Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Probation Officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by TopGun87 View Post
    @satxparoleofcr - Do US Probation Officers have the authority to carry weapons or make arrests. Do they serve on fugitive task force like some state PO's or is it primarily court-based with not that much action?

    Thanks,
    USPO's do field work but you won't be busting down doors or chasing anyone. The use of force policy is purely defensive when safe retreat is not an option. We carry weapons but most of our work is done in front of a computer. Good job but if you are more aligned with purely LE work I'd pursue a uniform position as you might get bored with US Probation.

    Comment


    • #32
      I'm also a current USPO and can second what brownj21 and GA12 are saying. They are spot on. Really understand that this is NOT your typical law enforcement career where you are very active in the streets. Probation across the board from the county, state, and local level, including federal have shifted toward a different mentality in handling offenders. The focus is more on rehabilitation and locking up offenders anymore. Overall, you are looked at as more of a social worker/counselor with a badge and gun with no real authority.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by GA12 View Post
        USPO's do field work but you won't be busting down doors or chasing anyone. The use of force policy is purely defensive when safe retreat is not an option. We carry weapons but most of our work is done in front of a computer. Good job but if you are more aligned with purely LE work I'd pursue a uniform position as you might get bored with US Probation.
        Originally posted by Nola504 View Post
        I'm also a current USPO and can second what brownj21 and GA12 are saying. They are spot on. Really understand that this is NOT your typical law enforcement career where you are very active in the streets. Probation across the board from the county, state, and local level, including federal have shifted toward a different mentality in handling offenders. The focus is more on rehabilitation and locking up offenders anymore. Overall, you are looked at as more of a social worker/counselor with a badge and gun with no real authority.
        Agreed 100%.
        www.ShankAZombie.com

        Comment


        • #34
          Figured I'd post in here. I recently accepted a USPO position, will start here in a few weeks. Anyone having questions can feel free to PM me anything related to applications/interviewing/etc. Obviously I don't know much of anything regarding the actual job duties yet.

          I come from state probation, btw.

          Comment


          • #35
            Did anyone apply to the Central District of California USPO position that was recently active? I took the written about 2 weeks ago, but haven't heard anything since then. Kind of concerned since it appears the process moves along fairly quickly.

            I have about 4 years of county level probation experience, a graduate degree, and prior military. Not sure if VA preference is even given, but at this point I'm thinking anything helps since these positions seem to be very competitive. Just wondering if anyone else has any insight regarding the hiring process at this district.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by holycrikey View Post
              Figured I'd post in here. I recently accepted a USPO position, will start here in a few weeks. Anyone having questions can feel free to PM me anything related to applications/interviewing/etc. Obviously I don't know much of anything regarding the actual job duties yet.

              I come from state probation, btw.
              Congrats. Charlotte?

              Originally posted by JV09 View Post
              Did anyone apply to the Central District of California USPO position that was recently active? I took the written about 2 weeks ago, but haven't heard anything since then. Kind of concerned since it appears the process moves along fairly quickly.

              I have about 4 years of county level probation experience, a graduate degree, and prior military. Not sure if VA preference is even given, but at this point I'm thinking anything helps since these positions seem to be very competitive. Just wondering if anyone else has any insight regarding the hiring process at this district.
              Having 4-8 years experience and a MS is the average USPO's credentials in my district. I don't think being a veteran matters either way. It can't hurt but in my whole district of 40 PO's there might be two veterans.

              Comment


              • #37
                Thanks for the response. Sounds like I was lucky enough to even make it to the written portion of the hiring process. I still haven't received the "Thanks, but no thanks" letter, so perhaps I'm still under consideration.

                Comment


                • #38
                  No news is good news, my friend. My process took about a year and a half and the wait was killing me. The job is highly competitive and I can also agree with GA12 on the typical experience and education level of the average USPO. Good luck.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Thanks, that's what I figured. I actually got a call to schedule an interview. Does anyone have any advice on how to best prepare for the interview?

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by satxparoleofcr View Post
                      No news is good news, my friend. My process took about a year and a half and the wait was killing me. The job is highly competitive and I can also agree with GA12 on the typical experience and education level of the average USPO. Good luck.
                      Wow, a year and a half for a USPO position? Thats pretty far out of the norm for my district.
                      I think from the job opening announcement until my first day on the job was like 3 or 4 months.
                      www.ShankAZombie.com

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        I feel under an unusual set of circumstances a few years back, being offered the job followed by a notice that the AO was enacting a hiring freeze. I was placed on hold for quite some time but eventually made it on board. Without the hiring freeze, my process would have taken about 4-5 months.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          JV09, feel free to shoot me a PM

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            satxparoleofcr, I sent you a PM

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by JV09 View Post
                              Thanks, that's what I figured. I actually got a call to schedule an interview. Does anyone have any advice on how to best prepare for the interview?
                              Since I just recently finished up the interview and am starting in about two weeks, I'm going to send you a PM with what my interview process was. Listen to what others have said as well. By what I've learned, each district does their hiring and interviewing a bit differently. Expect just about anything.

                              Edit: Looks like I can't send you a PM. Toss me an email address to use.
                              Last edited by holycrikey; 02-06-2014, 03:52 PM.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Does anyone have any information on Investigator positions with The Federal Public Defender’s Office? Are they sworn or just investigative in nature?

                                Duties include identifying, locating, & interviewing witnesses; gathering, analyzing, & summarizing case-related reports & records; serving subpoenas; photographing & sketching crime scenes; writing comprehensive reports; assisting with trial & evidentiary hearing preparation; testifying in court; & other duties as needed.
                                The only easy day was yesterday. - BUDS Instructor

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 10237 users online. 329 members and 9908 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X