• Show
Clear All

• Nick2
    replied
    no sarcasm at all

Leave a comment:

• dsb05c
    replied
    Keep applying. We have people who weren't state probation officers before.

Leave a comment:

• 3531Marine
    replied
    It's only a Graduate Certificate, which is only 18 credits (essentially half of a masters), so I am a little behind on that. A while back I spoke with a PO from the office that I applied to and he said he got hired on right out of grad school with no LE, probation, or military experience. I don't recall how long he's been on but don't think it's been longer than a decade. My lack of probation experience is by far my biggest set back, especially if the office places less emphasis on LE. Regardless, I will let you guys know if I continue past the application stage.

Leave a comment:

• dsb05c
    replied
    I'm not sure how it is handled in my district. We have vets but never heard them mention vet pref and getting on board. The issue is that each district operates almost as a independent agency so what is impressive with vary from district to district. Some are more LE centered and some social service. But your resume does sound impressive. Having a masters is almost becoming standard in my district with the new hires.

Leave a comment:

• 3531Marine
    replied
    Originally posted by Nick2 View Post
    Sounds like a pretty outstanding resume to me.
    Is this sarcasm? If not then I appreciate the complement but still think that I am lacking some things that applicants in the top 20 percent have. That's why I'm curious as to how vet preference is handled as it may be able to help me get in the top range.

Leave a comment:

• Nick2
    replied
    Originally posted by 3531Marine View Post
    I know this position is in the excepted service but does anyone know their policy/practice for veterans preference? I have local le, federal corrections, a BA with 3.75, a grad certificate, and am a 10 pt vet. I'm not holding my breath for this position but figure it won't hurt to apply.
    Sounds like a pretty outstanding resume to me.

Leave a comment:

• 3531Marine
    replied
    I know this position is in the excepted service but does anyone know their policy/practice for veterans preference? I have local le, federal corrections, a BA with 3.75, a grad certificate, and am a 10 pt vet. I'm not holding my breath for this position but figure it won't hurt to apply.

Leave a comment:

• DaBulls
    replied
    Thanks man. We've spoken on PM before. I'm a fellow USF Bull, hence the screen name. I'm sending you a PM now.

Leave a comment:

• dsb05c
    replied
    Good luck, pm me if you have any questions

Leave a comment:

• DaBulls
    replied
    Thanks brother. I interviewed for the Northern District of Florida position (they were filling two), but ultimately did not get selected. Tampa is my home though. I will be applying..................for the umteenth million time

Leave a comment:

• dsb05c
    replied
    FYI, a lot of districts around the country (including mine) will start gearing up to hire a good number of new officers. Due to attrition from retirements and the new crack retro releases, we are about to get a lot of new cases and need officers to get on board quickly. Be watching both USA Jobs or whatever districts public page you are interested in.

http://www.uscourts.gov/Careers/JobV...0.369861229716

Leave a comment:

• NeverReturnKid
    replied
    I was just wondering because in Midland, Tx everyone works in the oil field, and fast food places offer $14 an hour because you can get a job making 60-80k without a degree in the oil field.

Leave a comment:

• dsb05c
    replied
    Depends on where your chief brings you in on the payscale. If you start at the bottom, it can take 6 years to reach full performance. I got promoted from a POA in June 2011 and still halfway through the developmental stage. Districts can operate very differently and be in very differnece financial situations.

Leave a comment:

• NeverReturnKid
    replied
    Took the test and now have an interview scheduled with the Supervisory Probation Officer in Midland, TX. I know I've asked about salaries before, but how much would one expect to be making after about 3 years?

Leave a comment:

• Nixon35
    replied
    Thanks for all the info. I've been trying to get into federal probation for quite sometime so to finally get close is pretty exciting. Now to just play the waiting game. Thanks for the posts. This forum really gave a great insight into what the job entails.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6983 users online. 398 members and 6585 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X