Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost2Apathy
    replied
    Where have they been hiring US probation officers lately?

I've applied to riverside county CA a little bit ago, but I've been ignored by HR for the past few weeks after they said they would offer me a Skype test administration.

I was really excited about the position, but it looks like you have to know certain locations are opening for this position.
    Last edited by Lost2Apathy; 09-23-2014, 10:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jdg0044
    replied
    Originally posted by holycrikey View Post
    I try and chime in here every once in awhile. I agree with the above posters that at least in my district (also in the south), we don't hire above CL 25 unless it's a transfer from another district. Everyone comes in at CL25, regardless of what the posting states. Sucks, but most districts are still fairly tight on money. Things are getting better though. Speaking with some other officers across the nation, I do know that some districts are hiring at higher levels. They are the rarity, it seems. It's possible though.

Also, should any new/upcoming USPOs have any questions about FLETC Charleston, hit me up. I'm about halfway through training and it's been great so far.
    Yeah it's too bad that all districts don't hire new officers at the higher levels based on experience, but it will probably all even out in the end. Have fun at FLETC. I'll be there in December!

Leave a comment:

• holycrikey
    replied
    I try and chime in here every once in awhile. I agree with the above posters that at least in my district (also in the south), we don't hire above CL 25 unless it's a transfer from another district. Everyone comes in at CL25, regardless of what the posting states. Sucks, but most districts are still fairly tight on money. Things are getting better though. Speaking with some other officers across the nation, I do know that some districts are hiring at higher levels. They are the rarity, it seems. It's possible though.

Also, should any new/upcoming USPOs have any questions about FLETC Charleston, hit me up. I'm about halfway through training and it's been great so far.

Leave a comment:

• AwesomePOII
    replied
    Any Officers working in the South Florida Office?? Key West?

Leave a comment:

• PSOSAC
    replied
    You are certain he won't be hired on at a 28. Is that a ND/TX policy? Shame some districts choose not to hire applicants at the level they qualify...
    Last edited by PSOSAC; 09-21-2014, 10:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jdg0044
    replied
    Originally posted by PSOSAC View Post
    Per the norm with the federal courts, each district has their own discretion on what step you're hired in at as well as your progression through the steps. With your background and experience, I would expect you would be hired at a 28 which is the equivalent to a GS 11. Your first two years will be spent in the developmental range of whatever step you're brought in at. If you're lucky, your chief will progress you at four steps every six months. However, I would expect to progress at two steps every six months until you're out of the developmental range.

Hope this helps, and I apologize for any typos as I'm using talk to text.
    He won't be hired at a CL28. Most districts are only hiring at CL25 no matter the experience. But after one year you will likely be bumped to CL27.

Leave a comment:

• PSOSAC
    replied
    Originally posted by NeverReturnKid View Post
    Can someone give me an idea of how promotions/raises work? I am looking at applying for a USPO position in the Northern District of Texas. I have nearly 4 years combined experience in Parole/Probation and as a CPS investigator, as well as a Master of Public Administration. I am hoping that's enough to get me hired on somewhere.
    Per the norm with the federal courts, each district has their own discretion on what step you're hired in at as well as your progression through the steps. With your background and experience, I would expect you would be hired at a 28 which is the equivalent to a GS 11. Your first two years will be spent in the developmental range of whatever step you're brought in at. If you're lucky, your chief will progress you at four steps every six months. However, I would expect to progress at two steps every six months until you're out of the developmental range.

Hope this helps, and I apologize for any typos as I'm using talk to text.

Leave a comment:

• NeverReturnKid
    replied
    Can someone give me an idea of how promotions/raises work? I am looking at applying for a USPO position in the Northern District of Texas. I have nearly 4 years combined experience in Parole/Probation and as a CPS investigator, as well as a Master of Public Administration. I am hoping that's enough to get me hired on somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• AwesomePOII
    replied
    Originally posted by jdg0044 View Post
    Good luck! What does your experience/education level look like?
    Thanks, Ive been a Felony Probation Officer for 3 years, worked in the Prison as a Case Manager for 1 year...Bachelors in Psychology.

Leave a comment:

• jdg0044
    replied
    Originally posted by AwesomePOII View Post
    So I recvd a letter on 9/11/14 inviting me to take the exam on 9/12/14...Im glad my current job is flexible!. I took the exam, it wasnt too bad, just LONG. It literally took me the whole 3 hours to complete. They said I will hear back either way by 10/31
    Good luck! What does your experience/education level look like?

Leave a comment:

• AwesomePOII
    replied
    So I recvd a letter on 9/11/14 inviting me to take the exam on 9/12/14...Im glad my current job is flexible!. I took the exam, it wasnt too bad, just LONG. It literally took me the whole 3 hours to complete. They said I will hear back either way by 10/31

Leave a comment:

• acacia1122
    replied
    Originally posted by GA12 View Post
    Mobility helps also. It is common for folks to move for the position. If not you are forced to wait until the next posting for your area in 1,2 or maybe 3? Years.
    I agree you are qualified and competitive but it is a very good job that lots of folks are applying for. Good luck.

Hey there

So I got a call today from personnal inviting me to take the exam? Hopefully I do well enough to secure an interview

Leave a comment:

• jdg0044
    replied
    Originally posted by holycrikey View Post
    Lucky... My district is the reverse. Pretty much 70 social work and 30 law enforcement. I really wish we could swing the other way sometimes...
    It's about the same in my district. I don't mind it though. I came from a county probation department which was 100% social work and 0% law enforcement.

Leave a comment:

• holycrikey
    replied
    Originally posted by PSOSAC View Post
    Yes, you are qualified!

My .02 cents... Remember, this position is a mix 50/50 mid law enforcement/social work. If your District is like mine, it's 70/30. U will be issued credentials/badge/and a gun. Biggest struggle I've seen is people being too social work driven and not adjusting well to being a LEO. We are there to help people; however, the safety of the community is our primary goal.

Also, regarding the hiring process. Each district operates independent from Washington. Meaning they hire how they (the Chief) want to. Each district does things differently.
    Lucky... My district is the reverse. Pretty much 70 social work and 30 law enforcement. I really wish we could swing the other way sometimes...

Leave a comment:

• DaBulls
    replied
    I'm finally branching out from applying to only openings in Florida after about 15 no-go's. I just applied for the USPO opening in Denver, Colorado and a recent one in Cheyenne, WY. I also applied, yet again, for the new PTS opening in Tampa. Eventually, the stars have to align for me.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6057 users online. 348 members and 5709 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X