300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by etbz View Post
    Hello, I've been reviewing this thread and noticed that you have answered a lot of questions regarding the USPO position, are there any tips that you can provide me with for the interview? I get super nervous while interviewing. May 2016, I had an interview with US Pretrial Officer position and I blew the interview, I was nervous and did not do well. I want to be prepared for this interview but haven't interviewed for any job for over 6 years now, I don't want to mess up this opportunity since working for the government has been my goal for awhile now. Thank you.
    Everyone here will give you different answers due to different districts concentrating on certain things they want in new employees. Feel free to PM me and I will give you any advice I can.

Comment

• Can anyone explain to me the background investigation a bit? Will they schedule an in person interview? If so, what kind of questions will they ask?

Also, will my references and neighbors be contacted to speak?

How long does it usually take to complete?

I just want to get a basic understanding of the process.

Comment

• The background starts with a information packet you complete listing all the place you have lived and work for the past 10 years. They ask about drug use, criminal conviction ect. They may contact your neighbors and friends, unless your planning to take over the government, a criminal or a drug user you will do fine.

I've been in Federal probation in the Midwest for 8 years, feel free to PM if you have more questions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Potentialnj View Post
          Can anyone explain to me the background investigation a bit? Will they schedule an in person interview? If so, what kind of questions will they ask?

For more information, go to page 15, post #365 - #372 of this forum, some good info there. Good luck with the process.

Comment

• Originally posted by Potentialnj View Post
            Can anyone explain to me the background investigation a bit? Will they schedule an in person interview? If so, what kind of questions will they ask?

Just as an additional FYI- you will be conditionally hired and remain provisional until your background is complete. There are some in my district that have been on for a year and are still provisional employees because OPM is so behind

Comment

• I am currently a PO in AZ, I have about two years experience. I am looking to go federal at some point and have heard "its the way to go" for a career in probation. I would like to stay in AZ/NV/CA area because its my understanding they are much more LE oriented. In addition I have a specialized case load, am a MRT facilitator, and have been EPICS certified. That is the good, now the bad....I have a misdemeanor on my record from 2006, my credit is not in the best shape, and I only have a Bachelors. I know the misdemeanor will probably be frowned upon at the federal level regardless of what part of the country so should I still apply? Does anyone know any agencies that are more lenient towards credit and past convictions? Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Comment

• Show that you are paying on your credit accounts and as long as the misdemeanor isn't domestic violence you stand a chance. The nice thing about probation is they aren't required to go by an adjudication manual like other agencies. The Chief Judge in that district along with your Chief PO makes the decision. Make sure you tell them everything up front. Also remember that if one district doesn't hire you that doesn't mean another won't. Every district has their own standards and it basically comes down to the Chief PO and Chief Judge.

Comment

• Thank you so much. Do you know if NV and AZ are more LE oriented, or any other areas are for that matter?

Comment

• People, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE understand that federal probation is the same as a police officer, federal agent, or straight up LE agency. YOU ARE NOT. Do not be fooled by the fact that you have a gun and badge (and other tools, depending on the district) that you are going to have a personal take home care with police lights, serving warrants, arresting ANYONE (you will not). Some districts have handcuffs and some do not. Some have search teams and some do not. My district has had one for about 6 years and has been used two times with nothing exciting AT ALL. I hate to sound negative but I have been in this job on the federal level for over 4 1/2 years and more at the county level. You are nothing more than a counselor/change agent or whatever you want to call it. Do not get me wrong it is a great job and the benefits are awesome.

You will be trained in ORT/DT (same thing), firearms (if you choose). The academy is not a traditional LE academy in the least. No there is no running, push ups or any PT of any kind. The only time your heart rate gets up is your final test in ORT. No one cares about how your facial hair looks. It is a college atmosphere with cool dorm rooms. You can literally drink every night and get through the six weeks with no problem. If you want to be a cop, then apply to police agencies. Yes there have been people who got hired on to your ABC Fed LEO agencies (yes I personally worked with them and are still in contact with them). Pleas understand what you are getting yourself into when applying for this job. ALL the districts have different policies from one another so it is impossible to answer every question as it pertains to this job. Good luck.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cubs4life View Post
                      Thank you so much. Do you know if NV and AZ are more LE oriented, or any other areas are for that matter?
                      Not sure, but I have friends in the District of Arizona and they love it. Lots of good benefits there that my district does not offer.

