300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dsb05c View Post
    I was a USPO and left within the last year for a 1811 gig. I have been surprised so far that I worked more nights in probation but it was scheduled nights where I came in at noon and worked until 9 or 10. Now just things can come up that turn into a 12 or 13 hour day. Like brownj21 said, in my district if you worked more than 40, thanks for the donation. Think I only comped 1 day in 7 years. Maybe flex here and there an hour or so but it was not common. It was tough to only work 40 and get your work done with new initiatives and rising caseloads numbers. My leap hours now are just being available according to my sup. It's much easier to control location with probation. Every time we would meet other officers at fletc, we would talk about how things worked in their districts. Each district is almost like a separate agency. Some had to use their own pov for field work, some hardly ever went to court on violations as, some had to go multiple times to court to deal with a single violation. In my own district my complaint was that each division had very different rules depending on who the judges were that made it seem like 3 separate districts. The pay was a big reason myself and a few others have left for 1811 gigs. I was still in the developmental phase even though I had been a USPO for over 5 years and I was a poa for a few years before that. 1811 job matched my base pay so essentially got a raise for LEAP. Step increases that changed after 2009 and freezing step increases in 2013 killed a lot of the moral. People retired because it wasn't worth it getting killed in stress for little increase each year. And new officers who are less than 5 years in are leaving for 1811 gigs because they had to get masters to get the USPO job but pay increases barely enough to keep up. I have heard some chiefs bringing in officers at a higher rate to offset this or cash awards. Just depends on the district and their chief.
    Aside from earning a better salary, how do like the 1811 position in regards to the day-to-day duties/tasks and overall mission compared to that of a USPO? Do you enjoy the work of a criminal investigator more or is it one of those things where its "just a job"?

Comment

• I enjoy the job more but im still learning. Guys I know that we're street cops have trouble because there is more office time than they thought when they were used to just running and chasing bad guys. 1811 is slower paced, historical and largely run from behind a computer. Some agencies are better than others depending on their nexus/jurisdiction. You need an AUSA and a sup to approve an investigation. USPO, I was out in the field alot but being in the field is just checking up on offenders and largely able to work on my own. Now i need partner anytime i need to interview someonw. We had some fun stuff and searches with probation but that was not every day, week or month. I like the criminal enforcement instead of just being eyes for the court. I applied for the 1811 gig thinking I would take a paycut and start over. I was surprised at the end when they said they'd match my base pay. I had been in the developmental phase since 2011 and still was only halfway (still step 13). Bump in pay was a bonus. Another classmate (prior uspo) took a 20 or 30k paycut. Actually we had a lot in my class that left jobs taking 20-30k paycuts from their previous agency to my current one.

Comment

I enjoy the job more but im still learning. Guys I know that we're street cops have trouble because there is more office time than they thought when they were used to just running and chasing bad guys. 1811 is slower paced, historical and largely run from behind a computer. Some agencies are better than others depending on their nexus/jurisdiction. You need an AUSA and a sup to approve an investigation. USPO, I was out in the field alot but being in the field is just checking up on offenders and largely able to work on my own. Now i need partner anytime i need to interview someonw. We had some fun stuff and searches with probation but that was not every day, week or month. I like the criminal enforcement instead of just being eyes for the court. I applied for the 1811 gig thinking I would take a paycut and start over. I was surprised at the end when they said they'd match my base pay. I had been in the developmental phase since 2011 and still was only halfway (still step 13). Bump in pay was a bonus. Another classmate (prior uspo) took a 20 or 30k paycut. Actually we had a lot in my class that left jobs taking 20-30k paycuts from their previous agency to my current one.
        Congratulations - sounds like things are going well for you as an 1811. It's amazing you were hired considering you didn't have any prior law enforcement experience (JK - I couldn't help myself ). I've had the itch to make the leap for a while; however, I ended up putting all my eggs in one basket with one agency and it backfired big time. Nonetheless, I'm happy to see others in my agency who are happy they made the change!

This thread has been frustrating lately... It's unfortunate reading other officers talk about how there district is being run. 70 hr weeks, with no LEAP (i know it's not an option for us)/Flextime/telework, etc. is crazy. Three year commitments don't carry much weight in my book. I personally know three officers who have "transferred" to other districts within two years of starting without their current chief's blessing. It's all about how your articulate your reasons for wanting to move/transfer. The good leaders in our agencies know there are bad chiefs out there and they're willing to burn a bridge to get the right person for their district. Plus, IMO any decent chief should understand and respect your reasons for wanting to transfer.

Districts do exist that have 40 hr work week, comp-time, flextime, training opportunities, etc. Also, there are plenty of districts that do NOT keep you in the developmental range forever. Yrs ago I was hired as a 28 and stayed in the developmental range for approximately two years. That seems to be perfectly legitimate, considering it took me approximately two years to understand what the hell I was doing...

