300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Deadpker View Post
    District of Massachusetts reached out to me yesterday about transcripts, pretty surprised considering the shut down and everything.

I applied to District of Mass about a year ago and was invited to the orientation in Boston. I kid you not when I say this but there was probably 250 people there. They explained that they were hiring for like 8 positions throughout the state. My best advice for these positions is apply to as many as you can throughout the country if you are willing to move. Not sure how far along in the process you are but I just wanted to make you aware.

Comment

• Deadpker
      Deadpker commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm right before the orientation process =/. I always apply for every announcement, but it's just the matter of paying for travel. Thank you for letting me know, that could be a factor in deciding if I'll fly out. After the orientation is a writing test and then an interview if you pass the writing portion.

Can you shed any light on this part? Is it all in the same week, or will I have to fly out again if I pass the writing section?

• Does anyone know of any city or district throughout the country in which you dont have to be in the actual city to take the tests? In other words are there any districts that accept out of state applications and you dont have to fly out to that state to test

Comment

• Originally posted by Chambers26 View Post
      Does anyone know of any city or district throughout the country in which you dont have to be in the actual city to take the tests? In other words are there any districts that accept out of state applications and you dont have to fly out to that state to test
      There are some. My district will occasionally grant Skype interviews or send the applicant to his/her local district US Probation Office to do a teleconference. That requires the assistance of the local district too. Sometimes they don't want to facilitate that.

I can only speak for us, but we have never hired someone we interviewed remotely unless it was a current USPO looking for a transfer. We have interviewed good long-distance candidates, but to be honest, it can be easier to find the same level candidate, but local and with knowledge of the area. There are more assurances there if we are speaking frankly.

Attempting to hire from well outside the target district is hard. Some districts who have higher turn-over may be more inclined to give a shot to longer distance applicants.

Comment

• Originally posted by holycrikey View Post

There are some. My district will occasionally grant Skype interviews or send the applicant to his/her local district US Probation Office to do a teleconference. That requires the assistance of the local district too. Sometimes they don't want to facilitate that.

I can only speak for us, but we have never hired someone we interviewed remotely unless it was a current USPO looking for a transfer. We have interviewed good long-distance candidates, but to be honest, it can be easier to find the same level candidate, but local and with knowledge of the area. There are more assurances there if we are speaking frankly.

Attempting to hire from well outside the target district is hard. Some districts who have higher turn-over may be more inclined to give a shot to longer distance applicants.
        Our district would NEVER do Skype/teleconference interviews, but I have heard of several that do (at least for the initial one).
        But our district does hire a LOT of out of state candidates. I guess if you drive or fly hundreds of miles to interview, it shows that you are serious.
        With all that said, the last line written by holycrikey definitely applies to our district.
        Last edited by brownj21; 01-17-2019, 08:56 AM.
        www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

• Any good info on the Los Angeles District? Any pro's and con's to this District? I am originally from LA...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chambers26 View Post
            Does anyone know of any city or district throughout the country in which you dont have to be in the actual city to take the tests? In other words are there any districts that accept out of state applications and you dont have to fly out to that state to test
            I interviewed as a transfer to Middle District of Florida but I did not accept the offer because I did not want to work in the Orlando office. Did the interview on "Skype" from my old district interview room.

Comment

• Originally posted by VidaG View Post
              Anyone got any insight on NDIL or NDIN (northern district of Illinois - Chicago) or (northern district of Indiana - Hammond).

Chicago has that new office built. New Chief from Kentucky, Holmes... Any insight on how they roll and the atmosphere there or across the street at pretrial would be appreciated on the culture of the office, leadership, type of new hires they usually have recruited recently, social work/LE orientation, carry in office/field, FLETC training spots, dedicated car or shared gov car, how is fieldwork conducted, telework, upward mobility, training opportunities within district and out of district, the judges, etc?
              Good lord, have you not asked about every single district and how they "roll" on every probation thread on here? C'mon now. It's been over a year and I keep seeing the same post, different district. Its annoying

Comment

• Originally posted by VidaG View Post
                Anyone got any insight on NDIL or NDIN (northern district of Illinois - Chicago) or (northern district of Indiana - Hammond).

Chicago has that new office built. New Chief from Kentucky, Holmes... Any insight on how they roll and the atmosphere there or across the street at pretrial would be appreciated on the culture of the office, leadership, type of new hires they usually have recruited recently, social work/LE orientation, carry in office/field, FLETC training spots, dedicated car or shared gov car, how is fieldwork conducted, telework, upward mobility, training opportunities within district and out of district, the judges, etc?
                Okay - I've been a PO in 3 districts and counting (across 10 years), and I know about a lot of other districts. Although your questions sound like legitimate questions, don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds to me like Probation is not the job for you. You're looking for more of a traditional 1811 gig.

Probation (supervision) is HEAVY social work in MOST districts. The districts that are more progressive on the LE side STILL are heavy on social work (Vegas, Southern New York, Western PA, Western NC) with the day to day operations.

If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Comment

• Hello all, I was given an offer from Northern District of California. Does anyone have advice on countering? Is there a science to establishing the class? I've been a juvenile PO for cook county and hold an MA. Thank you for your insight in advance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Raqui View Post
                    Hello all, I was given an offer from Northern District of California. Does anyone have advice on countering? Is there a science to establishing the class? I've been a juvenile PO for cook county and hold an MA. Thank you for your insight in advance.
                    Some districts allow for countering, while others do not and the offer is more of a take it or leave it.
                    Be sure which one Northern District of Calif is before making that move.

Not sure what your question "is there a science to establishing the class?' means.
                    www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

• I’ve applied to the US Probation Officer announcement for the District of Massachusetts. Does anybody have specifics on that district I.e. flex time, comp time, tele work, if they are armed, and their development cycle? Thank you in advance.

Comment

• I officially have my start date! Any tips that might help make the transition a smooth one are greatly appreciated.

Comment

• teamhoyt
                          teamhoyt commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Catch FLETC right away in spring. July and August suited up at the outdoor range is a beast and the a/c in the mat rooms leaves a bit to be desired. Avoid budget crunch and inclement weather periods if possible, or you may have a shortened program (again spring is the finest time to enjoy Chuckstown). Be eager but show a willingness to learn. Feds operate different from any state/county I’m aware of.

If you don’t have a tailored suit, go get one

• Balco42
                          Balco42 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thank you for the advice, teamhoyt! Any idea how long after starting I should expect to attend FLETC?

• teamhoyt
                          teamhoyt commented
                          Editing a comment
                          It was less than three months for me. I also had multiple people in my FLETC class that had been on the job for well over a year. I haven’t paid that much attention to our new hires’ timelines. My district has always been very considerate of family situations and such in asking officers if they’re ready. There’s no hard and fast rule.

FLETC is an enormous investment in a new hire. Some districts wait to see how new hires are adjusting; FLETC smurfs are a reflection of their district and chief - you’ll get the lectures (a guy from my class is the subject of one such story).

If I were you, I’d get in, find out district expectations as soon as possible, check FLETC openings and go from there.

• sflipping
                          sflipping commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks for your response .. by the way what district are you joining ?

• Hey just out of curiosity... Is anyone currently working or has anyone worked in there Vermont district?

Comment

• Anyone from the MD district ? I have a few specific questions

Comment

• Anyone have any first hand info on the Western District of Oklahoma?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9475 users online. 364 members and 9111 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X