X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• holycrikey
    replied
    Originally posted by JV09 View Post
    Thanks, that's what I figured. I actually got a call to schedule an interview. Does anyone have any advice on how to best prepare for the interview?
    Since I just recently finished up the interview and am starting in about two weeks, I'm going to send you a PM with what my interview process was. Listen to what others have said as well. By what I've learned, each district does their hiring and interviewing a bit differently. Expect just about anything.

Edit: Looks like I can't send you a PM. Toss me an email address to use.
    Last edited by holycrikey; 02-06-2014, 03:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DaBulls
    replied
    satxparoleofcr, I sent you a PM

Leave a comment:

• satxparoleofcr
    replied
    JV09, feel free to shoot me a PM

Leave a comment:

• satxparoleofcr
    replied
    I feel under an unusual set of circumstances a few years back, being offered the job followed by a notice that the AO was enacting a hiring freeze. I was placed on hold for quite some time but eventually made it on board. Without the hiring freeze, my process would have taken about 4-5 months.

Leave a comment:

• brownj21
    replied
    Originally posted by satxparoleofcr View Post
    No news is good news, my friend. My process took about a year and a half and the wait was killing me. The job is highly competitive and I can also agree with GA12 on the typical experience and education level of the average USPO. Good luck.
    Wow, a year and a half for a USPO position? Thats pretty far out of the norm for my district.
    I think from the job opening announcement until my first day on the job was like 3 or 4 months.

Leave a comment:

• JV09
    replied
    Thanks, that's what I figured. I actually got a call to schedule an interview. Does anyone have any advice on how to best prepare for the interview?

Leave a comment:

• satxparoleofcr
    replied
    No news is good news, my friend. My process took about a year and a half and the wait was killing me. The job is highly competitive and I can also agree with GA12 on the typical experience and education level of the average USPO. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• JV09
    replied
    Thanks for the response. Sounds like I was lucky enough to even make it to the written portion of the hiring process. I still haven't received the "Thanks, but no thanks" letter, so perhaps I'm still under consideration.

Leave a comment:

• GA12
    replied
    Originally posted by holycrikey View Post
    Figured I'd post in here. I recently accepted a USPO position, will start here in a few weeks. Anyone having questions can feel free to PM me anything related to applications/interviewing/etc. Obviously I don't know much of anything regarding the actual job duties yet.

I come from state probation, btw.
    Congrats. Charlotte?

Originally posted by JV09 View Post
    Did anyone apply to the Central District of California USPO position that was recently active? I took the written about 2 weeks ago, but haven't heard anything since then. Kind of concerned since it appears the process moves along fairly quickly.

I have about 4 years of county level probation experience, a graduate degree, and prior military. Not sure if VA preference is even given, but at this point I'm thinking anything helps since these positions seem to be very competitive. Just wondering if anyone else has any insight regarding the hiring process at this district.
    Having 4-8 years experience and a MS is the average USPO's credentials in my district. I don't think being a veteran matters either way. It can't hurt but in my whole district of 40 PO's there might be two veterans.

Leave a comment:

• JV09
    replied
    Did anyone apply to the Central District of California USPO position that was recently active? I took the written about 2 weeks ago, but haven't heard anything since then. Kind of concerned since it appears the process moves along fairly quickly.

I have about 4 years of county level probation experience, a graduate degree, and prior military. Not sure if VA preference is even given, but at this point I'm thinking anything helps since these positions seem to be very competitive. Just wondering if anyone else has any insight regarding the hiring process at this district.

Leave a comment:

• holycrikey
    replied
    Figured I'd post in here. I recently accepted a USPO position, will start here in a few weeks. Anyone having questions can feel free to PM me anything related to applications/interviewing/etc. Obviously I don't know much of anything regarding the actual job duties yet.

I come from state probation, btw.

Leave a comment:

• brownj21
    replied
    Originally posted by GA12 View Post
    USPO's do field work but you won't be busting down doors or chasing anyone. The use of force policy is purely defensive when safe retreat is not an option. We carry weapons but most of our work is done in front of a computer. Good job but if you are more aligned with purely LE work I'd pursue a uniform position as you might get bored with US Probation.
    Originally posted by Nola504 View Post
    I'm also a current USPO and can second what brownj21 and GA12 are saying. They are spot on. Really understand that this is NOT your typical law enforcement career where you are very active in the streets. Probation across the board from the county, state, and local level, including federal have shifted toward a different mentality in handling offenders. The focus is more on rehabilitation and locking up offenders anymore. Overall, you are looked at as more of a social worker/counselor with a badge and gun with no real authority.
    Agreed 100%.

Leave a comment:

• Nola504
    replied
    I'm also a current USPO and can second what brownj21 and GA12 are saying. They are spot on. Really understand that this is NOT your typical law enforcement career where you are very active in the streets. Probation across the board from the county, state, and local level, including federal have shifted toward a different mentality in handling offenders. The focus is more on rehabilitation and locking up offenders anymore. Overall, you are looked at as more of a social worker/counselor with a badge and gun with no real authority.

Leave a comment:

• GA12
    replied
    Originally posted by TopGun87 View Post
    @satxparoleofcr - Do US Probation Officers have the authority to carry weapons or make arrests. Do they serve on fugitive task force like some state PO's or is it primarily court-based with not that much action?

Thanks,
    USPO's do field work but you won't be busting down doors or chasing anyone. The use of force policy is purely defensive when safe retreat is not an option. We carry weapons but most of our work is done in front of a computer. Good job but if you are more aligned with purely LE work I'd pursue a uniform position as you might get bored with US Probation.

Leave a comment:

• brownj21
    replied
    Originally posted by PaPPO View Post
    I think it varies depending on what district. It's my understanding that some are more pro law enforcement, while others are more paper pushers? I could be completely off but just what I've heard from talking with a few officers.
    This is pretty accurate. Everything varies by district.

Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
    I was under the impression that the US Marshals do the majority of the enforcement work for US Probation, but that Probation/Pre-trial Services Officers are considered federal LEOs

I have read that they receive some regular law enforcement training and attend FLETC. Do they have to qualify with firearms, and have badges/credentials? Are they issued weapons, or was it like the BOP, where you were only given a weapon from the armory if they saw fit, and in your personal time you carry your own private weapon?
    In many districts the US Marshals serve the warrants issued by USPOs. And yes, USPOs are considered federal law enforcement.
    Yes, all officers attend FLETC (Charleston, not Glynco) and qualify with firearms and are issued badges, credentials.
    Last edited by brownj21; 01-31-2014, 02:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7825 users online. 203 members and 7622 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X