X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• holycrikey
    replied
    Originally posted by 85rx-7gsl-se View Post
    I was advised to go get a state or local probation job and reapply in a few years. So yes, experience does seem to be king.
    I was told that after they selected me, they passed over others that had JD's (I only have an MS). I will agree that it seems most districts want prior direct experience with some type of offender population. That being said, we have officers with backgrounds in local/state juvenile probation, adult probation/parole, and even officers that only had backgrounds in workforce development/substance abuse/mental health. I'd say any of the above are backgrounds they're looking for. Years and years of service doesn't seem to matter as much as just having an advanced degree and a few years directly related experience.

Leave a comment:

• 85rx-7gsl-se
    replied
    My personal experience. I interviewed with the North District of Texas in Dallas. My first round was by video from Memphis. My second was in person in Dallas. I have a J.D. and had about one year of experience conducting state-level administrative hearings. Despite reportedly being impressed by my academic background, I was not offered the position due to lack of experience with felons. I was advised to go get a state or local probation job and reapply in a few years. So yes, experience does seem to be king.
    Last edited by 85rx-7gsl-se; 03-09-2014, 03:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MM2010
    replied
    Originally posted by TopGun87 View Post
    Does anyone have any information on Investigator positions with The Federal Public Defender’s Office? Are they sworn or just investigative in nature?

Duties include identifying, locating, & interviewing witnesses; gathering, analyzing, & summarizing case-related reports & records; serving subpoenas; photographing & sketching crime scenes; writing comprehensive reports; assisting with trial & evidentiary hearing preparation; testifying in court; & other duties as needed.
    You would be a private investigator for a defense attorney. Definitely not a sworn law enforcement job.

Leave a comment:

• TopGun87
    replied
    Does anyone have any information on Investigator positions with The Federal Public Defender’s Office? Are they sworn or just investigative in nature?

Duties include identifying, locating, & interviewing witnesses; gathering, analyzing, & summarizing case-related reports & records; serving subpoenas; photographing & sketching crime scenes; writing comprehensive reports; assisting with trial & evidentiary hearing preparation; testifying in court; & other duties as needed.

Leave a comment:

• holycrikey
    replied
    Originally posted by JV09 View Post
    Thanks, that's what I figured. I actually got a call to schedule an interview. Does anyone have any advice on how to best prepare for the interview?
    Since I just recently finished up the interview and am starting in about two weeks, I'm going to send you a PM with what my interview process was. Listen to what others have said as well. By what I've learned, each district does their hiring and interviewing a bit differently. Expect just about anything.

Edit: Looks like I can't send you a PM. Toss me an email address to use.
    Last edited by holycrikey; 02-06-2014, 03:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DaBulls
    replied
    satxparoleofcr, I sent you a PM

Leave a comment:

• satxparoleofcr
    replied
    JV09, feel free to shoot me a PM

Leave a comment:

• satxparoleofcr
    replied
    I feel under an unusual set of circumstances a few years back, being offered the job followed by a notice that the AO was enacting a hiring freeze. I was placed on hold for quite some time but eventually made it on board. Without the hiring freeze, my process would have taken about 4-5 months.

Leave a comment:

• brownj21
    replied
    Originally posted by satxparoleofcr View Post
    No news is good news, my friend. My process took about a year and a half and the wait was killing me. The job is highly competitive and I can also agree with GA12 on the typical experience and education level of the average USPO. Good luck.
    Wow, a year and a half for a USPO position? Thats pretty far out of the norm for my district.
    I think from the job opening announcement until my first day on the job was like 3 or 4 months.

Leave a comment:

• JV09
    replied
    Thanks, that's what I figured. I actually got a call to schedule an interview. Does anyone have any advice on how to best prepare for the interview?

Leave a comment:

• satxparoleofcr
    replied
    No news is good news, my friend. My process took about a year and a half and the wait was killing me. The job is highly competitive and I can also agree with GA12 on the typical experience and education level of the average USPO. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• JV09
    replied
    Thanks for the response. Sounds like I was lucky enough to even make it to the written portion of the hiring process. I still haven't received the "Thanks, but no thanks" letter, so perhaps I'm still under consideration.

Leave a comment:

• GA12
    replied
    Originally posted by holycrikey View Post
    Figured I'd post in here. I recently accepted a USPO position, will start here in a few weeks. Anyone having questions can feel free to PM me anything related to applications/interviewing/etc. Obviously I don't know much of anything regarding the actual job duties yet.

I come from state probation, btw.
    Congrats. Charlotte?

Originally posted by JV09 View Post
    Did anyone apply to the Central District of California USPO position that was recently active? I took the written about 2 weeks ago, but haven't heard anything since then. Kind of concerned since it appears the process moves along fairly quickly.

I have about 4 years of county level probation experience, a graduate degree, and prior military. Not sure if VA preference is even given, but at this point I'm thinking anything helps since these positions seem to be very competitive. Just wondering if anyone else has any insight regarding the hiring process at this district.
    Having 4-8 years experience and a MS is the average USPO's credentials in my district. I don't think being a veteran matters either way. It can't hurt but in my whole district of 40 PO's there might be two veterans.

Leave a comment:

• JV09
    replied
    Did anyone apply to the Central District of California USPO position that was recently active? I took the written about 2 weeks ago, but haven't heard anything since then. Kind of concerned since it appears the process moves along fairly quickly.

I have about 4 years of county level probation experience, a graduate degree, and prior military. Not sure if VA preference is even given, but at this point I'm thinking anything helps since these positions seem to be very competitive. Just wondering if anyone else has any insight regarding the hiring process at this district.

Leave a comment:

• holycrikey
    replied
    Figured I'd post in here. I recently accepted a USPO position, will start here in a few weeks. Anyone having questions can feel free to PM me anything related to applications/interviewing/etc. Obviously I don't know much of anything regarding the actual job duties yet.

I come from state probation, btw.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8914 users online. 419 members and 8495 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X