300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USFWS Land Management LEO 1801

Hello all, just wondering if anyone out there has any 'new' info on the Land Management Law Enforcement Officer spots for US Fish and Wildlife Service?

I know I've talked to a couple guys on here about but those were from threads from years ago.

I'm pretty much just wondering how many times I'll have to apply to these spots before I snag one. I'm a current 0083 for BIA with LMPT certification but I feel like I can't seem to make the cut.

What else can I add to my resume short of a Master's to be competitive? Any info will help.

Thanks

Be ready for a LONG wait. The federal budget hasn't been nice for USFWS. From what I have heard it will be two years before any real hiring will be done, there may be a position here or there in the coming years, but no significant hiring for probably for another two years. They did just have a position close about a week ago.

Problem is with the reduced hiring comes a higher demand for the job. Be prepared for a lot of NPS LE Rangers applying who also have LMPT but also are working in federal natural resource/land management law enforcement. Having LMPT is definitely great for you and will put you ahead of many, but there's a ton of NPS guys looking to jump ship and they not only have LMPT but are basically doing the same job as a Federal Wildlife Officer (they don't call themselves Land Management LEOs) in their current uniform.

Unfortunately getting into land management LE right now is difficult because of the budget. USFS will not be hiring for 3 years, they had a 15% self initiated cut last year and are proposing a self initiated 1% cut for FY 2015. BLM as an agency is looking at a reduced budget for FY 2015. USFWS' budget for refuge LE is stagnant for FY 2015. The only agency looking at increases is the NPS. Problem with NPS is you could definitely apply and are eligible but there's a lot of internal movement right now.

My advice: Get your EMT certification and start applying to the NPS for their permanent jobs. Once in the NPS you'll get into land management LE and will look better for the other land management agencies.

Comment

Since the initial response was fairly comprehensive I will just add that you could look at the DoD. Not as well known, but some of the services have folks working this field. They receive special deputation from the FWS. Few posts ever come up, but it may be worth your time to look into it.
      Originally posted by SSD
      It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
      Originally posted by Iowa #1603
      And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Actually, FS is going for cutting another 15% from LE&I in FY15....not 1%. I agree with the above...

Comment

Well I got referred for a merit promotion certificate for this last announcement. HR said that there were over 150 applicants.

Anyone know how the cert lists go for them? HR mentioned alphabetical but I don't know how that would make sense unless there's no weight for your qualification rating.

Comment

Anyone else on here apply for the Land Management Law Enforcement Officer position in Pleasanton, KA that was recently listed?

Comment

I did. What are your stats? I'm current fed. LE and 5 pt. vet.

Comment

Originally posted by hangman View Post
                I did. What are your stats? I'm current fed. LE and 5 pt. vet.
                Minimal experience. No federal experience though.

Just got an email that they cancelled the announcement due to an administrative error and that the new announcement that is currently in place will take place of the old announcement.

Just applied to the new announcement and recieved an email stating that I have to take an online assessment for the position which i have completed.

Comment

Originally posted by CriminalJusticeStudent View Post
                  Minimal experience. No federal experience though.

Just got an email that they cancelled the announcement due to an administrative error and that the new announcement that is currently in place will take place of the old announcement.

Just applied to the new announcement and recieved an email stating that I have to take an online assessment for the position which i have completed.
                  LOL you do realize you probably just crushed any chance you had of getting on with this agency right? By announcing there was a current opening you just sent every vet and status candidate scrambling to apply. Word of advice in your current situation with no experience, vet points, or status I would keep quiet until the announcement closes.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyKiller View Post
                    LOL you do realize you probably just crushed any chance you had of getting on with this agency right? By announcing there was a current opening you just sent every vet and status candidate scrambling to apply. Word of advice in your current situation with no experience, vet points, or status I would keep quiet until the announcement closes.
                    There are plenty of people who keep tabs on USAJobs every day.

Comment

Originally posted by aspiring_fed View Post
                      There are plenty of people who keep tabs on USAJobs every day.
                      While that's true you certainly don't maximize your hiring chances by advertising on a site like this that there is an opening, especially when you have no status, vet points, or advanced degrees.

Comment

Master's degree, languages, about a year of Fed experience (non-LEO). Hope to get referred.. so far I got USSS, CBP, Capitol Police

Comment

Originally posted by LadyKiller View Post
                          While that's true you certainly don't maximize your hiring chances by advertising on a site like this that there is an opening, especially when you have no status, vet points, or advanced degrees.

I've said that on here a hundred times.....but no one seems to listen......perhaps someday someone will.... Until then, I will still just chuckle when I see people crying about not getting a gig they posted on here......

Comment

Originally posted by CriminalJusticeStudent View Post
                            Anyone else on here apply for the Land Management Law Enforcement Officer position in Pleasanton, KA that was recently listed?
                            I did....

Comment

Does anybody know if these guys are going up to 11 and 12 now since ERO is getting their bump in pay?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11072 users online. 454 members and 10618 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X