Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A whole month without any new posts.....
    Anybody making moves?
    www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

• Since every district is different, any insight on the individual Probation and Pretrial Agencies of the Southern and Central Districts of California would be appreciated. Things like workplace culture, LE/social work emphasis/philosophy, hiring practices, etc. and I guess the usual stuff everyone always asks like firearms and vehicle policy.

Comment

• I have an interview in the Spokane office. They seem really nice so far. Anyone have anything to add about this office?

Comment

• Any current USPO's on here can speak on secondary employment? Are USPO's able to pursue secondary employment as a sworn peace officer? Any districts give flack about signing any peace officer verification paperwork in order to moonlight in security?

In many cities, off-duty law-enforcement security work is plentiful and can be a great supplement for the lack of OT that many suburban police officer, non-1811 feds, and some county law-enforcement officers do not receive. I know for some cities, it's not as flexible as us midwest people, in the sense that private businesses by law, must contract with the law-enforcement agency to deploy officers for private security and the PD pays them and the business pays the PD... Not the case for my state. If you're a sworn peace officer, you're eligible to serve as an off-duty po/security (some companies don't employ CO's since they have gray area firearms policies).

This might be a moot topic as many USPO's particularly Supervising PO's and above don't have to moonlight because that's when the good money starts getting made, particularly the more you ascend to Asst. DCUSPO, DCUSPO and Chief USPO.

Comment

• Any of this Police Federal Officer gear fly in any other USPO districts? I believe this is out in New York, tactical training exercise... Before I get shot down with the "we are not police". I believe the visible presence and display of images that state "PROBATION" or "POLICE" or "FEDERAL OFFICER" used together or separately enables great public safety advantages and may yield greater compliance from unwilling probationers or third party offenders while in the performance of your probation duties doing routine field work or simply serving in a task force setting with other agencies...

I don't know about some of you, but in certain potentially hostile or hostile situations on-duty/off-duty, I'm not going to yell "United States Probation Office" "Law Enforcement" "Federal Probation Officer".... I'm simply going to say "POLICE".... Just like a DA Investigator wouldn't yell, "stop, Anytown County District Attorney Office Investigations Officer", you'll be dead before you even get to the word Investigations LOL.... There are so many federal law-enforcement agencies that are officers, agents, 1811, 1801s, etc. (excluding obviously TSA airport security, BOP corrections, etc)... I'm sure the social work probation admin's hate it, however, I think it's important to just simply identify as "POLICE" in certain applications and display it as such, many local and federal agencies forgo the long department names on outwear wear and simply elect to simply have their personnel have the option to just display "POLICE", don't think no litigious action has come from any agency doing this? Even probation. Particularly the task force participants

Thoughts guys?

Comment

• VidaG I'm a state probation and parole officer. You pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Comment

• I'm not aware of any districts that issue gear that indicates "federal police" or "federal officer". There may be a few here and there but good luck finding those. In fact, field work is done in plain clothes. POs/PSOs aren't permitted to wear clothing that identifies you as such.

Comment

• Currently I'm a probation and parole officer for the state, and it seems like we operate similarly to the federal level where it depends on your location in the state as to whether or not you get telework, take home vehicles and even how caseload is structured is dependent upon where you are assigned. Does anyone have any immediate info on GA northern and middle district, as well as Texas northern district. Also with our agency each office has an "arrest team" that goes into the field and serves our warrants with local pd and county marshals if applicable, we also have an "immediate Response team" with each district that is basically on call 24/7 to respond anywhere in the state and a fugitive unit that work solely with said counties marshal's office. Does any district have anything like this along with telawork, take home cars and are issued primary and backup weapons?

Comment

• AM92 - I have only heard of one district in the country which issues take-home vehicles. Also, officers are only issues one firearm which is to be used/carried during field work. Some districts may permit you to carry your weapon while in the office, etc, but the overwhelming majority only let you carry it while in the field.

I'm not aware of any districts that have "arrest teams". Our warrants are served by the US Marshals Service. USPOs have statutory powers of arrest but I am not aware of any district that enforces this. In fact, arresting, etc, is not taught at the initial officer training academy.

Comment

• Originally posted by SBR15 View Post
                      AM92 - I have only heard of one district in the country which issues take-home vehicles. Also, officers are only issues one firearm which is to be used/carried during field work. Some districts may permit you to carry your weapon while in the office, etc, but the overwhelming majority only let you carry it while in the field.

I'm not aware of any districts that have "arrest teams". Our warrants are served by the US Marshals Service. USPOs have statutory powers of arrest but I am not aware of any district that enforces this. In fact, arresting, etc, is not taught at the initial officer training academy.
                      Why do districts operate this way? What's the point of sending people to FLETC, getting the trained, swearing them in, only to tell them... By the way, you can't carry your weapon while in the performance of your duties in the office, however, you can in the field and off-duty per LEOSA.

