300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by stillsearching View Post
    I recently received a call to interview for a district in Florida. Anyone have any info on what to expect? Any insight would be appreciated.
    As I have stated many times in this thread, every district is different, often extremely different.
    At a minimum, I would educate myself on that district and US Probation in general in case they ask "what do you know about us?" also it may inspire some questions that you could ask that would 1) give you more desired info and 2) let them know that you have looked into their district to some extent.
    www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

• How do current federal employees feel about the medical offerings? About how much is taken out per paycheck for a family?

Comment

• https://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insur...rmation/plans/

Comment

• Yeah, I've seen this, I was just hoping for a little more personal experience, anecdotes, or opinions, from current employees.

Comment

• Originally posted by Potentialnj View Post
            Yeah, I've seen this, I was just hoping for a little more personal experience, anecdotes, or opinions, from current employees.
            A bit too complicated to discuss in detail, because there are several offerings for health, dental, and vision insurance to choose from. All with very different levels of coverage and different premiums. Some fairly expensive options that have great coverage. Some that have high deductibles and some with minimal coverage. There is a good selection to fit most officers needs. Many options officers have probably never tried.

I'll give you my anecdotal evidence. I find the health insurance to be far superior to anything I was offered at county and state jobs in the past. Coverage is much better. That's the end of it. I do pay higher premiums, but I think it has worked in my favor when insurance is used. I'm very happy in this area.

The dental and vision? Meh. About the same as others I've used in the past. Not particularly great, certainly not awful. Premiums are fairly cheap though.

Comment

• In my district it was a big deal
              Last edited by LadyKiller; 06-21-2016, 09:08 PM.

Comment

• Chiefs have discretion on the number of step increases throughout your career. The default is the norm and the majority of Chiefs follow the default. Two steps every 6 months until you reach step 25, then it's default one step annually. You'll have to do the math on how long you'll be getting nice raises every 6 months.

FYI - I have been fortunate enough to receive additional/unexpected step increases.

Comment

• So it can take 6 years to get out of the development range?

Comment

• Originally posted by LadyKiller View Post
                    So it can take 6 years to get out of the development range?
                    I had been on 7 years (granted 2.5 as a POA) and I was only about half way through the developmental range. There was also the issue of the freeze on step increases that they didn't provide retroactively.

Comment

• What are the steps looking like after the developmental period?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by LadyKiller View Post
                        Since no one can seem to answer my question in house I thought I'd ask you all. Does anyone know on average how long it takes to get out of the developmental range at CL28 into the full performance range at CL 28 step 25?
                        Originally posted by LadyKiller View Post
                        So it can take 6 years to get out of the development range?
                        Unfortunately, once again....it depends on your district. I have heard of some districts giving enough steps to get their line officers to full performance (out of developmental range) in 2 years. Other districts, it's 6 to 7 years, unless you receive multiple "exceeds" on your evaluations.
                        It's crazy and potentially very frustrating how differently districts can be with pay, policy, progression and so on. Ask ask ask as many questions as you can think of before signing up. Seriously... Ask!
                        Ask about comp time, Telework, flex time, take home cars, dress code, firearms policies, and so on. All of those things I named above and much more varies from district to district.
                        www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

• Hello Everyone,

Does anyone know of any rules or regulations in Federal Probation regarding facial hair? Does the academy require you to shave your head and/or mustache/beard?

Thank You!

Comment

• Originally posted by Moe_Sha View Post
                            Hello Everyone,

Does anyone know of any rules or regulations in Federal Probation regarding facial hair? Does the academy require you to shave your head and/or mustache/beard?

Thank You!
                            The academy does not require you to shave your head bald, mustache or beard. You just have to keep it neat and professional. I just finished the academy, many including myself had a full beard.

As far as the district you are applying to, find out what the culture is like and if there is a policy in place.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moe_Sha View Post
                              Hello Everyone,

Thank You!

No, like the person above me said, just keep it clean and somewhat professional. I would be surprised if anyone ever had anything said to them in the academy about facial hair. It's very "college" atmosphere as opposed to paramilitary.
                              www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

• Thank you for your response!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11065 users online. 443 members and 10622 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X