X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nola504
    replied
    Originally posted by dsb05c View Post
    Current USPO in Florida here. As others have stated, USPO does a lot of field work but not arrests (unless you're a presentence writer then its 90% office and Court). In emergencies, we walk through warrants and have local le or US Marshals serve warrant. We are authorized to carry weapons and handcuffs. We only carry handcuffs on searches currently but may be changing that policy soon. Handcuffs were just recently added to the national use of force policy. Those looking for action may want to look elsewhere. It's a weird time though, EBP (Evidence Based Practices-know that term and applications for Middle Florida) is the main focus with offenders working on cognitive rehabilitation. However, recent sex offenders making the news have brought on more searches. IRS fraud in Tampa has also caught the attention of the judges. Feel free to pm for specific questions. FLETC is 6 weeks and a pretty good time if you have a good class. Just don't enjoy the No Wake Zone bar too much.
    Exactly. It's the same in my district. AHHHH FLETC was a great time! I didn't spend much time at the No Wake Zone. I went of base....a lot haha.

Leave a comment:

• dsb05c
    replied
    Current USPO in Florida here. As others have stated, USPO does a lot of field work but not arrests (unless you're a presentence writer then its 90% office and Court). In emergencies, we walk through warrants and have local le or US Marshals serve warrant. We are authorized to carry weapons and handcuffs. We only carry handcuffs on searches currently but may be changing that policy soon. Handcuffs were just recently added to the national use of force policy. Those looking for action may want to look elsewhere. It's a weird time though, EBP (Evidence Based Practices-know that term and applications for Middle Florida) is the main focus with offenders working on cognitive rehabilitation. However, recent sex offenders making the news have brought on more searches. IRS fraud in Tampa has also caught the attention of the judges. Feel free to pm for specific questions. FLETC is 6 weeks and a pretty good time if you have a good class. Just don't enjoy the No Wake Zone bar too much.

Leave a comment:

• satxparoleofcr
    replied
    Originally posted by holycrikey View Post
    A very small minority of districts push the law enforcement side of things (Nevada and I believe Arizona are very law enforcement driven). Few USPO's conduct arrests and do searches/seizures. So although USPO's have fairly broad arrest power by law, local policies of the judges/chief USPOS's generally extremely limit this and because of this, can change down the line depending upon any change of philosophy of the judges/chief USPO's.
    Agreed. Being a USPO definitely isn't as hardcore as our counterparts in some state and county probation/parole gigs. It will be interesting to see how the system evolves years down the road. From what I know, Missouri Eastern is also a LE driven district.

Leave a comment:

• holycrikey
    replied
    I might as well note here for any potential applicants... there is some confusion as to what real law enforcement duties we have. A very small minority of districts push the law enforcement side of things (Nevada and I believe Arizona are very law enforcement driven). Few USPO's conduct arrests and do searches/seizures. So although USPO's have fairly broad arrest power by law, local policies of the judges/chief USPOS's generally extremely limit this and because of this, can change down the line depending upon any change of philosophy of the judges/chief USPO's. US Marshals pretty much do all the legwork in regards to arrests... at least at this point in time. I can't think of a district that has Marshals that are all too thrilled about dealing with probation warrants. But it is what it is...

Leave a comment:

• 85rx-7gsl-se
    replied
    Originally posted by Nola504 View Post
    Sorry to hear that you did not get offered the position. They gave you the best advice though. I am currently a USPO and I spent four and a half years with county juvenile probation. During that time, I wanted to get involved and learn as many functions as possible that would help me land with the feds. Unlike a lot of USPO's I do not have a masters degree, just a B.S. in Criminal Justice. I worked in supervision, diversion programs, presentence reports, and a specialized caseload in the sex offender unit. I also served on several work committees. Getting that type of experience, in my opinion, is more valuable than a masters. California is a great place to look for work on county/state probation that will help you get in. I also believe Texas is a great place for county/state probation as well. Any other questions you have feel free to ask.
    It is all good. I understand why they made their choice regardless of whether I personally agreed with it. I lived in TN at the time and TN pays state-level PO's so poorly that I couldn't afford to take one of those jobs (given that I have student loans to pay and was getting married). I am happily working as an attorney now so its all good.