Which district issues take-home vehicles?

Comment

• Sorry Vida i have not answered your PM. I left probation for a 1811 gig and its been pretty busy. Duty weapons are for field work only. We weren't allowed to wear in the office and def not off duty. We did have vests that had Federal Officer or Federal agent that we used on searches. Previously, we were still concealed but felt it was a safety issue and potentially blue on blue if things went left and we weren't easily identifiable. Searches were the time we open carried.

US marshals serve warrants. Not aware of any districts that have arrest teams but there might be some. Not aware of take home cars and believe it was an IRS tax thing.

The rest of your questions largely rely on the district. Starting salary, salary progression, caseloads, promotional potentional vary from district to district. FLETC is a broad training that is meant to covering some basics but many in your class likely will be on for a year before showing up. I did enjoy the firearms and defensive tactics as I believe they are getting better but still largely reactionary.

The reason is federal probation does what they do is in response to working for federal judges who want officers to be more neutral/objective.

Comment

• I've heard from the older USPO/USPSOs that this job used to be much more l/e focused. Since I've been on, it's been a pretty clear vision of social work and rehabilitation.

Comment

• Originally posted by VidaG View Post
                            Any current USPO's on here can speak on secondary employment? Are USPO's able to pursue secondary employment as a sworn peace officer? Any districts give flack about signing any peace officer verification paperwork in order to moonlight in security?

In many cities, off-duty law-enforcement security work is plentiful and can be a great supplement for the lack of OT that many suburban police officer, non-1811 feds, and some county law-enforcement officers do not receive. I know for some cities, it's not as flexible as us midwest people, in the sense that private businesses by law, must contract with the law-enforcement agency to deploy officers for private security and the PD pays them and the business pays the PD... Not the case for my state. If you're a sworn peace officer, you're eligible to serve as an off-duty po/security (some companies don't employ CO's since they have gray area firearms policies).

This might be a moot topic as many USPO's particularly Supervising PO's and above don't have to moonlight because that's when the good money starts getting made, particularly the more you ascend to Asst. DCUSPO, DCUSPO and Chief USPO.

Vida-as I have posted many times in this thread, the answers to these questions vary greatly from district to district.
                            In my district, secondary law enforcement or even private security positions are not allowed. However, I have heard of some districts that DO allow such employment.

www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

• Originally posted by VidaG View Post
                              Any of this Police Federal Officer gear fly in any other USPO districts? I believe this is out in New York, tactical training exercise... Before I get shot down with the "we are not police". I believe the visible presence and display of images that state "PROBATION" or "POLICE" or "FEDERAL OFFICER" used together or separately enables great public safety advantages and may yield greater compliance from unwilling probationers or third party offenders while in the performance of your probation duties doing routine field work or simply serving in a task force setting with other agencies...

I don't know about some of you, but in certain potentially hostile or hostile situations on-duty/off-duty, I'm not going to yell "United States Probation Office" "Law Enforcement" "Federal Probation Officer".... I'm simply going to say "POLICE".... Just like a DA Investigator wouldn't yell, "stop, Anytown County District Attorney Office Investigations Officer", you'll be dead before you even get to the word Investigations LOL.... There are so many federal law-enforcement agencies that are officers, agents, 1811, 1801s, etc. (excluding obviously TSA airport security, BOP corrections, etc)... I'm sure the social work probation admin's hate it, however, I think it's important to just simply identify as "POLICE" in certain applications and display it as such, many local and federal agencies forgo the long department names on outwear wear and simply elect to simply have their personnel have the option to just display "POLICE", don't think no litigious action has come from any agency doing this? Even probation. Particularly the task force participants

Thoughts guys?
                              Some districts allow and issue gear like what's shown there for certain "special" situations, such as the search of a residence.
                              However, as others have pointed out, typical field work attire is concealed firearm, khakis and a polo or something similar. As stated above, even that will vary from district to district.

**Also, I apologize for multiple replies, but it is not letting me do a multi-quote response.**
                              www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

• Originally posted by AM92 View Post
                                Currently I'm a probation and parole officer for the state, and it seems like we operate similarly to the federal level where it depends on your location in the state as to whether or not you get telework, take home vehicles and even how caseload is structured is dependent upon where you are assigned. Does anyone have any immediate info on GA northern and middle district, as well as Texas northern district. Also with our agency each office has an "arrest team" that goes into the field and serves our warrants with local pd and county marshals if applicable, we also have an "immediate Response team" with each district that is basically on call 24/7 to respond anywhere in the state and a fugitive unit that work solely with said counties marshal's office. Does any district have anything like this along with telawork, take home cars and are issued primary and backup weapons?
                                Send me a PM with these questions, please.
                                www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9141 users online. 379 members and 8762 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X