300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USSS Special Officer

Looking for any information on the Special Officer position of the USSS. They announced openings a little while back, anyone referred to this posting?

They did interviews last month. I had a phone interview with the Chief and Deputy Chief of the division. The DC said selections would be coming soon. They had 35 openings and 800 applicants. If you are not a veteran Don"t plan on getting selected as during the interview they advised the entire unit is all Vets.

Comment

I knew a person that did this job, I would say this, this is a stepping stone job, once you're in, its VERY hard to get out of, the morale wasnt the best, and people are trying to leave or they're stuck in the job because they're too old to move on or they're being black balled by the Chief Special Officer, there are several jobs the USSS is offering, this is the last one I'd look into. If anything, look into the Uniform Division, at least there, you're not trapped, and it'd be easier for you to move around once you've done it for some time.

The worst thing that could happen is you could get into it and hate it, and unfortunately according to my friend, this is the case with this job and the people currently in it..
      Last edited by eastwest2300; 05-07-2014, 03:37 PM.
      Its Showtime! -- "The Icon" -- Sting.

Comment

tell me more of what your friend did there..

Comment

From the USSS website:

Special officers perform a wide range of security functions and support assignments as part of the protective mission for the Secret Service. Assignments may include maintaining designated protective security posts; inspecting all operational, safety, emergency, and convenience equipment of protective vehicles to ensure peak operating condition; driving protective vehicle or follow-up; controlling the movement of persons into and around multiple Secret Service facilities and associated areas; monitoring and operating various communications equipment; and employing various advanced x-ray screening technologies in order to detect and identify high-risk items. Special officers are authorized to make arrests in connection with their official duties.

Special officers are usually hired at the GL-7 or GL-8 level, depending on individual qualifications. The full performance level for a special officer is GL-9. Selection for promotion for positions above the GL-9 level is competitive.
          I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

Goldbadge thanks a ton... I read that on the USSS site, but as you know, the job descriptions and the actual duties performed can differ, sometimes ALOT. I was looking for both the person who actually oes the job and is satified and the ones who are not. I was hoping to see the pros n cons of the job. any takers?
            Last edited by PHSeaBee; 05-08-2014, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PHSeaBee View Post
              Goldbadge thanks a ton... I read that on the USSS site, but as you know, the job descriptions and the actual duties performed can differ, sometimes ALOT. I was looking for both the person who actually oes the job and is satified and the ones who are not. I was hoping to see the pros n cons of the job. any takers?
              I usually hate when people suggest this, but in this case it may be useful; do a web search - lots of good stuff you can piece together to get a good idea.

There's a poster named "Kimble" who had a close family member who was a USSS SO, you may want to reach out to him.
              I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

thanks Goldbadge

Comment

I have a good friend that I worked with when I was a USSS UD officer who decided to make the move from UD to be a Special Officer, so that he would be able to move out of the DC area to work at one of the former President's residences and live closer to where he and his wife were from. He has been a Special Officer for about 6 years now, but he is taking a job as a Postal Inspector in the near future. I think that he started the hiring process with the Postal Inspection Service before he was a Special Officer though. There was at least 1 other UD Officer from my training class that I know of that took a Special Officer position after being UD for a couple of years, so that he could also move out of the DC area and get closer to home. The statement above about the entire division being Vets is not entirely accurate, since I know that the fist friend that I mentioned above is not a veteran; though already being a USSS employee probably helped him out there.

Comment

Originally posted by bellyer View Post
                    The statement above about the entire division being Vets is not entirely accurate, since I know that the fist friend that I mentioned above is not a veteran; though already being a USSS employee probably helped him out there.
                    This is just what came out of the Chief's mouth during my interview.

Comment

I wouldnt trust it..

Comment

The people in the unit right now, are NOT all vets, most of the people there are old timers, in line to retire, and have been there SEVERAL years, they are currently hiring ONLY vets because its a presdential initiative to hire vets right now, and has been this way for the past couple of years, the people there that have been there for years didnt fall into the current presidential initiative.

Be advised, you will most likely (95%, if I had to estimate) be placed at the Headquarters building (downtown DC, very close to Chinatown), the chances of you going to a former residence is VERY VERY slim. I would DEFINITELY NOT count on it.

Comment

My only question to whoever is considering this job is why wouldnt you consider going into the Uniform Division, which gives you a TON of options to do different things inside of the agency, ie. K9, Magnetometers, Counter Sniper, and other Specialized Units... doing actual Law Enforcement duties, making a ton more money, AND getting to travel. Oh, and I almost forgot, in the Uniform Division, you'll get to go to the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC)

Makes sense to me.

At any rate, good luck.
                          Last edited by eastwest2300; 05-09-2014, 12:02 PM.

Comment

bellyer shoot me a PM got a question for ya. Thanks

Originally posted by bellyer View Post
                            I have a good friend that I worked with when I was a USSS UD officer who decided to make the move from UD to be a Special Officer, so that he would be able to move out of the DC area to work at one of the former President's residences and live closer to where he and his wife were from. He has been a Special Officer for about 6 years now, but he is taking a job as a Postal Inspector in the near future. I think that he started the hiring process with the Postal Inspection Service before he was a Special Officer though. There was at least 1 other UD Officer from my training class that I know of that took a Special Officer position after being UD for a couple of years, so that he could also move out of the DC area and get closer to home. The statement above about the entire division being Vets is not entirely accurate, since I know that the fist friend that I mentioned above is not a veteran; though already being a USSS employee probably helped him out there.

Comment

Originally posted by eastwest2300 View Post
                              My only question to whoever is considering this job is why wouldnt you consider going into the Uniform Division
                              I'd go with either age or doesn't want to do the UD stuff.

I've got plenty of friends in Fed LE/Fed jobs that don't move up or around because they are happy with what they are currently doing..... Maybe this dude see's the job that he would like to do and just wants to do it..?

Just a thought...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5324 users online. 315 members and 5009 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X