300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal Resume Review

I would like to have my resume reviewed/critiqued. Does anyone know of any respectible companies that review federal resumes for applicants?

I searched google and there are a lot of companies that review resumes but who knows who is on the other side reviewing your resume. It could be some high school dropout.

Originally posted by hangman View Post
    I would like to have my resume reviewed/critiqued. Does anyone know of any respectible companies that review federal resumes for applicants?

I searched google and there are a lot of companies that review resumes but who knows who is on the other side reviewing your resume. It could be some high school dropout.

Save your money unless you are going for a SES position- even then you can usually rely on anyone capable of reading to first proof it, then see if it melds into the particular announcement. There really isn’t any secret list of keywords as some have claimed- it’s all about conveying a succinct yet comprehensive narrative of your experience and qualifications in a manner that meets not just the position description but also the key elements laid out in the vacancy announcement.

I will strongly caveat my advice with this- more and more announcements are very clear about the practice of cutting and pasting elements of the announcement into your application. Literally, folks are copying the announcement verbatim and pasting it into their resume. Don’t be that applicant.
    Originally posted by SSD
    It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603
    And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

I have been applying on USAJobs for about two years. My resume has changed a little but over all it is the same and I did my own resume with a little research with google. I have applied for multiple 1811 positions and was kicked back for a GS-7 and referred for a GS-12 in the same week. Don't waste your money. It is not you, it is them.
      Croc

There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

Ernest Hemingway

"The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman

Comment

Originally posted by sgt jon View Post
        There really isn’t any secret list of keywords as some have claimed- it’s all about conveying a succinct yet comprehensive narrative of your experience and qualifications in a manner that meets not just the position description but also the key elements laid out in the vacancy announcement.
        +1 to this. I recently redid my resume based off some feedback from an SAC, and succinct is key here. Previously I had long narratives for each position that clearly laid out my experience as a lay person could understand it. However, I was getting fewer responses with that format then I had in the past using my private sector resume. I have only applied to one vacancy announcement since the change, but I have a feeling that my resume was getting kicked back because it took too long for the HR people to read through the descriptions and find the relevant experience.

Hope that helps a bit.

Comment

On my resume, for each position I have held, I wrote a brief narrative that explains the work I perfromed. Below that I laid out the key skills/experience I have gained in capitalized letters. For example, I wrote LAW ENFORCEMENT OPERATIONS-enforced CFR/US Code blah, blah...

SEARCHES/SEIZURES: Seized marijuana, followed policy regarding evidence collection and storage, blah, blah...

What do you think about that format?

Comment

On my resume, for each position I have held, I wrote a brief narrative that explains the work I perfromed. Below that I laid out the key skills/experience I have gained in capitalized letters. For example, I wrote LAW ENFORCEMENT OPERATIONS-enforced CFR/US Code blah, blah...

SEARCHES/SEIZURES: Seized marijuana, followed policy regarding evidence collection and storage, blah, blah...

What do you think about that format?
            I tried exactly what you are describing with the latest USSS SA announcement and was not referred to testing. However, I have applied with them for the last three SA announcements and have never made it through the gate. I don't think they like me for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by saone View Post
              I tried exactly what you are describing with the latest USSS SA announcement and was not referred to testing. However, I have applied with them for the last three SA announcements and have never made it through the gate. I don't think they like me for some reason.
              What email did you receive that you weren't selected for the latest usss announcement?
              I'm asking because mine still says reviewing applications.

Comment

Originally posted by 00BCK View Post
                What email did you receive that you weren't selected for the latest usss announcement?
                I'm asking because mine still says reviewing applications.
                Just the email that said "in a few days you can check your USAJobs for updated status." I checked, and it said not referred.

Comment

Just the email that said "in a few days you can check your USAJobs for updated status." I checked, and it said not referred.
                  It's not you... I'm in the same boat. I feel like I have relevant experience, but I'm still getting crushed by vet points.
                  Try and try again.

