Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• metro PD vc. Fed. LE

Good Morning All,

I'm currently torn between which direction I want to take. I'm processing for both a metro PD and FLEO position. Putting salary and benefits aside, which direction would give me more overall LE experience? What I don't want to happen is to get into Fed LE and be spending 5 years performing a very limited scope of duties and have that affect my career advancement, whether that be with the same agency, or another. I know with a metro PD i will be exposed to a variety of situations and could gain experience with that.

What would you do?

I'm currently active duty and am pursuing both avenues very agressively.

"FLEO" is too vague. There are a bunch of different agencies that have different duties and responsibilities.

Comment

yeah, FLEO doesn't give much to go on AND it depends on where you want to end up for a career too.

Comment

The FLEO im looking at is SSUD.

Comment

Ok, so you are doing SS UD. The only thing left to put in this equation is your end goal. Are you looking to go into general criminal investigations, personal protection, intelligence, counter terrorism, homicide, narcotics..........what?? Think about way down the road.....What JOB do you see yourself retiring from??

Comment

US Secret Service - UD....? For your first few years you will be standing access control points.....checking badges and keeping people away from the area.

After that, they do have a ton of stuff that you can get into........ but you will be competing against your peers for those jobs. Some need hooks, others don't. Real cool ones need hooks.

Standing outside the WH, when its -10, in snow, and in the middle of Jan is a fact of life for a newbee....
            "It ain't about how hard you hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward...."

Comment

Originally posted by patriot772 View Post
              Ok, so you are doing SS UD. The only thing left to put in this equation is your end goal. Are you looking to go into general criminal investigations, personal protection, intelligence, counter terrorism, homicide, narcotics..........what?? Think about way down the road.....What JOB do you see yourself retiring from??
              I like to be in the thick of things. I thrive off of fast paced, challenging situations. The PD i am hoping to process with is in my hometown and really like being involved in the community and influencing others. I could easily see myself enjoying patrol work for years, with some investigative work thrown in. I would continuously pursue leadership roles, just as i have for the last 10 years in the military. On the SS-UD side, the opportunity to travel to different locations providing security at different events/locations has my interest, but that may get old fast for me. Obviously, the federal benefits are great, but so does the prospect of being able to settle down in one place for the first time.

Comment

I would take the FLEO position.

Comment

Originally posted by MLMaas View Post
                  On the SS-UD side, the opportunity to travel to different locations providing security at different events/locations has my interest, but that may get old fast for me.
                  That's not going to happen right off the bat. You've got to do your time on posts before you are allowed to travel.
                  "It ain't about how hard you hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward...."

Comment

Originally posted by Caballero1508 View Post
                    Curious as to why you are saying that...?

Picking family up and moving to DC isn't the greatest thing in the world to do. Cost of living there stinks, long hours standing a post when first hired on, pay isn't the greatest in the world, tossing kids into a new school system, trying to find a decent place to live, etc......all on your dime because Feds won't pay for first move.

BTDT.

Comment

Originally posted by Caballero1508 View Post
                      Interesting! No rhyme or reason. Just.........."I would take the FLEO position"??

I like to be in the thick of things. I thrive off of fast paced, challenging situations. The PD i am hoping to process with is in my hometown and really like being involved in the community and influencing others. I could easily see myself enjoying patrol work for years, with some investigative work thrown in. I would continuously pursue leadership roles, just as i have for the last 10 years in the military. On the SS-UD side, the opportunity to travel to different locations providing security at different events/locations has my interest, but that may get old fast for me. Obviously, the federal benefits are great, but so does the prospect of being able to settle down in one place for the first time.
                      Great! My recommendation would be to go with the local PD. You will get a ton more experience working as a local cop than you will as a UD officer and you can stay in one spot for awhile. I say this knowing a ton of UD guys. Most of them worked a post for a couple years before they moved into more "interesting" jobs..........AND working a post sounds mind-numbing to me. The amount of arrests you'll make will be limited. I know a 17yr veteran of UD and he's only made 3 arrests in his entire career. You learn nothing about the court system or policing by working in a job like UD. It's all about site security; which is useful to somebody who wants to eventually move into a job like executive protection, force protection, or owning your own business in security.

Go the local route and eventually, when DEA, ATF, or ICE/HSI open up, apply to those FLEO positions and then you can move into something investigative. My 2 cents....

Comment

Look at it long term. I think if you want to get into one of the big FED LEO agencies then you need a good dept where you can grow and get experience before having a chance of moving on. If you want to start clocking your years in as a fed employee and then maybe having a chance of of moving up.

Comment

Good Morning All,

I'm currently torn between which direction I want to take. I'm processing for both a metro PD and FLEO position. Putting salary and benefits aside, which direction would give me more overall LE experience? What I don't want to happen is to get into Fed LE and be spending 5 years performing a very limited scope of duties and have that affect my career advancement, whether that be with the same agency, or another. I know with a metro PD i will be exposed to a variety of situations and could gain experience with that.

What would you do?

I'm currently active duty and am pursuing both avenues very agressively.
                          In my humble opinion, from someone who has done BOTH jobs and is now a current fed..... Dear god pursue local law enforcement . Pursue it like it's a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. If I could afford to take my decision back and get out of an office, away from the ridiculousness, away from fluorescent lights, and back into the action, I would do it TOMORROW and I would pack all my ***** in my GOV and tell them where to pick it up.

Local law enforcement is the military equivalent of a grunt, in the action, the people that matter the most , the ones that get their hands dirty. FEDs are the clueless ranking officers making tactical decisions from 1000 miles away. Cops are sheepdogs. We need sheepdogs in the field, amongst the herd, not in an office, not manning a metal detector, not protecting a museum access point.

Go grab a vest and a gun belt, strap yourself into a patrol car, and go for the ride of your life. You will never look back.
                          USMS Region 3
                          Info Session: Aug 2009 (Atlanta)
                          Interview: 10/26/09 (Atlanta)
                          Conditional Offer: 1/15/10
                          BackgroundInt: 2/1/10
                          Medical:2/15/10
                          MedicalReview: 4/15/10
                          FIT: 5/10/10 (Excellent)
                          Drug: 6/5/10
                          Fletc: APRIL 6, 2011!!!
                          Duty Station: Laredo,Tx

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
                          Border Patrol AgentApplied: 11/15/10
                          Written: 12/27/10
                          NOR: 12/29/10 (96)
                          To:
                          Medical:

Comment

Go with a good local department. Working for the fed sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by jtl323 View Post
                              In my humble opinion, from someone who has done BOTH jobs and is now a current fed..... Dear god pursue local law enforcement . Pursue it like it's a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. If I could afford to take my decision back and get out of an office, away from the ridiculousness, away from fluorescent lights, and back into the action, I would do it TOMORROW and I would pack all my ***** in my GOV and tell them where to pick it up.

Local law enforcement is the military equivalent of a grunt, in the action, the people that matter the most , the ones that get their hands dirty. FEDs are the clueless ranking officers making tactical decisions from 1000 miles away. Cops are sheepdogs. We need sheepdogs in the field, amongst the herd, not in an office, not manning a metal detector, not protecting a museum access point.

Go grab a vest and a gun belt, strap yourself into a patrol car, and go for the ride of your life. You will never look back.
                              That's awesome. You made me want to go to work tomorrow. Sometimes you forget how incredible of a job being a cop is and how many people want it. Seems like for a lot of people things get fuzzy if you are LUCKY enough to get it.... And you start to lose touch of every reason you wanted it in the first place. Thanks for that post, man.
                              Formerly "TheAxolotl"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4340 users online. 240 members and 4100 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X