300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still Looking to Get into Law Enforcement but I am 40 YO

Hi everyone, I am in the great state of Illinois but unfortunately they have a max age of 34 years of in most departments. I know out of state many departments have a max age of 44-45 and some don't have one. My question is that do I still have a shot even though I am 40 years old? I tested for years in Illinois and did get on many lists but never did get the chance. I have a Bachelors in criminal justice, clean background and I am working out to get in shape again. I still want a career in law enforcement but will agencies give me a chance even though I am 40?

65 ilcs 5/10-2.1-6

Comment

Sir,

Try the US Department of Veterans Affairs Police. There's sure to be a VA hospital or clinic in your vicinity. Once you get it in, it is easy to roll-over to another agency. I was hired at 40+ and just retired.

A thought; nearly every branch of government has a law enforcement component, usually a uniformed position.

Good luck, Len

Comment

What part of the state are you in?

Comment

Originally posted by scott40 View Post
          Hi everyone, I am in the great state of Illinois but unfortunately they have a max age of 34 years of in most departments. I know out of state many departments have a max age of 44-45 and some don't have one. My question is that do I still have a shot even though I am 40 years old? I tested for years in Illinois and did get on many lists but never did get the chance. I have a Bachelors in criminal justice, clean background and I am working out to get in shape again. I still want a career in law enforcement but will agencies give me a chance even though I am 40?
          It is not an issue in the State of Florida. My academy class consisted of several retired military : late 40s and a gentleman that was in his 50s. Several of them smoked us younger guys in PT.

Additionally, Texas DPS (Department of Public Safety) states on their website that there us no maximum age requirement.

Comment

Thanks for the info Len, I will be looking into it!

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeDoctor View Post
              What part of the state are you in?
              I am in the south burbs of Chicago. Homer glen IL.

Comment

Originally posted by Caballero1508 View Post
                It is not an issue in the State of Florida. My academy class consisted of several retired military : late 40s and a gentleman that was in his 50s. Several of them smoked us younger guys in PT.

Additionally, Texas DPS (Department of Public Safety) states on their website that there us no maximum age requirement.
                Caballero thanks for the info. I will look into it. I have been thinking of testing out of state for a while. Never been married or have kids, so it would be a refreshing start to work out of state. Thanks for the info too. Are there alot of departments looking for recruits in Florida? I had a friend a few years back testing out in Florida but couldn't land anything due to "no one was hiring" what he was told.

Comment

Originally posted by scott40 View Post
                  Caballero thanks for the info. I will look into it. I have been thinking of testing out of state for a while. Never been married or have kids, so it would be a refreshing start to work out of state. Thanks for the info too. Are there alot of departments looking for recruits in Florida? I had a friend a few years back testing out in Florida but couldn't land anything due to "no one was hiring" what he was told.
                  There are several agencies that are hiring in Florida. To name a few agencies I know are hiring off the top of my head : Escambia County Sheriff's Office, Florida Highway Patrol, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation.

The two state agencies i named will pay for you to go through their academy. Escambia does pay recruits sometimes which will be advertised on their website. None of the three have maximum age requirements either and I believe your degree and life experience can help. Most of my co-workers dont have a degree and write horrible reports.

The agencies in South Florida have a lot of applicants, so that may be where the "no one is hiring" comes from. A co-worker of mine in North Florida with two years of sworn experience has been trying to move to Orlando area and has yet to hear back from several of the larger agencies.

Additionally, many of the smaller agencies want recruits that are already certified. So there is the option to self-sponsor through an academy but there is no guarantee to get hired.
                  Last edited by Caballero1508; 07-09-2014, 06:04 AM.

Comment

I am from Lemont, and I went through FLETC at 40. I had many retired mil guys in their 40's in my class. Try to swing a FED gig through USAjobs. Are you a Vet?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5207 users online. 321 members and 4886 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X