300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some info on federal agencies

So I'm starting to expand my LE job hunt to federal agencies now. I've been thinking about trying to get into some type of investigations or even computer forensics/cyber crime/any type of investigations I suppose. Would the FBI/DHS be my best bet to try to look out for or does almost every federal agency have some type of investigations unit? I'm currently 23 and have a BA in criminology so I don't know how much that helps since it's pretty competitive around here for local and state LE, I can only imagine federal. I'm also trying to find something in the north east area if possible. Connecticut if I'm lucky.

I've pretty much just been keeping an eye on usajobs and searching for job openings in my area, is that pretty much all I can do? Is a BA degree going to be able to help take me anywhere? Thanks for any insight.
    Last edited by NextGenOfc; 08-15-2014, 07:56 PM.

Just my .02........if you don't have vet point/preference........then you need to really get experience or education in a critical skill (Computers, Intel, Accounting, Law).

Comment

Go be a police officer somewhere for a few years and get your masters in one of those critical skills areas. The truth is that the job market for 1811 positions is crowded and very competitive. It would be really tough as a 23 year old with no LE experience and a BA in a non-critical field. By non-critical, I am basing that off of what the current FBI hiring standards are. Doesn't mean its impossible, and you've got nothing to lose by applying anyways. Plus, being a cop gets you a lot of great experience, and you'll get to do a lot of stuff that most career feds never do. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'm still thinking over the whole policing thing and if that's the route I want to go. I took a corrections exam recently and I'm not even sure about that either, even though doc wants to hire a lot of people and soon. I also took a protective services exam sometime in June. I Haven't really been able to make up my mind lately except for something having to do with investigations. I'll just have to keep looking around. I really don't want to go back to school haha but if that's really what I have to do then I'll have no choice but to reconsider it. I feel like I'm just at a standstill but that I should be somewhere by now.
        Last edited by NextGenOfc; 08-16-2014, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NextGenOfc View Post
          I feel like I'm just at a standstill but that I should be somewhere by now.
          Trust me bro, at 23 you have a lot of time to get somewhere

Any fed gig will take a few YEARS to land so keep bettering yourself while you apply; never stagnate in your career development. You will get there, but be ready for a long haul.

Comment

If you are serious about being a fed leo, then I would suggest doing local/state law enforcement for a few years. It'll give you the much needed experience to even begin to be competitive (and trust me, it's VERY competitive). Also, those few years at the local level will give you some perspective on what you want out of a career. I'm currently a fed and will probably retire as one, and I can still say, being a fed isn't everything. Take the next 5 yrs and work on improving yourself: local LE experience, learn a second language, get your masters...etc. I know 5 yrs sounds like a long time, but it's a solid and worthwhile investment.

Comment

What they said ^
              Experience + time = Increased opportunity in FLEO. Took me several years and lots of perseverance. You don't just nonchalantly land a job. You have to go get it. Sounds like you have the fortitude to go after it if that's what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by ccia84 View Post
                If you are serious about being a fed leo, then I would suggest doing local/state law enforcement for a few years. It'll give you the much needed experience to even begin to be competitive (and trust me, it's VERY competitive). Also, those few years at the local level will give you some perspective on what you want out of a career. I'm currently a fed and will probably retire as one, and I can still say, being a fed isn't everything. Take the next 5 yrs and work on improving yourself: local LE experience, learn a second language, get your masters...etc. I know 5 yrs sounds like a long time, but it's a solid and worthwhile investment.
                And that's the good thing about being a local first. You can still apply to fed jobs while getting the experience and perspective of what you want to do. If you like being a local narcotics detective, maybe DEA is better for you. If you like intelligence, then maybe the FBI, or if you're on the bomb squad, ATF is for you etc. Or you might decide to just stay a local and do a bit of everything. Don't make the mistake of being one of those guys who hold out for one position or agency to the point where it becomes obsessive and they end up wasting their time and effort in the end when they don't get it.

Comment

Yeah I just feel like there's tons of opportunities out there. Most, if not all of the federal jobs I've been seeing online want some type of experience so whether I land a job in policing or corrections it will hopefully be the experience they are looking for in the federal field. But a good point has been made that I may enjoy being at the local/state level...just have to wait and see. I wouldn't mind making my way into the detective division at some agency so I may want to stay there, who knows.

If I'm offered a job, it seems like corrections may be the first to offer the job because of the amount they're looking to hire and they want to hire very soon. So I could always start off there then bounce around in corrections if I want to stay or apply to police and go into that field. Just have to pretty much wait and see what comes up first and take that opportunity. Then I can always take a couple classes each semester to work toward a higher education in whichever area I want to pursue...just have to decide on which area I want that to be. I'm not sure how helpful a master's in CJ would be, so it may be a good idea to take classes in some other specific area.
                  Last edited by NextGenOfc; 08-17-2014, 05:16 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3568 users online. 204 members and 3364 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X