Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to backstop a confidential informant?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to backstop a confidential informant?

I am new in the drug game and cultivated a CI. Just looking for some advice from you senior guys on how to backstop a CI or get him out the picture so don't have to use him in complaint etc?

Any advice or tactics from you experienced guys would be appreciated!!

If anyone chooses to reply to this thread, please do so by private message only.

Comment

The senior guys in your unit would be the better source of info on this. Not the new hire section on an internet forum...

Comment

As saone pointed out, the proper question is why is this thread in the Law Enforcement Job forum?

Comment

Backstopping and/or keeping a CI's identity confidential is fundamental for any police/investigative agency. Your agency should policies on it, if you're new to it, consult with a seasoned investigator within your agency.
          I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff_west View Post
            I am new in the drug game and cultivated a CI. Just looking for some advice from you senior guys on how to backstop a CI or get him out the picture so don't have to use him in complaint etc?

Have you thought about meeting the informant in a dark alley and terminating him?

Just kidding,

I think the advice provided by others is correct!
            Last edited by TopGun87; 04-24-2014, 07:58 PM.
            The only easy day was yesterday. - BUDS Instructor

Comment

Buy him a cake with matching boots

Comment

Originally posted by jeff_west View Post

Without going into methods I will note that you are confusing things- which evidences you nascent investigative experience. Point is that “backstopping” is not related to using a source/informant for introductions per se- it deals with source validation, etc.

I would strongly recommend you first consult with your agency policy, the DOJ guide to use of human sources, and consult with your senior personnel.

And as already noted- a public forum is NOT the place to discuss sources, methods or operational aspects of this sort.
                Originally posted by SSD
                It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
                Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Go watch season 3 & 4 of "The Shield". Vic Mackey and the Strike Team are a wealth of information.
                  Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3120 users online. 157 members and 2963 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X