Comment

• Agree. Chiefs can make it pleasant or miserable depending on the way they treat the officers. When I first started I loved probation ans their was a specified senior officer (dealing with the most vioent and witsec cases) position that I thought would be my goal. But new management changed things and all senior officer positions became the same and dealt with all cases and seemed mostly mental health and sex offenders. Those are mentally draining and see way to many officers get burnt out. Senior officers retire as soon as their eligible. All how your district manages it. Some do well and others I believe forget what it's like to be officers. Support staff that do most of the boring admin paperwork are being phased out. I told my chief when I left, I feel I spend more time using cute phrases in my chronos and writing a novel using keywords instead of actually supervising my caseload. AO stuff rubbed me raw as they tried to tell us how other districts do things but don't take it the culture of the area and the way judges in our district. There are some districts that would be quite pleasant to work for. And some a nightmare. Same for any agency.

Comment

• Originally posted by brownj21 View Post
            I get asked that a lot, understandably so. First I would say that we have a 3 year agreement to stay here. That is required as a part of the job. With that said, I have surpassed those 3 years, but at least starting out, I could not transfer because of that. And yes, it is strictly enforced.

Since I am beyond those 3 years now, I do have a lot of things that tie me to this location. One is that all of my family is here and they assist with picking up and keeping my children (like when I am on these 12 hour days and such LOL). That is probably reason #1. My dad's health has declined a lot in the last couple of years as well. I would hate to be far away if something were to happen.

Also, my wife has a good job that she loves and it would be difficult (but not impossible) to replicate her pay and happiness.

But yes, it is very frustrating to have the knowledge of how things are so very different (and better) just a few hours in any direction. And you are correct, in my time with this agency I have met officers from all over the country. And in talking with them it seems that they are happy and satisfied...and most of that happiness is tied to the benefits discussed that my district does not offer (comp time, telework, etc).
            Understand the frustration ^^. Hats off to you for staying put while knowing what other districts have to offer. Stay safe!

Comment

I was a USPO and left within the last year for a 1811 gig. I have been surprised so far that I worked more nights in probation but it was scheduled nights where I came in at noon and worked until 9 or 10. Now just things can come up that turn into a 12 or 13 hour day. Like brownj21 said, in my district if you worked more than 40, thanks for the donation. Think I only comped 1 day in 7 years. Maybe flex here and there an hour or so but it was not common. It was tough to only work 40 and get your work done with new initiatives and rising caseloads numbers. My leap hours now are just being available according to my sup. It's much easier to control location with probation. Every time we would meet other officers at fletc, we would talk about how things worked in their districts. Each district is almost like a separate agency. Some had to use their own pov for field work, some hardly ever went to court on violations as, some had to go multiple times to court to deal with a single violation. In my own district my complaint was that each division had very different rules depending on who the judges were that made it seem like 3 separate districts. The pay was a big reason myself and a few others have left for 1811 gigs. I was still in the developmental phase even though I had been a USPO for over 5 years and I was a poa for a few years before that. 1811 job matched my base pay so essentially got a raise for LEAP. Step increases that changed after 2009 and freezing step increases in 2013 killed a lot of the moral. People retired because it wasn't worth it getting killed in stress for little increase each year. And new officers who are less than 5 years in are leaving for 1811 gigs because they had to get masters to get the USPO job but pay increases barely enough to keep up. I have heard some chiefs bringing in officers at a higher rate to offset this or cash awards. Just depends on the district and their chief.
              Did you have to move to a less desirable location for the 1811 job?

Comment

• Depends on your opinion. My hometown wasn't an option but my offer was a pretty good location. Some in my class got selections high up on their preference sheets. Some it was their last choice.

Comment

• What are the more desirable districts for USPO and 1811?

Comment

• Anyone? Bueller....bueller.

Comment

• Sorry. Site was down for awhile. That really depends on the individual. For both jobs I had, people who went to Detroit or Puerto Rico, which I would dread but they were from there so it was their first choice. Family is a big reason people choose certain regions. SW Border can be tough. San Francisco is a pretty city but Cost of Living is ridiculously high. I know a good number of people that requested anywhere but DC because they just wanted to get away from ridiculous traffic. Pros and cons to every area.

Comment

• Cubs4life it really depends on what you think is desirable. I would LOVE to be an 1811 here. Cost to live here is low, and the money is good. Also, I had more than one 1811 tell me that if they make 2 cases a year they are the shining star for their office. 50 hrs for LEAP is a joke as well. Some, not all, but some of the 1811s here put out some of the weakest cases I have ever seen. I can describe what I mean in a PM, but to say some are lazy (and 1 admitted it to my face) is an understatement.

USPO in my district is just the opposite. And I know my office is the exception and not the rule, but I had issues this week regarding basic things that are not issues elsewhere. Held to very high standards.
                        www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

• Anyone with any good intel on Southern District of FL? Thinking of putting in for a transfer....

Comment

• Originally posted by Nola504 View Post
                            Anyone with any good intel on Southern District of FL? Thinking of putting in for a transfer....

Is that the Key West spot I saw open?
                            I know some folks in Fort Lauderdale that are very happy.
                            www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

No, not that one. That's WAY too expensive to live there for me. Just the Miami area

Comment

I sure wouldn't mind looking at the Southern District on NY as well. Anyone on here have info on that district?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6351 users online. 244 members and 6107 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X