Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jdg0044
    replied
    It was just a question. I already carry a gun in my current position. Just trying to understand how the process works as I will be starting in a couple weeks.

Leave a comment:

• holycrikey
    replied
    Originally posted by dsb05c View Post
    Badge no... Gun yes at least in my district. After fletc, you have to request in writing to carry a gun and the chief judge signs off.
    I'll add as a caveat from my district... We are allowed to be issued a firearm prior to FLETC basic training. We go through the same training and qualification course with our in-house instructors over the course of a week. They seem to prefer not to do this with officers that have little or no firearms experience, but with officers who have been previously firearm-certified/qualified in other jobs, they are more comfortable.

Leave a comment:

• dsb05c
    replied
    Nope started here as a POA in 2008.

Leave a comment:

• AC2011
    replied
    DSB05C, did you just transfer from CT?

Leave a comment:

• GA12
    replied
    Originally posted by jdg0044 View Post
    Do you have to wait until after FLETC before they issue you a gun and badge?
    Easy bud, if you want a gun so bad apply to be a police officer. We aren't cops and our use of force policy is purely defensive.

Leave a comment:

• dsb05c
    replied
    Yes we are. We just had a wave of retirements last year that they sorta will backfill. This year some regular retirements that will get backfilled immediately. About to be 4 senior officer positions. If those are filled locally, they will get backfilled. Also hearing we were suppose to bring on a PSR transfer who backed out. So there is an immediate need for a PSR person in Tampa.

Leave a comment:

• Nola504
    replied
    dsb05c....have you guys interviewed for any transfers or new hires? I see that your district has had the vacancy announcement up for a while. I was looking into possibly applying. I went to FLETC with a officer in your office.

Leave a comment:

• dsb05c
    replied
    I work in the middle district.

Leave a comment:

• AC2011
    replied
    DSB05C, what district do you work out of in FL?

Leave a comment:

• dsb05c
    replied
    Badge no... Gun yes at least in my district. After fletc, you have to request in writing to carry a gun and the chief judge signs off.

Leave a comment:

• jdg0044
    replied
    Do you have to wait until after FLETC before they issue you a gun and badge?

Leave a comment:

• GA12
    replied
    Originally posted by AC2011 View Post
    GA12, how much mobility are you talking about?
    Once a position opens in the district you'd like to relocate to you have to apply like everyone else but it's referred to as "transferring" and it happens quite often. You would certainly get preference if you have been doing the job and have been to FLETC. It's also an incentive that you would know what you're doing from the first day. The system is uniform so the way they do things in ND/TX is the same as SD/NY and so on. Little things may be different like specific protocols but you would likely be able to hit the ground running

Money-wise it makes sense to transfer during your first 5 years because once you start making $70k+ districts won't want to hire you as an entry level officer because it isn't cost efficient. They also don't have to pay you what you are making in your current district. My $.02...

Leave a comment:

• AC2011
    replied
    GA12, how much mobility are you talking about?

Leave a comment:

• Nola504
    replied
    Originally posted by rtv View Post
    just came upon this thread and find it helpful. i recently applied to a couple of USPO positions in the midwest. i've got a ba in criminal justice and two years of federal correctional officer experience working primarily in max security at a FCI. it seems that most USPO's who have provided input say that a masters degree plus experience is the ticket to getting hired. are there many out there who have only bachelors degree and less than, say 3 years experience? i didn't initially realize it was so highly competitive. thx.
    I got hired with just a bachelors degree and several other officers that I work got hired with a bachelors as well. Most districts PREFER the but you can get hired without it. It is recommended. I had 4 1/2 yrs with county juvenile probation. I served in specialized positions and served on several committees to help myself look better as a candidate. I would highly highly recommended that if you are on the state/county level of probation that you get as much experience in presentence reports as you can as most districts hire for that position. It is rare that you go straight into supervision.

Leave a comment:

• GA12
    replied
    Originally posted by rtv View Post
    just came upon this thread and find it helpful. i recently applied to a couple of USPO positions in the midwest. i've got a ba in criminal justice and two years of federal correctional officer experience working primarily in max security at a FCI. it seems that most USPO's who have provided input say that a masters degree plus experience is the ticket to getting hired. are there many out there who have only bachelors degree and less than, say 3 years experience? i didn't initially realize it was so highly competitive. thx.
    We just interviewed a state CO in my district and he did well in the interview. I'd say it's possible to get the job coming from a corrections job. I'd take as much training as you can in evidence based practices and pump up your resume. Good luck and flood the gates with applications. Don't be afraid to relocate as this is a great job and has mobility once hired.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8577 users online. 443 members and 8134 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X