Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dsb05c
    replied
    Both in my district. If your office is in a courthouse, you were a shirt and tie. My office isn't. Our new chief changed it so we can were polos now.

Leave a comment:

• jdg0044
    replied
    To the current USPO's, what is the dress code in your district? Do you wear a dress shirt and tie or can you wear a polo shirt?

Leave a comment:

• holycrikey
    replied
    Originally posted by TPD85 View Post
    I had a quick question about pay....

Trying to determine what starting salary would be, or what I could potentially make once off probation. Deciding whether is worth leaving my local LEO job, and if pay will be somewhat the same.
    The good: Raises every six months. Large 12-14% increases at each year mark up to year #3. It levels off after that, but you still get your six month increases. I've talked with other local/state/county PO's around the nation, and I have yet to find a department that pays better than the feds. You may end up starting at a lower pay than what you have at your current probation department, but you rise above that very quickly with the feds. I certainly know that is my case. Take what I said with a grain of salt though.

The bad: Discretionary step increases are gone and have been for awhile now. No idea if they'll ever return. If they ever return, USPO's can make some very nice money if you have good management and are doing the job at or above your requirements on evaluation. Hopefully we get these back. No LEAP pay with US Probation. Overtime is very rare. Because of this, you may not earn as much as a traditional LEO at the state/county level. Depends...

Check out the pay tables for your area of the US.

http://www.uscourts.gov/Careers/Comp...ntOfficer.aspx

Most people fall under the "Rest of United States". Don't look at the base pay.

That being said, I know many (most?) districts can only hire new employees at CL25, regardless of education or other experience (unless you're a former USPO). Some districts have a little more cash or play more games with their budgets and therefore can afford to hire above 25... but by what I've seen, that is pretty rare. Most districts are more conservative with their budget now and CL25 is the standard. You'll be at CL27 in a year after hire anyway, so it doesn't impact you in the longer term too terribly.

Hope that info helps a little. Remember that a lot depends on if your city/office has a bigger locality pay increase.

As a broad example: Start at CL25, you are considered "Rest of United States".. by start of your third year in, you'll be CL28 making right around 58k. This assumes we don't get discretionary steps back. If we do, it could be much higher than that.
    Last edited by holycrikey; 06-02-2014, 11:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• TPD85
    replied
    I had a quick question about pay....

Trying to determine what starting salary would be, or what I could potentially make once off probation. Deciding whether is worth leaving my local LEO job, and if pay will be somewhat the same.

Leave a comment:

• AKtransplant
    replied
    What state/city did you apply for? Congrats.

Leave a comment:

• jdg0044
    replied
    Thanks guys. I have 7 years of state probation and 3/4 of my masters completed.

Leave a comment:

• DaBulls
    replied
    Originally posted by jdg0044 View Post
    I've been offered a job as a USPO and am both excited and nervous about the opportunity. It seems like the current USPO's in this thread are satisfied with the job, which is encouraging.
    Congrats!!! What is your background and where will you be working?

Leave a comment:

• Odaat1
    replied
    Congrats! Jdg0044. Very exciting news.

Leave a comment:

• Odaat1
    replied
    Originally posted by jdg0044 View Post
    I've been offered a job as a USPO and am both excited and nervous about the opportunity. It seems like the current USPO's in this thread are satisfied with the job, which is encouraging.

Leave a comment:

• jdg0044
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Odaat1
    replied
    Did anyone apply to the recent USPO openings in the east coast?

Leave a comment:

• AKtransplant
    replied
    I applied to the flagstaff location for USPO, does anybody have any information on caseload, morale etc of that AO? Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• DaBulls
    replied
    I too shot you a PM. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• dsb05c
    replied
    Done. Sorry about that.

Leave a comment:

• NJturnedDC
    replied
    Hey dsb05c can you turn on your pm, I want to shoot you a message

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7923 users online. 291 members and 7632 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X