Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Probation Officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • US Probation Officer

    I am 25 years old with a BA in Criminal Justice and have been working the past two years as a seasonal LEO with the National Park Service. Prior to that I worked two years as an intern with another federal natural resource LE agency, and prior to that for about three years as a investigative employee for a state LE agency.

    I have been looking at US Probation Officer jobs and they are really intriguing. I have found between previous threads on here and job announcements that each district truly is different in what they require in their officer's.

    I hate to do a "crystal ball" type thread here but for those "in the know" how likely would I be to land one of these positions, I am willing to go anywhere. I know someone worked as an officer for about two years and he had no prior LE experience at all, then I see some others say that you must have extensive parole/probation experience for these positions. Just want to see what you all think. Thanks.

  • #2
    Originally posted by wildlife97 View Post
    I am 25 years old with a BA in Criminal Justice and have been working the past two years as a seasonal LEO with the National Park Service. Prior to that I worked two years as an intern with another federal natural resource LE agency, and prior to that for about three years as a investigative employee for a state LE agency.

    I have been looking at US Probation Officer jobs and they are really intriguing. I have found between previous threads on here and job announcements that each district truly is different in what they require in their officer's.

    I hate to do a "crystal ball" type thread here but for those "in the know" how likely would I be to land one of these positions, I am willing to go anywhere. I know someone worked as an officer for about two years and he had no prior LE experience at all, then I see some others say that you must have extensive parole/probation experience for these positions. Just want to see what you all think. Thanks.
    These are not easy jobs to obtain. They are looking for people with state or local probation or parole experience.
    Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

    Comment


    • #3
      Everyone I know that have the job now has either been in State Probation/Parole or State Correctoins
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

      My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

      Comment


      • #4
        To echo what has already been offered by way of insight- my experiences with PO’s on the federal side have usually come in with some experience in the field. This is not to say that someone with none can’t or won’t be picked up, but it seems to be more the case that they already have experience with offenders, pre-trial work and so on.

        By all means apply to open positions- being sure to articulate your knowledge, skills and abilities as they related to the particular announcement. You could also look to garner some additional foundation in treatment, assessments, management and so on- all of which should be available either through college courses, professional associations or conferences. These skills can certainly add value to what at first glance seems to be a qualifying background.
        Originally posted by SSD
        It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
        Originally posted by Iowa #1603
        And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

        Comment


        • #5
          My cousin is a Supervisor in the Detroit office. This is what she told me:

          They want experience, experience, and more experience - she couldn't even get me an interview for an assistant PO position because, without experience, I couldn't get past the pre-screen. You will undergo a thorough background check, including new checks every 5 years, and they want perfect credit. My understanding is that you have to attend FLETC now, so you have to be prepared for a law enforcement-type academy. If you get hired, you might see her - she has been flying down there to teach recently.
          Originally posted by RSGSRT
          We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
          Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm a current USPO. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

            Comment


            • #7
              i'm curious about the federal level PO as well mainly schedule (if there is any) im 26 with four years local LE and graduated in CJ with a 3.6. i'm getting on with the state P&P and looking at federal down the line. the state p&p is mon-fri with every weekend and holidays off. would federal be the same schedule or would each district be different?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by HoldtheRope76 View Post
                i'm curious about the federal level PO as well mainly schedule (if there is any) im 26 with four years local LE and graduated in CJ with a 3.6. i'm getting on with the state P&P and looking at federal down the line. the state p&p is mon-fri with every weekend and holidays off. would federal be the same schedule or would each district be different?
                I sent you a PM

                Comment


                • #9
                  The local office here is always advertising for an intern, in fact they are right now. May be a foot in the door.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Current USPO here. Most districts also look for people with advanced degrees. Hard to get in but awesome job once you're there.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Firstlast View Post
                      The local office here is always advertising for an intern, in fact they are right now. May be a foot in the door.
                      That's exactly how my cousin got hired - interned during college then worked in district court probation after college for a few years.
                      Originally posted by RSGSRT
                      We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                      Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        What kind of experience is needed for the pre trial services assistant?
                        Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Some people get hired for US Probation/Pretrial Services Assistant with no pior corrections/probation experience, but most have some type of experience in the field. It's a good job because your almost guarenteed to get promoted within a year or two. I'd even say it's a promotion from most county/state PO jobs because of the pay raise schedule and resources available at the Federal level.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            So it would be a good way to gain experience if you are lacking in that area for the future position of USPO?

                            I recently applied to an opening in Tucson. I'm sure it is a huge change from border patrol, but I would love to do it, especially since everyone who sits it seems to love their job.
                            Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Current USPO. You can PM me specific questions as well.
                              www.ShankAZombie.com

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 6128 users online. 220 members and 5908 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X