Comment

You probably don't need a new resume but just incase on fed smith.com a few DC area fed resume places advertise. One of them use to be run by a lady who went to grad school with a family member. This lady worked for opm for a long time at a high level. She left opm and started her own resume service that was legit. I know a number of people who used it and got hired over years . But she retired a few years ago and I can't speak for the quality of any of the other services available today.

The reality is connections are what really matters when getting hired and promoted within the federal gov. And elsewhere for that matter. Vet points and a good resume will probably get you to the desk of the manager who does the hiring but having an uncle who plays golf with some SES boss will get you the job.

Comment

So what exactly happens when you apply for a fed. job? I know you have to fill out an experience/skills questionaire plus upload your resume, transcripts, etc. Does you score on the questionaire determine if an HR person will review your resume?

Are keywords important? Some say yes, other say no.

How did you guys structure your resume?

Comment

Hi, Jan 2014 USSS applicant here. I agree, it may not be you or your qualifications, it may be them. I was referred, and my qualifications aren't as high as some of the people on here that are getting turned down. I think the key lies in a couple of things: 1. I wouldn't use narratives. I would use concise, but detailed bulletpoints describing key things you've done in your positions. Try to describe things that require traits that SA's would use, such as decision making, judgment, dealing with public, dealing with team members, planning, leading people and/or projects, just to name a few. Try to tailor your resume towards the section stating "how you will be evaluated" and by previewing the applicant questionnaire.

Second, I believe the key may lie in having strong responses to the questionnaire, and having detailed yet conscise statements on your resume to support them. And yes I have vet points, but that's no guaranteed ticket. Oddly enough, the same qualifications that got me reffered for SA weren't enough to get me referred for UD (twice)

Third, it could be how fast you get it in. They may cut applicants once they've gone though a certain number of "highly qualified" applicants. Or hell, I could have it all wrong and they just pick names out of a hat, lol. Don't give up,you'll get there!

Comment

Originally posted by sa_applicant View Post
                          Hi, Jan 2014 USSS applicant here. I agree, it may not be you or your qualifications, it may be them. I was referred, and my qualifications aren't as high as some of the people on here that are getting turned down. I think the key lies in a couple of things: 1. I wouldn't use narratives. I would use concise, but detailed bulletpoints describing key things you've done in your positions. Try to describe things that require traits that SA's would use, such as decision making, judgment, dealing with public, dealing with team members, planning, leading people and/or projects, just to name a few. Try to tailor your resume towards the section stating "how you will be evaluated" and by previewing the applicant questionnaire.

Second, I believe the key may lie in having strong responses to the questionnaire, and having detailed yet conscise statements on your resume to support them. And yes I have vet points, but that's no guaranteed ticket. Oddly enough, the same qualifications that got me reffered for SA weren't enough to get me referred for UD (twice)

Third, it could be how fast you get it in. They may cut applicants once they've gone though a certain number of "highly qualified" applicants. Or hell, I could have it all wrong and they just pick names out of a hat, lol. Don't give up,you'll get there!

How long after you noticed on usajobs that you were referred did it take until you received any further information?
                          I just noticed I was referred for the May/2014 announcement.

Comment

Originally posted by sa_applicant View Post
                            1. I wouldn't use narratives. I would use concise, but detailed bulletpoints describing key things you've done in your positions. Try to describe things that require traits that SA's would use, such as decision making, judgment, dealing with public, dealing with team members, planning, leading people and/or projects, just to name a few.
                            I agree with this. I have been using narratives, and it has not worked very well. I am going back to a private sector style resume.

Comment

Originally posted by 00BCK View Post
                              How long after you noticed on usajobs that you were referred did it take until you received any further information?
                              I just noticed I was referred for the May/2014 announcement.
                              It took about a month for my USAJOBS status to change to referred, and was contacted about a month after that by my FO to take the SAEE. And don't be surprised if the actual day you get scheduled for the SAEE is several weeks after what is listed in the announcement.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4204 users online. 213 members and 3991 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X