300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USAID - Foreign Service Criminal Investigator

Ok, anyone with any information on this job please don't hesitate to post. I've seen at least 2-3 announcements per year and I'm guessing they almost always take current or prior 1811's. From reading the announcement it sounds like they travel just as much as DSS Agents and fall within the foreign service. If there are any current agents on the forum please pm me or post directly in this thread. It seems like if you're into foreign travel and fraud cases this is the job for you.

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/PrintPreview/365738100

Questions:

1. Overseas assignments
    2. Do you need to have CITP already completed?
    3. Journeyman level
    4. Recent graduates accepted?
    5. CPA or JD candidates more likely to be hired?
    6. Size of agency?

Thanks,

In advance

Top,
    Last edited by TopGun87; 04-28-2014, 04:18 PM.
    The only easy day was yesterday. - BUDS Instructor

I ran into a USAID SA in DC last year, and from what I remember, you start in DC for 3 years or so, then OCONUS 3-4 years…repeat. CITP wouldn't be needed for the entry level hires. The journeyman level is where someone with DSS could probably help you out better, I was told that you can be non-supervisory equivalent of a GS15, which would be FS-1 I think. They have posted entry level in the past, but ended up taking the best qualified, running different grade announcements at the same time. Small agency, I believe under 50 total in FS, with some civil service 1811's as well. At one point they had a list of critical needs on the website, along with overseas stations. Getting tenure in FS and the journeyman level had me confused, so maybe someone else can chime in.

Comment

Pay-wise a GS-15 is basically an FS-1.

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/219805.pdf

They do a lot of fraud investigations. Last I heard it was 38 Special Agents a couple of years ago. They are pretty understrength compared to the number of fraud investigations they do. In D.C. you will do a lot of TDYs overseas for investigations.

Foreign service tenure is required to be converted to a permanent position. Before you get tenure you are in a 5 year temporary position. I do not know how USAID works but in DOS pretty much everyone gets tenure. In DS you go before the tenure board after you have 3 years or so on and if you do not get tenure the first time which isn't uncommon then you will get tenure a year later. If you are a civil service USAID SA then there isn't any tenure. It works the normal civil service way.

Comment

@ The Grizz - I thought all new agents have to attend CITP? Does USAID waive your training until a later date?

@jb74 - Does USAID have to bid for overseas post similar to DS? Are agents limited to bidding for the 9 posted overseas offices or can you be placed in any embassy within your region.

Thanks,

Overseas Offices
        Cairo, Egypt
        Dakar, Senegal
        Manila Philippines
        Pretoria, South Africa
        San Salvador, El Salvador
        Port-au-Prince, Haiti
        Islamabad, Pakistan
        Kabul, Afghanistan
        Tel Aviv, Israel
        Last edited by TopGun87; 04-29-2014, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Not waived until a later date...just meant CITP is not a prereq to get hired, you'll just go after hired like other entry level 1811 slots.

Comment

Does anyone have any idea how long domestic assignments are in D.C. prior to being assigned overseas? I've heard 2-3 years, however I'm guessing TDY's are readily available similarly to DSS.

Comment

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/PrintPreview/373158900

Well, apparently USAID reposted another vacancy for a Foreign Service Criminal Investigator at the FP-5/GS-11 level with specific requirements for completion of CITP or its equivalent. The vacancy also states that the full promotion potential is FP-1/GS-15 level, nice! I imagine they're looking for 1811's with a background in major fraud or white collar crime. I'm guessing the high turnover comes from the extensive foreign travel required and other issues. Sounds like an awesome gig IMO.

Comment

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/PrintPreview/374722900

USAID just posted another vacancy at the FS-6 or GS-9 level. Does anyone have any inside information on hiring and morale at this agency? They seem to post vacancies pretty often and only have 25-30 agent slots.

Thanks,
                Last edited by TopGun87; 07-07-2014, 06:38 PM.

Comment

So, it looks like USAID has extended its vacancy for FP-6/GS-9 until the end of the year. The announcement states a few vacancies in multiple locations, I'm guessing overseas. If there's a Criminal Investigator from USAID on the forum it would sure help to get some inside info. Sometime I think I'm the only one on the thread interested in a position like this....lol

This vacancy announcement has been amended to extend the closing date to December 31, 2014. There will be a cutoff date beginning August 07, 2014, and every 30 days thereafter until December 31, 2014.

MULTIPLE POSITIONS IN VARIOUS DUTY LOCATIONS ARE BEING FILLED UNDER THIS ANNOUNCEMENT.

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/374722900
                  Last edited by TopGun87; 07-20-2014, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TopGun87 View Post
                    So, it looks like USAID has extended its vacancy for FP-6/GS-9 until the end of the year. The announcement states a few vacancies in multiple locations, I'm guessing overseas. If there's a Criminal Investigator from USAID on the forum it would sure help to get some inside info. Sometime I think I'm the only one on the thread interested in a position like this....lol

This vacancy announcement has been amended to extend the closing date to December 31, 2014. There will be a cutoff date beginning August 07, 2014, and every 30 days thereafter until December 31, 2014.

MULTIPLE POSITIONS IN VARIOUS DUTY LOCATIONS ARE BEING FILLED UNDER THIS ANNOUNCEMENT.
                    I hope someone can say anything about this position. This position can also have the potential to be open and cancelled

Comment

Weird that they would extend the vacancy. I can't imagine any 1811 opening having a shortage of applicants.

Comment

I applied for the position as well. I've never applied for it in the past. We'll see what happens.

Comment

I also put in for this. Good luck to all in the process!

Comment

How many of you are already 1811's?

Comment

1801 here.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4986 users online. 305 members and 4681 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X