Leave a comment:

• SnakeDoctor
    replied
    ^Thank you

Leave a comment:

• GA12
    replied
    Originally posted by SnakeDoctor View Post
    Are USPO's covered under 6c retirement?
    Yes

Leave a comment:

• Nola504
    replied
    Originally posted by 85rx-7gsl-se View Post
    My personal experience. I interviewed with the North District of Texas in Dallas. My first round was by video from Memphis. My second was in person in Dallas. I have a J.D. and had about one year of experience conducting state-level administrative hearings. Despite reportedly being impressed by my academic background, I was not offered the position due to lack of experience with felons. I was advised to go get a state or local probation job and reapply in a few years. So yes, experience does seem to be king.
    Sorry to hear that you did not get offered the position. They gave you the best advice though. I am currently a USPO and I spent four and a half years with county juvenile probation. During that time, I wanted to get involved and learn as many functions as possible that would help me land with the feds. Unlike a lot of USPO's I do not have a masters degree, just a B.S. in Criminal Justice. I worked in supervision, diversion programs, presentence reports, and a specialized caseload in the sex offender unit. I also served on several work committees. Getting that type of experience, in my opinion, is more valuable than a masters. California is a great place to look for work on county/state probation that will help you get in. I also believe Texas is a great place for county/state probation as well. Any other questions you have feel free to ask.

Leave a comment:

• SnakeDoctor
    replied
    Are USPO's covered under 6c retirement?

Leave a comment:

• 85rx-7gsl-se
    replied
    ^That sounds about right. I completely understand the need for that background for the supervisory side of things. It seems like pretrial services (what I applied for) may be a little easier to learn on-the-job regarding the detainee interaction, but it was not my choice to make

Leave a comment:

• holycrikey
    replied
    Originally posted by 85rx-7gsl-se View Post
    I was advised to go get a state or local probation job and reapply in a few years. So yes, experience does seem to be king.
    I was told that after they selected me, they passed over others that had JD's (I only have an MS). I will agree that it seems most districts want prior direct experience with some type of offender population. That being said, we have officers with backgrounds in local/state juvenile probation, adult probation/parole, and even officers that only had backgrounds in workforce development/substance abuse/mental health. I'd say any of the above are backgrounds they're looking for. Years and years of service doesn't seem to matter as much as just having an advanced degree and a few years directly related experience.

Leave a comment:

• 85rx-7gsl-se
    replied
    My personal experience. I interviewed with the North District of Texas in Dallas. My first round was by video from Memphis. My second was in person in Dallas. I have a J.D. and had about one year of experience conducting state-level administrative hearings. Despite reportedly being impressed by my academic background, I was not offered the position due to lack of experience with felons. I was advised to go get a state or local probation job and reapply in a few years. So yes, experience does seem to be king.
    Last edited by 85rx-7gsl-se; 03-09-2014, 03:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MM2010
    replied
    Originally posted by TopGun87 View Post
    Does anyone have any information on Investigator positions with The Federal Public Defender’s Office? Are they sworn or just investigative in nature?

Duties include identifying, locating, & interviewing witnesses; gathering, analyzing, & summarizing case-related reports & records; serving subpoenas; photographing & sketching crime scenes; writing comprehensive reports; assisting with trial & evidentiary hearing preparation; testifying in court; & other duties as needed.
    You would be a private investigator for a defense attorney. Definitely not a sworn law enforcement job.

Leave a comment:

• TopGun87
    replied
    Does anyone have any information on Investigator positions with The Federal Public Defender’s Office? Are they sworn or just investigative in nature?

Duties include identifying, locating, & interviewing witnesses; gathering, analyzing, & summarizing case-related reports & records; serving subpoenas; photographing & sketching crime scenes; writing comprehensive reports; assisting with trial & evidentiary hearing preparation; testifying in court; & other duties as needed.

Leave a comment:

• holycrikey
    replied
    Originally posted by JV09 View Post
    Thanks, that's what I figured. I actually got a call to schedule an interview. Does anyone have any advice on how to best prepare for the interview?
    Since I just recently finished up the interview and am starting in about two weeks, I'm going to send you a PM with what my interview process was. Listen to what others have said as well. By what I've learned, each district does their hiring and interviewing a bit differently. Expect just about anything.

Edit: Looks like I can't send you a PM. Toss me an email address to use.
    Last edited by holycrikey; 02-06-2014, 03:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9932 users online. 344 members and 9588 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X