300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LadyKiller View Post
    How long does it take you to get to CL28 now if you come in at CL25?
    Check out pg 13 of this forum .... this is a weird pay scale compare to the GS scale

Comment

• I was hired on as a 27 (equivalent to GS-11) and promoted to 28 (equivalent of GS-12) within a year. Promotions to 29 are competitive. I think our newer officers are being hired in below 27, not sure where though. New pay scale definitely blows. HOWEVER, in my opinion the work life balance is more important than the extra $50 per paycheck.

Comment

• Does U.S. Probation have an interchange agreement with OPM?

Comment

• I started as a CL 25 because I started as a POA. After a couple years was promoted to a line officer and left on a CL 28 scale. Still wasn't out of the developmental range. New job matched base pay which was equivalent to a GL 9/10. With 25% leap, I basically and getting $800ish more per pay peroid. Around $18k annually. It's a choice each family has to make. I am moving several states away. Probation doesn't force moves and your days are more predictable. If I had kids, my thought process would probably be different. Just hope those higher up realize why young officers are leaving. Lots of turnover isn't good for the agency.

The good thing is districts have more discretion about where you start out at. Some have standard across the board starting pay and some start out depending on education and experience.
          Last edited by dsb05c; 02-26-2016, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Does U.S. Probation have an interchange agreement with OPM?
            I'm not positive but I think the answer is no.

Comment

• 2 openings for US Probation in Savannah, GA.
              PM me for details if interested
              This is not posted on usajobs, which is why I am asking folks to PM me.
              Last edited by brownj21; 03-04-2016, 06:00 PM.
              www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

• Originally posted by JD2Fed View Post
                I work in a pretty large office and I'd say at least 10 officers have JDs. Pay isn't great but it isn't horrible either. No LEAP sucks but the trade off is comp time which makes my job unbelievably flexible. I will never have to worry about missing my kids activities or whether or not I can take sick/annual leave. If you are looking for fed law enforcement but want a quality work/personal life balance it doesn't get any better than USPO.
                Originally posted by holycrikey View Post
                I'll chime in to agree here. We don't get LEAP, which means we very well may be missing out on a chunk of pay that many other agencies get. But the comp time means I work pretty much whatever hours I want. US Probation overall is extremely family friendly, if that is important to you. I can telework weird hours if a family member has a sickness, which means I don't dive into my own sick or annual leave. My supervisor never questions when I put in leave requests unless it interferes with something major. I can work nights if I want, split shifts, weekends, or just stick with a Mon-Fri 8 to 5. My district stresses work/life balance and we even have meetings and discussions on how to maximize our family time. Maybe a little huggy-feely for some, but it is incredible if you have a family or other things going on in your life.
                Originally posted by LadyKiller View Post
                When I was 21 years old I would have told you f the hours its all about the pay and kicking in doors. Now at 37 with kids its definitely about the hours! That schedule sounds amazing and I would trade LEAP pay for that any day! Do all the districts operate in the same manner?
                No, they all do not operate that way. I stated this earlier,try to learn all that you can about the district for which you are applying. There are often DRASTIC differences in policy regarding comp time, flex time, telework, dress attire, etc.
                Last edited by brownj21; 03-04-2016, 07:01 AM.
                www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

• Originally posted by JD2Fed View Post
                  I'm not positive but I think the answer is no.
                  So you can't apply as a status candidate to other federal level jobs, or be non competitively converted to those jobs, if you choose to leave at some point?

Comment

So you can't apply as a status candidate to other federal level jobs, or be non competitively converted to those jobs, if you choose to leave at some point?
                    Only if you held a competieve (not expected) position for more than 90 days.

"Status candidates” refers to those individuals who are current or former Federal civilian employees who hold or held non-temporary appointments in the competitive service, not the excepted service. When a vacancy announcement indicates that status candidates are eligible to apply, Federal government employees who have served at least 90 days after competitive appointment may apply" (From OPM.Gov)

Comment

• Seems every district is different, including the hiring process and requirements. (Some require a graduate degree, some are fine with an undergraduate)

Is this writing assessment normal across the board and what does it entail?

Comment

• Anyone going through the hiring process right now? If so what district?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• I have two interviews in different districts in the next 6 days. One required me to take a test before and the other did not. I will let you know if I get pass interviews.

Comment

• Good Luck Pragmatic1920!

Anyone apply to the Western District of New York during the last announcement hear anything yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by Head'nSouth View Post
                              Good Luck Pragmatic1920!

Anyone apply to the Western District of New York during the last announcement hear anything yet?
                              Thanks!

Comment

• Anyone hear anything from EDNY?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9274 users online. 430 members and 8844 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X