X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSOSAC
    replied
    Originally posted by SamJ View Post
    Has anyone had experience with the interview process for Pretrial Services and or work as a US Pretrial Services Officer? If so, how long was the hiring process from start to finish, what is the major focus during the 6 week basic training, what percentage of the job would you say is focused on LE? Thanks in advance.
    Respectfully, go back to page one and read the entire thread. Myself and other officers have given some really good insight on the process and how it varies GREATLY from district to district.

FLETC doesn't focus on any one thing. It focuses on all aspects of the gig. Pretrial/Probation supervision, using our computer programs, writing PSR's, firearms, defensive tactics, etc. good luck.

Leave a comment:

• SamJ
    replied
    Has anyone had experience with the interview process for Pretrial Services and or work as a US Pretrial Services Officer? If so, how long was the hiring process from start to finish, what is the major focus during the 6 week basic training, what percentage of the job would you say is focused on LE? Thanks in advance.

Leave a comment:

• pragmatic1920
    replied
    I'm currently with BOP now. Good luck on your interview!

Leave a comment:

• DaBulls
    replied
    I too, finally have a job interview for a USPO position in Pensacola next week. I have been a fed LEO for ICE for 6 years now, and prior to that was a CO with the BOP for a very short while.

Leave a comment:

• pragmatic1920
    replied
    Hello everyone. I actually have a job interview on Monday in Louisiana for a U.S. Probation Officer. I was a state probation officer for five years before going to the federal bureau of prisons. Any advice? I have had 1 other job interview before that I did not get.

Leave a comment:

• SaceLA
    replied
    Wow, thanks Sciens! That sounds like a big mess and misunderstanding but I'm glad you got through it! I sure hope I hear something soon considering it's been 6 weeks since my medical exam was completed but I figured with the holidays coming around, it might set me back a bit. I also doubt I will start so soon since I still have to put in my two weeks notice as instructed by the HR coordinator in my district. I just hope they don't take my signed probationary offer of employment away for any reason because I've heard of that happening to some people. I've also tried making contact with the medical review officer in Atlanta, GA but it seems to be mission impossible to get through. Thanks for the positive feedback! The waiting game is ALWAYS the toughest part!

Leave a comment:

• sciens
    replied
    Originally posted by SaceLA View Post
    Are there any other applicants on here currently waiting for FOH medical review results? I received a medical review form 3 weeks after i had my medical exam administered. The form asked for supplemental information in regards to my LASIK surgery I had back in July. I had my eye doctor fill out the form and I mailed it back to FOH with expedited shipping that same week but I have yet to hear back. I was wondering if this is normal time frame? It's now been an additional 3 weeks since they've received my supplemental form.
    I think you might have about another week to wait as QTC/FOH has 30 days to provide the final medical results to the AO. Its pretty fast once it gets to the AO and my guess is you'll probably start on December 1st. I had somewhat of a similar situation with QTC/FOH and didn't start until 30 days after the last back-and-forth.

For me, the contracted medical examiner said I had an abnormal EKG and I was told to see my primary care doctor to have it checked out. (I have never had any history of cardiovascular problems.) I went to my primary care doctor and a private cardiologist to have myself checked out. I had multiple EKGs and also paid for a stress test with the private cardiologist. Every EKG test was normal and I tested at the highest level of cardio-respiratory fitness for my age range. I sent all the results to QTC/FOH within two weeks after the physical.

However, the contracted medical facility also neglected to conduct five additional tests during the physical, but I wasn't told by QTC until a couple of weeks later. I ended up having to go back to the facility again for a follow-up physical so they could conduct the five tests. After another 30 days, I got the word that I was cleared to start. In total, from scheduling initial physical to ultimate start date, it took nearly three months for my "medical."

Leave a comment:

• leonarmi
    replied
    Originally posted by jdg0044 View Post
    Experience is the key. I don't know of anyone who has started out with federal probation. I did 7 years with the county before I was finally hired with the feds, and every other officer I know had at least 3 years or more experience. My recommendation would be to start getting that experience as soon as you can.
    I must be doing something wrong. No state or federal job has come calling. No interviews after more than a few at state level. I guess it is true education is worthless unless you have the experience to back it up. Should have worked first went to school after. I'm getting up there in age probably time to find something else.

