X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20NOutLife
    replied
    Originally posted by jdg0044 View Post
    What is your current position? I think you'll find that USPO is a pretty well-paid position compared to most state or local agencies.
    That's what I'm interested in, the quality of life and peace of mind. My salary now is roughly 108k But money isn't everything. The flexibility of scheduling is trully attractive. I'm an officer for my local correction dept. Even though I can retire at 40, that's still young, and I wouldn't mind working till 50. Another reason I wouldn't mind leaving for US probation. Thank you for your insight

Leave a comment:

• c5rst
    replied
    No overtime pay in my district but they are liberal with schedule making and flex time. Couple days a month I'll come in at 1pm or 2pm and work till 10 or 11pm. Sometimes we come in on a Saturday and work 6 or 7 hours and then take a day off during the week. As long as you get your work done and are present in Court when required, the rest is pretty much up to you. We are expected to have our cell phones on us 24/7.

Leave a comment:

• PSOSAC
    replied
    Originally posted by jdg0044 View Post
    What is your current position? I think you'll find that USPO is a pretty well-paid position compared to most state or local agencies.
    I agree! I left my county gig 4 yrs ago and today I'm making $48k more a year. Yes, i was paid a ridiculously low salary at the county....

Leave a comment:

• jdg0044
    replied
    Originally posted by 20NOutLife View Post
    Thanks I think you're right, I was actually called back and finish with my background. But before they actually offered me the position, I want to collect some info so that I can see if it's worth leaving my current dept. They did explain to me about the caseload, take home vehicle and working from home, I didn't want to come out and ask, what are you guys paying me and can I get overtime etc. That would sound kind of unprofessional.

Leave a comment:

• 20NOutLife
    replied
    Originally posted by PSOSAC View Post
    I think you are asking a lot of district specific questions that can only be answered by officers in the district in which you applied. Just my $.02
    Thanks I think you're right, I was actually called back and finish with my background. But before they actually offered me the position, I want to collect some info so that I can see if it's worth leaving my current dept. They did explain to me about the caseload, take home vehicle and working from home, I didn't want to come out and ask, what are you guys paying me and can I get overtime etc. That would sound kind of unprofessional.

Leave a comment:

• dsb05c
    replied
    No overtime here. They have comp and flex time. I hardly use either unless working a weekend.

Leave a comment:

• PSOSAC
    replied
    What does flex an hour mean? I'm trying to understand the concept. And you work 45-50hrs, get pay for 40 and the rest is in comp. Or no matter how much work u do, as long as it equal to 40hrs per week, then your fine. If I take the offered, can I make my own schedule to let say, work 4 10hrs days and having 3 days off. I work for my local dept so the whole concept of making up or flexing a schedule is very new to me. Thank you for all your insight in this topic thus far.
    I think you are asking a lot of district specific questions that can only be answered by officers in the district in which you applied. Just my $.02

Leave a comment:

• PSOSAC
    replied
    In my district not a minute over 40 hrs is required. However, if you end up working over comp is given.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never heard of overtime being offered with the federal courts. I'm not even sure it exists...

Leave a comment:

• jdg0044
    replied
    Completely different in my district. We're required by policy to work some evening and weekend field hours. Also, I count every hour over 40 as comp time.

Leave a comment:

• dsb05c
    replied
    Basically if I have 2 field days that run between 10-12 hours each day and work 2 regular 8 hour days, I will have between 6-8 hours extra. What I do if that is the case, is just take a couple hours off on Friday and only work till 3 or so. I will not build up hours throughout the week just to take off. Reason being, 1) I'm not allowed, and 2) The work is still there so it makes things a little more hectic than if I try to just balance 40 per week. I know some are able to only work 40 hours per week and staying relatively on task. I prefer to get ahead so I'm not stressing about deadlines. Also, I am a ORT (DT Instructor) and DFI (Firearms Instructor) so that is just extra work to plan and conduct training that takes away from regular duties. Our district does not allow to work 4 10 hour days even though we have requested it multiple times. Occasionally, you can request to work a weekend in order to take off a whole day the following week. But it has been stated before, no two district are alike. There are some district that largely let people work from home. I have one buddy that was told by SUSPO not to do field work after 5 pm. My district on the other hands wants to know why we are working past 5 and on weekends. Some SUSPOs in my district are much more strict when it comes to hours. All my SUSPOS have largely left me alone because I am never cheating them hours and work the evenings at least 6-8 times per month.

Leave a comment:

• 20NOutLife
    replied
    Originally posted by dsb05c View Post
    I have used comp time only once in my 6.5 years and it was one day for travel last fall when I traveled to and from FLETC. I may flex a few hours here or there but usually will only flex an hour for any 3 I work over. Usually end the week with 45-50 hours not including hours I work at home. But I have the flexibility to make my own schedule. People choose probation for the scheduling flexibility. Not because of the pay.
    What does flex an hour mean? I'm trying to understand the concept. And you work 45-50hrs, get pay for 40 and the rest is in comp. Or no matter how much work u do, as long as it equal to 40hrs per week, then your fine. If I take the offered, can I make my own schedule to let say, work 4 10hrs days and having 3 days off. I work for my local dept so the whole concept of making up or flexing a schedule is very new to me. Thank you for all your insight in this topic thus far.

Leave a comment:

• dsb05c
    replied
    I have used comp time only once in my 6.5 years and it was one day for travel last fall when I traveled to and from FLETC. I may flex a few hours here or there but usually will only flex an hour for any 3 I work over. Usually end the week with 45-50 hours not including hours I work at home. But I have the flexibility to make my own schedule. People choose probation for the scheduling flexibility. Not because of the pay.

Leave a comment:

• holycrikey
    replied
    Is the overtime non existing overall or only in certain district? (sorry about asking about overtime again. It's just overtime puts an extra 25% on my salary now)
    It should be completely at the discretion of each district. I can tell you in my neck of the woods, overtime is impossible. You'll receive comp time that can be accrued up to 40 hours per year (my local policy). I have yet to encounter a district that looks in any way favorably towards overtime. Maybe some other districts can chime in.

Leave a comment:

• 20NOutLife
    replied
    Is the overtime non existing overall or only in certain district? (sorry about asking about overtime again. It's just overtime puts an extra 25% on my salary now)

Leave a comment:

• dsb05c
    replied
    If office is at the courthouse, business attire. Satellite offices wear business casual. No overtime and some leave at 8 hours in the day and 40 at end of week. I don't though and have my cell 24/7 to respond to alerts on home detention cases. Some will flex off their time but again I dont. There is to much work and I like having peace of mind to work extra and get things done in time.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4167 users online. 261 members and 3906 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X