Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is being in the National Guard a mistake?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is being in the National Guard a mistake?

Does being in the National Guard dissuade agencies from hiring those particular applicants? Is it seen as a high probability of interference or something similar?
    Last edited by blsnared; 03-21-2014, 12:35 AM.
    Applied USSSUD: 24 MAR 2014
    Referred USSSUD: 15 APR 2014
    POST Exam: 24 APR 2014

Originally posted by blsnared View Post
    Does being in the National Guard dissuade agencies from hiring those particular applicants? Is it seen as a high probability of interference or something similar?
    Negative!!! I was in the Guard, I recommend trying to get an Intel MOS, with a Top Secret/CI. Once you are hired, however, you will have some conflicts with drill and your work schedule, but some units will work with you and some won't.

Comment

The SEARCH FUNCTION is your friend here.

This question has been asked and answered several times over.

The sum answer is IT DEPENDS. While the law says an employer may not discriminate against a person for being in or joining up-and as a cop you know not everyone follows the law.
      Originally posted by SSD
      It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
      Originally posted by Iowa #1603
      And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Thanks, sgt. jon.
        Last edited by blsnared; 03-21-2014, 01:11 AM.
        Applied USSSUD: 24 MAR 2014
        Referred USSSUD: 15 APR 2014
        POST Exam: 24 APR 2014

Comment

Blsnared, can you restate your question, so I can better understand it? It's a leading question, but it also confuses me a little. I imagine the short answer is it depends. I focus on career tracks within the Guard that you can you use as a civilian in your future endeavors. There you will get the most bang for your buck.
          The only easy day was yesterday. - BUDS Instructor

Comment

Absolutely not!

Comment

It depends. In the past guys have been deployed for over a year and had to put their careers on hold. Oh and this crap about the law having to do x, y, and z is a bunch of baloney. Employers have been getting by with hosing their employees who are in the guard or reserve for years. It also depends on the career path you take. If you have a career that rarely works weekends then it'll be a non issue. I think that it's a good thing to serve your country in any capacity, but to say it's never an issue for your employer or fellow employees if you're in the Guard or Reserve is a little naive.

Comment

I tried for many years to get a FLEO position and the veteran points are the reason I made the cert lists. I worked many years of Leo experience and education but the 5 pts are what got me my job.

Comment

My dept. is very supportive of memebers who are in the reserves/National Guard, however, from time to time a scheduling sgt. has to be knocked upside the head and reminded of the department's position
                  Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                  Albert Einstein

Comment

Being in the National Guard, a Reserve component, or even the Inactive Ready Reserves (IRR) are all indeed "a high probability of interference or something similar." That is indesputible. With actual deployments aside, as an 1811, being gone one weekend per month and two weeks per year will in fact interfer with most agencies' regular operations. At many agencies (certainly not all), you will be required to be frequently available, and your dedication and dependability to the team means a lot to the people you work with.

However, the real question is, which agencies are more or less supportive of their employees continuing their service in any of the three military components listed above?

The answer to that question lies within each agency's culture, each division's leadership's opinion, and each office's squad leader's ability to manage his or her personnel's external obligations.

I can tell you this: I have seen 1811s from different agencies successfully deploy for these sorts of obligations at FBI, ATF, USSS, and the USMS.

On the other hand, I also know many agents at USSS who were forced to discontinue their commitment to the NG and IRR due to their federal commitment to the USSS mission. The Government can and will discontinue one's service to the military - right or wrong - if one chooses to take it as a condition of civilian/1811 service. I have personally witnessed it happen time and time again.

I personally support the men and women of our military services and would gladly cover their duties while they train and deploy to defend our Nation. However, the fact of the matter is that there is often pushback from upper management in many agencies.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5892 users online. 391 members and 5501 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X