Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nola504
    commented on 's reply
    You will be asking for a transfer out that district within two years....

• Jwebb514
    replied
    I just applied to a vacancy in the Southern District of Ohio. Anyone have any info on this district?

Leave a comment:

• brownj21
    commented on 's reply
    I agree with teamhoyt

• teamhoyt
    commented on 's reply
    Per the usual, it depends on the district. Government positions that may have been considered lucrative in previous times become more attainable in a strong economy like what we've had in recent years. In some districts, government jobs aren't/weren't lucrative at all -- cost of living, competitive local and state salaries/benefits, etc...

I recently met a 24-year-old USPO who completed a USPO internship during her graduate program and then spent one year as a social worker before being hired. On a national level, I have observed that a positive internship with Fed Probation translates to a very employable applicant.

• Deadpker
    replied
    How many years of prior experience are generally required to be competitive for a Federal PO job? I interned one year for Federal Probation and I am currently doing an 8 month Assistant PO Program through a local county (this is not a permanent job, it's only for 8 months).

Leave a comment:

• holycrikey
    commented on 's reply
    I'll add one more comment. I too had to take a pay cut when starting with the feds and it was rough for the first 12 months. No lie. 5 years later though, I'm easily ahead about 25k from what I could have been making with the state job. The state had no pay increase unless you were promoted to management. The feds give a default 2 steps every 6 months while you're in developmental. Quality of life is on a totally different level too. I'd never go back to my old job even if they could offer the pay of the state. The fed system is where it's at. At least for my area.

• Balco42
    replied
    I appreciate the solid advice! That’s exactly what I was looking for. As far as being able to take a cut up front, it is feasible but it’s still hard think about parting with $10k! At the end of the day, it’s a position that I’m truly interested in.

Leave a comment:

• teamhoyt
    commented on 's reply
    Well, congrats on earning an offer! Unless you have a security clearance, you'll be provisional until that's squared away. Mine took just shy of two years with how behind OPM was at the time.

The lower grade thing - you can roll the dice and advise administration that you can't afford to take the cut and see what happens or suck it up for a while. I took a cut in a district that starts new hires in 25. I made the difference up fairly quickly by achieving expectations in the position. Developmental reviews are done every six months. If it's something you're really interested in doing, make the jump. I made it through a time of less pay without accruing any extra debt while moving right through 25, 27 and into 28. Haven't looked back!

• TedMosby
    commented on 's reply
    can you financially be okay with 10k less a year or do you really need that 10k to keep your life going? If you can or can't do without then that is you answer!

• Balco42
    replied
    I was offered a position as a U.S. Probation Officer with my local district today. I’ve been applying to these jobs for quite some time so I’m very excited at the opportunity. With that being said, I’m conflicted because I was offered a lower grade while in a provisional status which is about $10,000 less than my current salary at the county level.

I have decided to carefully consider my decision before accepting the offer. Does anyone have advice to offer that might be helpful in making this decision?

Leave a comment:

• Raqui
    replied
    Hey there,

i just received a call for an interview with the Northern District of California. Can anyone give me insight into the interview process and the culture of the district? Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• ecg14
    replied
    brownj21 I tried to pm you but it said your box is full. Any chance you can give me some insight on the Atlanta office? Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• holycrikey
    commented on 's reply
    Holy ****... I can't help you with SD/CA, but your username man... I thought I was a huge probation nerd but you just bested me going straight to 18 USC 3583 for your name.

Was 18 USC 3603 already taken? Dang, maybe I better snag that one....

• 18usc3583
    replied
    Could anyone here answer some questions about the Southern District of California? Your help is appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• brownj21
    replied
    Originally posted by NCG128 View Post
    Is anyone aware of districts that hire people without Probation experience?
    There are some that do, but I couldn't name them, as I dont remember.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 14631 users online. 463 members and 14168 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X