Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=Cubs4life;3932760]
    Originally posted by 80srock View Post

If you don't mind sharing, whst district you work with? Can you talk more about flex time? Is the schedule pretty open for you as long as you get your 40 hours? Any OT? What is the PTO rate?
    Not sure if that person will answer, but just to be clear, all of those things you are asking about vary from district to district.

There are some districts that allow you to work your 40 hour week however you choose (all telework, 4-10 hr days, straight mon-Fri 8am-5pm, etc) while others do not allow flex, comp, or OT.
    www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

• Does anyone know anything about the NY districts, where they stand on the LEO vs.Social Service duties?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by nevergiveup725 View Post
        Does anyone know anything about the NY districts, where they stand on the LEO vs.Social Service duties?

EDNY tends to be a mix of social work and LEO. They're armed and do make arrests.

Comment

• If you want to do strictly police work why not join a police department.?

Comment

• How474, I PMed you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Usmc1586 View Post
              If you want to do strictly police work why not join a police department.?

Exactly what I have been saying. I don't get some of these people. Probably, they want the glory of the badge without putting in he work.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheDude13 View Post
                Everything you did as a police officer except write tickets? I find that hard to believe
                Agreed, I have trained with A LOT of other USPOs around the entire country and not one of them have said they do stuff like that. But then again, I do not know every district. If so, sounds like a great district to work for. I could have sworn I saw one district had a drug canine a couple of years ago. I think it was a district in Missouri.

Comment

• From reading a lot of previous posts it sounds like starting out in a pre-trial spot is more open to someone will less experience, lower degree, etc? Can anyone speak on this?

Comment

• Originally posted by Nola504 View Post
                    Exactly what I have been saying. I don't get some of these people. Probably, they want the glory of the badge without putting in he work.
                    I work for a Probation agency that allows me to carry, make arrests, do searches, etc to go into an agency that doesn't would be a change, not necessarily bad though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nola504 View Post
                      Agreed, I have trained with A LOT of other USPOs around the entire country and not one of them have said they do stuff like that. But then again, I do not know every district. If so, sounds like a great district to work for. I could have sworn I saw one district had a drug canine a couple of years ago. I think it was a district in Missouri.
                      Yes there are 1 or 2 districts with k9 units. Pretty crazy!
                      www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

• The fabled LE oriented districts are real, I am in one of them and love it! Take home cars are real too lol
                        Last edited by 80srock; 09-02-2016, 09:24 PM.

Comment

• This term "law enforcement" gets thrown around way too much when talking about probation. So much so that it eventually irritates me.

Let me break it down for everyone very simply, probation is it's own field. Law Enforcement is it's own field. The folks in law enforcement arrested the individual for breaking the "law". Therefore, they "enforced" the "law" and made an arrest. The person was afforded due process and had their day in court and was either found or pled guilty. At that point, "probation" may have stepped in to assist with a pre-sentence investigation. Otherwise, "probation" waited for the judge to impose a term of supervision which is within their line of work. While under supervision, the "probation officer" enforces rules, regulations, and conditions of the judge's sentence. That's what "probation officers" do, they enforce conditions of the sentence, in addition to pre-sentence investigations.

And let me be clear on the pre-sentence investigations, they are not criminal investigations. They are background investigations on steroids. There's a lot of research and application of sentencing guidelines. That's the reasone why those with law degrees are so highly sought these days, they are great at guideline application.

I don't care if handcuffs are issued, nor do I care about badges, and batons, and Tasers and so forth. Still doesn't qualify anyone as a "law enforcement" officer. They are just tools used for self-defense, not to protect the safety or life of the public, which is what "law enforcement" officers do every second that they are on duty.

So everyone stop with the same discussion about which districts are more LE oriented versus social work oriented. The dialogue doesn't make sense. Probation's main goal is to reduce recidivism. It's to change the way someone behaves. Again, it is it's own field with it's own mission. And before decides to copy and paste a definition of a USPO job vacancy announcement that reads "this is a judicial law-enforcement position", let me save you the time and energy. The districts write it up that way because it's a hazardous duty position and it has to be worded that way for retirement benefit purposes.

I worked in probation for more than a decade at a county level, then went on to parole at the state level. The two are very different, yet they are very similar. The main mission is still to change the behavior of the subject. Areas of state parole are very different in that it is more hands on with regards to arrests, surveillance, and where and how parolees are placed in violation facilities.

I've been with parole for a little over ten years. I've worked on the US Marshals Fugitive Task Force in addition to working with "law enforcement"'officials at every level. I've assisted them while they conducting in-depth investigations, which is a part of their "law enforcement" mission. I was not enforcing any local, state, or federal statutes. During other hours of the work day, I've performed motivational interviewing techniques. Never once did I consider myself a "law enforcement" officer.

So EVERYONE, stop with this back and forth talk about LE vs. social work.
                          Last edited by CJ511; 09-02-2016, 11:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 80srock View Post
                            The fabled LE oriented districts are real, I am in one of them and love it! Take home cars are real too lol
                            What district is that?

Comment

• Cubs shoot me a PM.

Comment

• CJ I see your point, fortunately for me my experience has been very different as a USPO. I can honestly say I do more as a USPO to protect the public than I ever did generating revenue writing tickets lol.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11032 users online. 402 members and 10630 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X