Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Court88804
    Forum Member
    • Apr 2017

Hey, new to the forum but a long time lurker. I'm a 2014 applicant, female, veteran and fed law enforcement. I have completed everything and have been stuck in the dreaded background phase since last summer. My most recent news is my background is "under review", not sure what that means. hoping for some news soon!

Comment

• LOBO612
      Forum Member
      • Mar 2017

I like that: "Long time lurker"... sums up my decision to finally join the forum last month. Lol. Nice to see a fellow veteran here... looks like you too are in background check purgatory. I was told that since I deployed overseas, my background check would take a year or longer. I didn't believe it... but going on month 10.

Comment

• Court88804
        Forum Member
        • Apr 2017

yeah I've had some serious misscommunication with my background check. I've heard that there was no record of it and all the interviews were probably for another job, ive heard that it could take an additional year and then most recently that it was under review. It seems like it's best to just forget you applied and hope for the best.

Comment

• chipperjones
          Forum Member
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by LOBO612
          I like that: "Long time lurker"... sums up my decision to finally join the forum last month. Lol. Nice to see a fellow veteran here... looks like you too are in background check purgatory. I was told that since I deployed overseas, my background check would take a year or longer. I didn't believe it... but going on month 10.
          Since you deployed overseas it will take a year longer!?... I have 4 deployments and was stationed overseas for 4 years...jeesus does that mean my background will take years?...buckle in I guess

Comment

• fastrength
            Forum Member
            • Jul 2016

Originally posted by chipperjones

Since you deployed overseas it will take a year longer!?... I have 4 deployments and was stationed overseas for 4 years...jeesus does that mean my background will take years?...buckle in I guess
            Wouldn't say that it will have much determination..I also had 4 deployments, was stationed overseas for a year, lived in 2 different states, multiple employers, and my background was complete in about 10 months. I'd say it's all timing and luck, which investigator gets you file, how busy they are, how quickly they can reach and interview your contacts/references, etc.

Comment

• CDoubleOK
              Forum Member
              • May 2014

Does anybody know if any applicants have "officially" been extended an invite to the June BAT class?

Comment

• LOBO612
                Forum Member
                • Mar 2017

Originally posted by fastrength

Wouldn't say that it will have much determination..I also had 4 deployments, was stationed overseas for a year, lived in 2 different states, multiple employers, and my background was complete in about 10 months. I'd say it's all timing and luck, which investigator gets you file, how busy they are, how quickly they can reach and interview your contacts/references, etc.
                That is exactly the boat I'm in. Stationed in Japan for 3 years, 4 deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan, moved a lot once I got out active duty and I wish I would've taken a picture of my recruiter's face when I handed him my eQip. I was told that they have to send "leads" to everywhere I've been, including down range, so it would take a little over a year. I figured they were exaggerating... but 10 months later... still here. Maybe you're right... LUCK may play a big hand here. I'm processing out of Florida. I wonder if maybe that also adds to the timeline. At any rate, best of luck to everyone here. Hope to run into all of you at te academy. Whenever that may. E...

Comment

• ifaynshteyn
                  Forum Member
                  • Jan 2012

It's really unfortunate that the DEA uses OPM for its backgrounds whereas other agencies use their own proprietary backgrounds unit. OPM is such a mess, so inefficient, incommunicative, and untransparent about whether or not your actual background is being done. It took 3 months of runaround from OPM before I actually got a email/papertrail that my file was being looked at. One would think that OPM would push to get veterans on faster than civies like me...

Comment

• CitAltMax
                    Forum Member
                    • Feb 2016

Originally posted by CDoubleOK
                    Does anybody know if any applicants have "officially" been extended an invite to the June BAT class?
                    I know people are getting contacted to recert their PT tests in anticipation of the June class now. With the traditional timeline I would be surprised if anyone has gotten a firm offer 60-some days out, but they are trying to bring people in to their office of hire for one or two pay periods before the academy, so it should be soon.