Originally posted by Nola504 View Post
                      People, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE understand that federal probation is the same as a police officer, federal agent, or straight up LE agency. YOU ARE NOT. Do not be fooled by the fact that you have a gun and badge (and other tools, depending on the district) that you are going to have a personal take home care with police lights, serving warrants, arresting ANYONE (you will not). Some districts have handcuffs and some do not. Some have search teams and some do not. My district has had one for about 6 years and has been used two times with nothing exciting AT ALL. I hate to sound negative but I have been in this job on the federal level for over 4 1/2 years and more at the county level. You are nothing more than a counselor/change agent or whatever you want to call it. Do not get me wrong it is a great job and the benefits are awesome.

You will be trained in ORT/DT (same thing), firearms (if you choose). The academy is not a traditional LE academy in the least. No there is no running, push ups or any PT of any kind. The only time your heart rate gets up is your final test in ORT. No one cares about how your facial hair looks. It is a college atmosphere with cool dorm rooms. You can literally drink every night and get through the six weeks with no problem. If you want to be a cop, then apply to police agencies. Yes there have been people who got hired on to your ABC Fed LEO agencies (yes I personally worked with them and are still in contact with them). Pleas understand what you are getting yourself into when applying for this job. ALL the districts have different policies from one another so it is impossible to answer every question as it pertains to this job. Good luck.

^ All true.
                      www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

• Originally posted by brownj21 View Post
                        Not sure, but I have friends in the District of Arizona and they love it. Lots of good benefits there that my district does not offer.

^ All true.

That is a great write up and I'd estimate that's pretty spot on for the majority of the Country. However, it all depends on the District (I know... blah blah blah). Yes, the Marshals will be serving your warrants. However, this District is very pro LE. Search teams who actually search, fancy vests that say Federal Officer, FA and ORT teams that are well funded and taken very seriously. We conduct NLTA and MILO training days and put on an annual Gracie Survival Tactics training that draws 60 participants from across the country.

My best guess right now, my position is 50% LE (investigations, field work, SPEAR/GST/ORT/FA training's, etc.), 30% Social Work (setting up counseling, job services, facilitating MRT, etc.), 20% Clerical/Data Entry ()

I have friends in the Midwest who are required to be armed at all times while working at the Courthouse. Literally, while they're sitting at their desks... Crazy!

Comment

• [QUOTE=PSOSAC;3932505]That is a great write up and I'd estimate that's pretty spot on for the majority of the Country. However, it all depends on the District (I know... blah blah blah). Yes, the Marshals will be serving your warrants. However, this District is very pro LE. Search teams who actually search, fancy vests that say Federal Officer, FA and ORT teams that are well funded and taken very seriously. We conduct NLTA and MILO training days and put on an annual Gracie Survival Tactics training that draws 60 participants from across the country.

Agree, while some districts appear to be more social work oriented others like mine are very LE oriented. Some districts also issue take home cars, mine does. I am a former police officer and we do everything I did at the PD except write tickets. I just finished a multi-state investigation with multiple other federal agencies. I get paid more, get more time off, get to work from home, can flex my hours, and work very few midnight shifts.

Comment

• Originally posted by PSOSAC View Post
                            That is a great write up and I'd estimate that's pretty spot on for the majority of the Country. However, it all depends on the District (I know... blah blah blah). Yes, the Marshals will be serving your warrants. However, this District is very pro LE. Search teams who actually search, fancy vests that say Federal Officer, FA and ORT teams that are well funded and taken very seriously. We conduct NLTA and MILO training days and put on an annual Gracie Survival Tactics training that draws 60 participants from across the country.

My best guess right now, my position is 50% LE (investigations, field work, SPEAR/GST/ORT/FA training's, etc.), 30% Social Work (setting up counseling, job services, facilitating MRT, etc.), 20% Clerical/Data Entry ()

I have friends in the Midwest who are required to be armed at all times while working at the Courthouse. Literally, while they're sitting at their desks... Crazy!
                            This was my understanding as well that AZ and NV districts are much more LE oriented. I have no issues with searching, having gear, and assisting other agencies with investigations as I do now. What is Spears and gst?

Comment

• [QUOTE=80srock;3932756]
                              Originally posted by PSOSAC View Post

Agree, while some districts appear to be more social work oriented others like mine are very LE oriented. Some districts also issue take home cars, mine does. I am a former police officer and we do everything I did at the PD except write tickets. I just finished a multi-state investigation with multiple other federal agencies. I get paid more, get more time off, get to work from home, can flex my hours, and work very few midnight shifts.
                              If you don't mind sharing, whst district you work with? Can you talk more about flex time? Is the schedule pretty open for you as long as you get your 40 hours? Any OT? What is the PTO rate?

Comment

• Originally posted by 80srock View Post

Everything you did as a police officer except write tickets? I find that hard to believe

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4254 users online. 163 members and 4091 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X