300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by stillsearching View Post
    Any insight on any district would be great. Looks like there are postings for middle and southern currently.
    Many I know from Southern came in with a Masters and years of experience in their discipline (i.e. Social work, business, Probation, etc). Also language skills is a big plus (desired, but not required), tons of immigration cases.

Although it's very competitive, I would still apply, many officers are approaching mandatory retirement.

Comment

• Originally posted by stillsearching View Post
      Do you mind if I pm you?
      Not at all but I won't say what district I'm at.

Comment

• I have a test scheduled tomorrow for the eastern district of New York, any ideas on what I should expect? What does the test consist of or even what the process for becoming a probation officer is?

Comment

• Anyone on this thread that has any knowledge of the Middle District of Georgia and the Western District of New York?

Comment

• Originally posted by nevergiveup725 View Post
            Masters, wow!!!!

You would think the pay would be better if they are pushing for people with masters degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Believe it or not, many are hired with JDs. Keep in mind USPOs work for United States Judges

The pay is pretty good for a law enforcement position (although other fedleo may receive LEAP or some form of OT)... At the end of the day its Public service, won't get rich doing this.

Comment

• Originally posted by HMCN View Post
              Believe it or not, many are hired with JDs. Keep in mind USPOs work for United States Judges

The pay is pretty good for a law enforcement position (although other fedleo may receive LEAP or some form of OT)... At the end of the day its Public service, won't get rich doing this.
              I work in a pretty large office and I'd say at least 10 officers have JDs. Pay isn't great but it isn't horrible either. No LEAP sucks but the trade off is comp time which makes my job unbelievably flexible. I will never have to worry about missing my kids activities or whether or not I can take sick/annual leave. If you are looking for fed law enforcement but want a quality work/personal life balance it doesn't get any better than USPO.

Comment

• Originally posted by HMCN View Post

IN my district you will not promote unless you have a masters degree....

Comment

• Originally posted by JD2Fed View Post
                  I work in a pretty large office and I'd say at least 10 officers have JDs. Pay isn't great but it isn't horrible either. No LEAP sucks but the trade off is comp time which makes my job unbelievably flexible. I will never have to worry about missing my kids activities or whether or not I can take sick/annual leave. If you are looking for fed law enforcement but want a quality work/personal life balance it doesn't get any better than USPO.
                  I'll chime in to agree here. We don't get LEAP, which means we very well may be missing out on a chunk of pay that many other agencies get. But the comp time means I work pretty much whatever hours I want. US Probation overall is extremely family friendly, if that is important to you. I can telework weird hours if a family member has a sickness, which means I don't dive into my own sick or annual leave. My supervisor never questions when I put in leave requests unless it interferes with something major. I can work nights if I want, split shifts, weekends, or just stick with a Mon-Fri 8 to 5. My district stresses work/life balance and we even have meetings and discussions on how to maximize our family time. Maybe a little huggy-feely for some, but it is incredible if you have a family or other things going on in your life.

Comment

• Originally posted by holycrikey View Post
                    I'll chime in to agree here. We don't get LEAP, which means we very well may be missing out on a chunk of pay that many other agencies get. But the comp time means I work pretty much whatever hours I want. US Probation overall is extremely family friendly, if that is important to you. I can telework weird hours if a family member has a sickness, which means I don't dive into my own sick or annual leave. My supervisor never questions when I put in leave requests unless it interferes with something major. I can work nights if I want, split shifts, weekends, or just stick with a Mon-Fri 8 to 5. My district stresses work/life balance and we even have meetings and discussions on how to maximize our family time. Maybe a little huggy-feely for some, but it is incredible if you have a family or other things going on in your life.
                    When I was 21 years old I would have told you f the hours its all about the pay and kicking in doors. Now at 37 with kids its definitely about the hours! That schedule sounds amazing and I would trade LEAP pay for that any day! Do all the districts operate in the same manner?

Comment

• I'll agree to disagree. I just left probation for a gig that has LEAP. The new pay scale that changed a few years ago was a moral killer for the new people that had to already have a masters to get in. Student loan debt and the pay system don't help much. And when they want you to work nights, weekends, and have you cell on 24/7 for electronic monitoring cases, it gets frustrating. I was fine with the job until I spent more time dealing with increasingly more paperwork and not as much time in the field.

Comment

• Totally agree with DSB and Crikey. The new pay scale is not good for new highers compared to the old scale. It will take me and the newbies a while before we catch up to the veterans who get paid very well. We will have to promote to supervisors to get paid what veterans make who have never been promoted who were on the old pay scale.

On the other hand the position is super flexible and you make your own hours basically. Perfect for family life. No OT is tough and everyone works over if you are doing a good job. 1811 gig looking better and better everyday when I see all the paperwork I have lol.

Comment

• What was the old pay scale?

Comment

• How long does it take you to get to CL28 now if you come in at CL25?

Comment

• Quick question for any USPO's or anyone with knowledge. Do they really follow the pay grades in the announcement if you have the qualifications to start off at the CL27? I have four and a half years of experience as a PO and a Masters. Per most of the 20 something announcements that I have applied to over the past two months that is where I would fall on the pay scale. Is that reality or is it more likely that I would start off at the CL25?

I am willing to relocate but I can't move across the country for 40k........

Comment

• Originally posted by Head'nSouth View Post
                                Quick question for any USPO's or anyone with knowledge. Do they really follow the pay grades in the announcement if you have the qualifications to start off at the CL27? I have four and a half years of experience as a PO and a Masters. Per most of the 20 something announcements that I have applied to over the past two months that is where I would fall on the pay scale. Is that reality or is it more likely that I would start off at the CL25?

I am willing to relocate but I can't move across the country for 40k........
                                If you have years of experience (probation, investigations, etc.) and a Masters or above, Southern District of Florida starts @ CL 27, and may move to next grade with out competeing (as stated in the announcement) The announcement advertised CL 27 and the new officers started at CL 27.

Keep in mind cost of living is high in Miami

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5839 users online. 260 members and 5579 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X