Comment

• CitAltMax
                      Forum Member
                      • Feb 2016

Originally posted by ifaynshteyn
                      It's really unfortunate that the DEA uses OPM for its backgrounds whereas other agencies use their own proprietary backgrounds unit. OPM is such a mess, so inefficient, incommunicative, and untransparent about whether or not your actual background is being done. It took 3 months of runaround from OPM before I actually got a email/papertrail that my file was being looked at. One would think that OPM would push to get veterans on faster than civies like me...
                      Administrator Rosenberg has also said he thinks it's unfortunate. He has been working to get the authority back to DEA to be able to do their own background investigations. Naturally, since it's the government, it's not nearly as simple or as quick as a sane person would hope.

There are a lot of people within DEA that realize the length and unnecessary complexity of the process is costing DEA talented people.

Comment

• CDoubleOK
                        Forum Member
                        • May 2014

Originally posted by CitAltMax

I know people are getting contacted to recert their PT tests in anticipation of the June class now. With the traditional timeline I would be surprised if anyone has gotten a firm offer 60-some days out, but they are trying to bring people in to their office of hire for one or two pay periods before the academy, so it should be soon.
                        That sounds about right from what I've seen for previous classes... I've seen quite a few people get PT recerts over the past 4-6 weeks to include myself ... I hope to see someone saying they got "the call" soon so we all know the calls are officially starting...

Comment

• Blackhawk0990
                          Forum Member
                          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by CitAltMax

How offten do they let people come in early to start work before the academy?

Comment

• CitAltMax
                            Forum Member
                            • Feb 2016

Originally posted by Blackhawk0990

How offten do they let people come in early to start work before the academy?
                            My class was around 50/50. I've been told they are "trying" to up that number to get a lot of pay issues and account creation issues taken care of prior to getting to the academy.

Comment

• Assad
                              Forum Member
                              • Sep 2016

Any insight from someone knowledgeable would be appreciated. This is mainly directed at anyone who did not pass the application process for any reason, but more specifically due to the polygraph results being unfavorable. I've posted about this previously when it occurred but I am wondering if anyone can shed light on the current situation that has developed.

I took my poly Oct.3, 2016 and still have not "officially" heard back as to my results. I called HQ in December I believe asking for an update and they notified me that my application was discontinued for countermeasures. I called 3-5 times since then (last time being last week) and I have yet to receive an official word from anyone. I was told I would be sent a letter in the mail explanation the reason and giving me notification that I am not longer continuing, however that letter has not yet come...6 months later and still waiting. I've also been speaking to my recruiting agent and he initially told me that his system did not reflect what they told me over the phone about it being discontinued. I followed up with him a few weeks after our initial contact and he said that the system was updated to reflect that it was discontinued for countermeasures. We spoke again 2 days ago and he notified me that nothing was in his system about whether or not they sent a letter or when they plan on sending out letters to applicants in my position.

Has anyone had this experience with their poly results, where they aren't notified by an official letter? If I hadn't called myself and gotten the unofficial response, I would have presumed my results still have not been made available to my processing office and I just needed to continue waiting. My recruiting agent said he would contact someone on my behalf who can provide him with the status of that letter but I still have not heard back from him. What do you guys make of it? Are they required to send an official letter? I had everything completed in the process, no word on whether my BI was underway or not but I had filled out my SF86 right after Phase I test so it might have been underway.

Comment

• FedLEO 11B
                                FedLEO 11B commented
                                Editing a comment
                                No news is usually good news; however, you can contact your recruiter and ask about your status. Wherever you were tested at, call them direct. Go onto DEA's website and look for your local DEA office. It'll state the recruiter's information on it. Since you did that already, best to email and stay on it. They do not have to inform you.

After you fail the poly, like I did, it goes to Quality Control. The QC Agent would be the final determination. So basically you get two tries but the last one is basically them listening and reading your poly again. It takes about 6 months or so.
                                Last edited by FedLEO 11B; 04-25-2017, 01:15 AM.
                            • CDoubleOK
                              Forum Member
                              • May 2014

From what was discussed earlier in the forum (this was a big topic), "countermeasures" were the one disqualifying thing that couldn't be contested or appealed... Again this is only what I've read, I have not experienced any of this... All the applicants I saw that said they were said to have been using "countermeasures" said they were also informed that they would be receiving a DQ letter in the mail with what I'm assuming is more information related to the incident... Idk the turn around time on the letter or if they actually received it... You also don't typically hear anything about your poly unless there is some type of problem... Hope that helps...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 26741 users online. 72 members and 26669 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...