Leave a comment:

• jdg0044
    replied
    Experience is the key. I don't know of anyone who has started out with federal probation. I did 7 years with the county before I was finally hired with the feds, and every other officer I know had at least 3 years or more experience. My recommendation would be to start getting that experience as soon as you can.

Leave a comment:

• leonarmi
    replied
    I have been applying for a USPO for some time in various locations. From what I am reading here it must be due to my inexperience because I have gotten 0 interviews. I have an MA in Crim. Justice but can't seem to secure any employment due to my inexperience. Going through the process now in Mass and NY pretrial services officer.

Leave a comment:

• SaceLA
    replied
    Are there any other applicants on here currently waiting for FOH medical review results? I received a medical review form 3 weeks after i had my medical exam administered. The form asked for supplemental information in regards to my LASIK surgery I had back in July. I had my eye doctor fill out the form and I mailed it back to FOH with expedited shipping that same week but I have yet to hear back. I was wondering if this is normal time frame? It's now been an additional 3 weeks since they've received my supplemental form.

Leave a comment:

• holycrikey
    replied
    Originally posted by FTRSA View Post
    I have to ask.

We have a recent transfer from USPO. This person claims significant criminal investigative experience, and firearms tactics to include high risk warrant service (USPO experience, nothing else, 2 yrs of service). However, from the work products and training on tactics; shows a gross deficiency for this transfer.

For your standard USPO (no specialty assignments) is this the norm to have investigative experience and tactics?
    Is that the norm? Eh, depends. Very few (I'm talking like a handful of our 94 districts) allow USPO's to conduct arrests. I know of maybe two districts that allow their USPOs to do this. They are out there though, so it is definitely possible. Firearms tactics? Yes. Almost all of the 94 districts are armed and trained at FLETC or in district. Firearms training is continual. Officers can go back to FLETC to become firearms instructors for their districts, and they can do it relatively quickly. There are a couple districts that have chief judges who don't allow a firearms program (I think it's only one or two districts). So yes, firearms tactics are there.

Investigative experience? Depends on what you qualify as investigative. Do we do investigations? Yes. Supervision officers have to go out an investigate proposed residences for current BOP inmates to determine suitability. Court services/pre-trial/pre-sentence officers do investigations by interviewing defendants, family members, checking records at various jails, prisons, PD's, clerks of court, etc etc. We do some investigations by collaborating with local PD's, generating enough information for violation reports, checking criminal histories, interviewing collateral contacts (family members, friends, treatment providers, etc etc). These are just a few examples. We don't directly conduct investigations in a manner to find and begin prosecution on new crimes though, which is what a lot of people think of when they think of investigative work. This is a grey area. I do know of a few districts that work right alongside US Marshals and assist in conducting surveillance and such, although this too is a rarity.

Hope that helps. US Probation (and probation in general) is a really weird blend of stuff.
    Last edited by holycrikey; 11-14-2014, 03:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• FTRSA
    replied
    Deleted post
    Last edited by FTRSA; 01-30-2016, 02:48 PM. Reason: Deleted post

Leave a comment:

• PSOSAC
    replied
    In my pursuit of an 1811 gig, being in a covered position with TS clearance has been looked upon favorably.

That being said, your assignment once your in will play a roll when competing for an 1811 gig. Will you be sitting behind a desk all day writing PSR's, or will you be out and about serving warrants and making arrests? My .02 cents; choose your District wisely my friend.

Leave a comment:

• dsb05c
    replied
    Originally posted by holycrikey View Post
    Depends a ton on which 1811 position in which agency. Some may like it, some may not. A lot depends on their mission. I can say in a very generic manner that in my district, we've had a few USPOs move on to 1811 gigs and I've heard of the same at a few other districts. So it is definitely possible, but I think you'd need other work or experience to really stand out (as is the norm for 1811 gigs). At the very least, you'd get a tiny leg up by already being in a federally designated law enforcement position, even though in reality and practice, most districts are only maybe 40-50% law enforcement.
    Agree with this. Current USPO and going through the process for a 1811 position now. Have applied to several and gotten the not the most highly qualified response. It depends on how you list the investigative experience and some don't consider probarion law enforcent enough.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13402 users online. 526 members and 12876 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X