Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA12, how much mobility are you talking about?

Comment

• Originally posted by AC2011 View Post
      GA12, how much mobility are you talking about?
      Once a position opens in the district you'd like to relocate to you have to apply like everyone else but it's referred to as "transferring" and it happens quite often. You would certainly get preference if you have been doing the job and have been to FLETC. It's also an incentive that you would know what you're doing from the first day. The system is uniform so the way they do things in ND/TX is the same as SD/NY and so on. Little things may be different like specific protocols but you would likely be able to hit the ground running

Money-wise it makes sense to transfer during your first 5 years because once you start making $70k+ districts won't want to hire you as an entry level officer because it isn't cost efficient. They also don't have to pay you what you are making in your current district. My $.02...

Comment

• Do you have to wait until after FLETC before they issue you a gun and badge?

Comment

• Badge no... Gun yes at least in my district. After fletc, you have to request in writing to carry a gun and the chief judge signs off.

Comment

• DSB05C, what district do you work out of in FL?

Comment

• I work in the middle district.

Comment

• dsb05c....have you guys interviewed for any transfers or new hires? I see that your district has had the vacancy announcement up for a while. I was looking into possibly applying. I went to FLETC with a officer in your office.

Comment

• Yes we are. We just had a wave of retirements last year that they sorta will backfill. This year some regular retirements that will get backfilled immediately. About to be 4 senior officer positions. If those are filled locally, they will get backfilled. Also hearing we were suppose to bring on a PSR transfer who backed out. So there is an immediate need for a PSR person in Tampa.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdg0044 View Post
                    Do you have to wait until after FLETC before they issue you a gun and badge?
                    Easy bud, if you want a gun so bad apply to be a police officer. We aren't cops and our use of force policy is purely defensive.

Comment

• DSB05C, did you just transfer from CT?

Comment

• Nope started here as a POA in 2008.

Comment

• Originally posted by dsb05c View Post
                          Badge no... Gun yes at least in my district. After fletc, you have to request in writing to carry a gun and the chief judge signs off.
                          I'll add as a caveat from my district... We are allowed to be issued a firearm prior to FLETC basic training. We go through the same training and qualification course with our in-house instructors over the course of a week. They seem to prefer not to do this with officers that have little or no firearms experience, but with officers who have been previously firearm-certified/qualified in other jobs, they are more comfortable.

Comment

• It was just a question. I already carry a gun in my current position. Just trying to understand how the process works as I will be starting in a couple weeks.

Comment

• Originally posted by holycrikey View Post
                              I'll add as a caveat from my district... We are allowed to be issued a firearm prior to FLETC basic training. We go through the same training and qualification course with our in-house instructors over the course of a week. They seem to prefer not to do this with officers that have little or no firearms experience, but with officers who have been previously firearm-certified/qualified in other jobs, they are more comfortable.
                              Yeah I know some districts do let theirs carry. We had one or two in my initial class that had previously carried prior to FLETC.

Comment

• Originally posted by holycrikey View Post

Same here..

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7429 users online. 206 members and 7223 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X