Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had my medical exam done with FOH on Wednesday and overnighted the same night. Anyone know the current turn around right now for the national review? I know they have 30 days to make recommendation either way, just curious if anyone knows if they are swamped right now or not.

Comment

• Hello,

I am am preparing for an interview for USPO with the Eastern District of California. Do you have any advice or tips? I will be taking a 20 min written exam, and then will be interviewed by a panel. Thanks in advance for your insights.

Comment

• Originally posted by Raqui View Post
        Hello,

I am am preparing for an interview for USPO with the Eastern District of California. Do you have any advice or tips? I will be taking a 20 min written exam, and then will be interviewed by a panel. Thanks in advance for your insights.
        Find out as much as you can about the job and the agency would be my first tip and it should not be too difficult to get that info.
        www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Raqui View Post
          Hello,

Agree with Brown on this, as previously stated standards are different in nearly every single district. Some districts have take home cars, K9's, very active SRT teams, work nights, weekends, and are LE oriented, others push pencils and write reports M-F 8-4. The other thing I have come to learn is that every district is different as far as pay goes. When I went to FLETC I was a CL-28, the guy sitting next to me, who actually had more P&P experience, was a CL-25. I was literally making $20,000 more a year than him, exact same time in the system, just different districts. I have also found out that he only gets two step increases every six months for a total of 4, I can get up to 6 for a total of 12. BE CAREFUL! Find someone from that district and ask questions.

Comment

• Originally posted by LadyKiller View Post

Agree with Brown on this, as previously stated standards are different in nearly every single district. Some districts have take home cars, K9's, very active SRT teams, work nights, weekends, and are LE oriented, others push pencils and write reports M-F 8-4. The other thing I have come to learn is that every district is different as far as pay goes. When I went to FLETC I was a CL-28, the guy sitting next to me, who actually had more P&P experience, was a CL-25. I was literally making $20,000 more a year than him, exact same time in the system, just different districts. I have also found out that he only gets two step increases every six months for a total of 4, I can get up to 6 for a total of 12. BE CAREFUL! Find someone from that district and ask questions.
            I'd like to play devil's advocate here with another anecdote. When I started, I was at CL25. This was partly due to a poor economy at the time and our district's budget was limited (we now tend to hire "standard" at CL-27). I went to FLETC with guys from the next district over who were starting out at CL-27 or 28. Would I trade with them? Never. They had political issues, internal issues, ethical concerns, etc. Their chief decided that they'd hire less officers and give current officers more salary. What did that translate to? Way higher caseloads. My district went the route of hiring more officers, less overall salary, but much reduced caseloads. I'd say quality of work/life balance was extremely better where I was. We didn't have internal problems and our district was heavy on being family-oriented.

"Find someone from that district and ask questions."

Absolutely this, I agree. You'd do yourself a disservice by not researching and trying your best to talk to someone who works in the district you're interested in. Just beware that money isn't everything. If you are totally discounting a district because they start off lower, maybe there are other issues at play. Just another story here to consider....

Comment

• Originally posted by holycrikey View Post

I'd like to play devil's advocate here with another anecdote. When I started, I was at CL25. This was partly due to a poor economy at the time and our district's budget was limited (we now tend to hire "standard" at CL-27). I went to FLETC with guys from the next district over who were starting out at CL-27 or 28. Would I trade with them? Never. They had political issues, internal issues, ethical concerns, etc. Their chief decided that they'd hire less officers and give current officers more salary. What did that translate to? Way higher caseloads. My district went the route of hiring more officers, less overall salary, but much reduced caseloads. I'd say quality of work/life balance was extremely better where I was. We didn't have internal problems and our district was heavy on being family-oriented.

Absolutely this, I agree. You'd do yourself a disservice by not researching and trying your best to talk to someone who works in the district you're interested in. Just beware that money isn't everything. If you are totally discounting a district because they start off lower, maybe there are other issues at play. Just another story here to consider....
              Excellent point!

Comment

• Originally posted by LadyKiller View Post

Not to mention dress code, flex time, telework, comp time, all those "work-life balance" factors vary WILDLY from district to district. Which are just as vital to morale as pay (as noted by holycrikey).

Originally posted by holycrikey View Post

Absolutely agree.
                www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

• Can someone give me insight on the Atlanta or Indianapolis offices? Like telework, and court appearances and any other work/life balances

Comment

• jroberts5
                    jroberts5 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sent you a PM.

• Originally posted by jaybyaz View Post
                  Can someone give me insight on the Atlanta or Indianapolis offices? Like telework, and court appearances and any other work/life balances
                  Sent you a message. PM wasn't working properly though.
                  www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

• I applied to Atlanta today.

Comment

• Is anyone aware of districts that hire people without Probation experience?

Comment

• Originally posted by NCG128 View Post
                        Is anyone aware of districts that hire people without Probation experience?
                        There are some that do, but I couldn't name them, as I dont remember.
                        www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

• Could anyone here answer some questions about the Southern District of California? Your help is appreciated.

Comment

• holycrikey
                            holycrikey commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Holy ****... I can't help you with SD/CA, but your username man... I thought I was a huge probation nerd but you just bested me going straight to 18 USC 3583 for your name.

Was 18 USC 3603 already taken? Dang, maybe I better snag that one....

• Nola504
                            Nola504 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            You will be begging to get out of that district within two years. Do not let the location fool you.

• 18usc3583
                            18usc3583 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thank you for the reply. Is there anything particular about CA/S that makes it that undesirable? Any info is helpful!

• brownj21 I tried to pm you but it said your box is full. Any chance you can give me some insight on the Atlanta office? Thanks.

Comment

• Hey there,

i just received a call for an interview with the Northern District of California. Can anyone give me insight into the interview process and the culture of the district? Thanks!

Comment

• Nola504
                              Nola504 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              You will be asking for a transfer out that district within two years....

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7694 users online. 170 members and 7524 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X