Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USMS DUSM vs FBI SA vs USSS SA... Who you got?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USMS DUSM vs FBI SA vs USSS SA... Who you got?

Hi all. Pardon the "catchy" title there. But wondering what the thoughts were here.
    If you were simultaneously offered the coveted law enforcement positions of:
    1) USMS Deputy US Marshal;
    2) FBI Special Agent;
    3) USSS Special Agent,
    Which would you choose and why? Quality of life? Agency reputation? Hours? Make your case here. Rank them in order of preference if you like. Let's hear your thoughts.

Tagged, interested in this response too

Comment

Originally posted by bayranger View Post
      Hi all. Pardon the "catchy" title there. But wondering what the thoughts were here.
      If you were simultaneously offered the coveted law enforcement positions of:
      1) USMS Deputy US Marshal;
      2) FBI Special Agent;
      3) USSS Special Agent,
      Which would you choose and why? Quality of life? Agency reputation? Hours? Make your case here. Rank them in order of preference if you like. Let's hear your thoughts.
      These three agencies are really very different from one another in the types of duties they do. Because of that, people will rank them differently I expect.

I'm a computer geek, so for me it would be FBI, USSS, and then USMS. That is because FBI and USSS have large computer crimes units. Some of the non-techie street cop types I work with would probably choose USMS as their first choice because of the fugitive work they do. Its all about what you want to do in law enforcement. All three are very well respected agencies.

All three tap out at GS-13 w/LEAP for journeyman I believe (unless USMS tops out at GS-12???). FBI and USSS start off as 1811s whereas DUSMs pick up their 1811 after a few years. FBI uses their own academy whereas USSS and USMS use the CITP program at FLETC and then break off into agency specific programs. All three have a presence in every corner of the country. FBI has the largest international presence of the three. USSS does the most traveling of the three.
      Last edited by Cyber_Saint; 08-14-2014, 04:16 AM.

Comment

You can't say it any better than this.. The usms IS in fact a journeyman up to a 12.
        Its Showtime! -- "The Icon" -- Sting.

Comment

US Marshals as where we sit, is probably one of the hardest to get in. Hiring take place every 3-4 years. Just to be invited to the exam you have to be a vet. Even then you still aren't guarantee a T/O or F/O. Everyone likes it because you get to routinely kick down doors once you make it on the task force.

Comment

Originally posted by Roninjin View Post
            US Marshals- Everyone likes it because you get to routinely kick down doors once you make it on the task force.
            Once you make it, IF you make it.

Just make sure you're okay with riding the pine for several years before you take this job. In my district that means 4-7 years before you have a shot at anything other than court. Meaning searching homeless drunks and babysitting bandits.

I can tell you that just like any other position, "everyone does not like it." 94 districts, 94 offices, many different stories.
            Last edited by yea_buddy2; 08-14-2014, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yea_buddy2 View Post

Just make sure you're okay with riding the pine for several years before you take this job. In my district that means 4-7 years before you have a shot at anything other than court. Meaning searching homeless drunks and babysitting bandits.

I can tell you that "everyone does not like it." 94 districts, 94 offices, many different stories.
              I believe it, thanks for chiming in man.

Comment

Originally posted by yea_buddy2 View Post

I can tell you that "everyone does not like it." 94 districts, 94 offices, many different stories.
                Wow, and he has only been on the job for around a year.

Comment

Hell, why not apply to ALL 3..

Comment

The only agency of the three where you will be doing only investigations is the FBI.

The USMS only does investigations on limited basis for something like fugitive apprehension, and in many districts, you have to work your way up to that level (from transporting prisoners and court duty).

At the USSS protection is job one. You can be in the middle of a big investigation but then would have to table it because a protectee is coming to town.
                    I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

My opinion would be in this particular order:

1. FBI
                      2. USSS
                      3. US Marshals

Reason why I placed FBI first is because that agency encompasses all aspects of LE and Intelligence Community. Throughout your career you have the ability to investigate all crimes do to their authority by Federal Law and Executive Order. If you want to go around and kick down doors then you can apply for the field SWAT teams. If you have the desire and the mental and physical capacity to achieve a special op tempo then you have your HRT teams that you never hear about. You also have the opportunity to be on the violent crime squads (aka FBI Top 10 Most Wanted). Like one FBI SA stated to me, "You can apply at another agency (1811) but your chances of being one dimensional are great whereas the FBI you will have far more opportunities of doing something else." and he want on to give me examples. Just my two cents and hopefully it helps!

Comment

Tough call between USMS and FBI. USSS would be third... But close. Depends on if uprooting for the multi-year protection detail of USSS bothers you or excites you. I think if you're looking for a more "steady" schedule (as steady as 1811 can be anyway) USSS would have to be last, if all other things were equal.
                        I agree FBI seems a good mix of opportunities to be satisfied with your work... Assuming you get those desired opportunities.
                        I know USMS seems to have a solid job satisfaction as long as the court details don't bother you. I know a DUSM and he works m-f 8-5ish and loves it. They do top out at step 12, btw. (edited out misinformation here).

I like eastwest2300's "apply to all 3" lol. Although technically, in this scenario, you've "applied" to all 3 and have all 3 giving you a final job offer and now you must pick 1. I think I'd give a slight edge to... FBI. For the GS-13 if nothing else since they are close picks for me.
                        Some solid points/logic in here thus far. Good stuff.
                        Last edited by bayranger; 08-15-2014, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber_Saint View Post
                          These three agencies are really very different from one another in the types of duties they do. Because of that, people will rank them differently I expect.

I'm a computer geek, so for me it would be FBI, USSS, and then USMS. That is because FBI and USSS have large computer crimes units. Some of the non-techie street cop types I work with would probably choose USMS as their first choice because of the fugitive work they do. Its all about what you want to do in law enforcement. All three are very well respected agencies.

All three tap out at GS-13 w/LEAP for journeyman I believe (unless USMS tops out at GS-12???). FBI and USSS start off as 1811s whereas DUSMs pick up their 1811 after a few years. FBI uses their own academy whereas USSS and USMS use the CITP program at FLETC and then break off into agency specific programs. All three have a presence in every corner of the country. FBI has the largest international presence of the three. USSS does the most traveling of the three.
                          True. FBI uses their own Academy and USSS & USMS uses FLETC CITP Academy... But, USSS has THEIR own Academy in MD (edited/corrected) you would attend after graduating CITP. And it's longer than CITP. So very lengthy training for USSS. Whatever that's worth to you.
                          Last edited by bayranger; 08-15-2014, 11:22 AM.

Comment

They all have their perks and let downs.

Loved working with USMS, but FBI seems to have way more money to throw around. Sucks that USMS is journeyman 12 too.

Comment

Originally posted by bayranger View Post
                              I know USMS seems to have a solid job satisfaction as long as the court details don't bother you. I know a DUSM and he works m-f 8-5ish and loves it. They do top out at step 12, btw. And they don't get LEAP, they get AUO. Pretty close to same thing salary-wise except they work a yearly avg of 10/day vs consistent 10 hour days (not much difference in reality). Also LEAP counts as your base salary (read: TSP / PENSION), whereas AUO is treated like regular overtime pay. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong there but I believe that's accurate.
                              Once you switch to an 1811 you also get LEAP (as I understand it).

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3338 users online. 177 members and 3161 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X