300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by satxparoleofcr View Post
    I would probably say the USMS takes care of the warrants. Where I'm at, there's no executing warrants and it's all left to the USM. The places mentioned seem to be heavy on the search and seizure.
    That brings me to another question: what is your policy (if you are able to disclose it) on situations where you are conducting a routine home visit on an offender and happen to see something illegal in the house, say drugs or weapons? Are you provided with handcuffs to temporarily detain the person until local law enforcement can assist? A federal PO told me years ago that she did not carry cuffs, and if a situation like that were to occur she was told by management to stay calm, act like she didn't see anything, leave the residence, and then contact the police immediately.

Comment

• Probation can confiscate contraband but are told not to do so at the risk of officer safety. We were only carrying handcuffs on searches in my district when I left and only as a detention device for officer safety...Not to effect arrests.

Comment

• I am from a pretty good mixed LEO/Social Work district. We give everyone the chance to succeed but when they prove being out in the community is too risky we pull the trigger fast.

As for the LEO side, we have a pretty active SRT with a canine, we have surveillance teams and also active/passive GPS vehicle tracking, we have a robust officer safety program split into separate defensive tactics and firearms programs, we have a forensics lab, we work on local task forces, we use GPS ankle monitors, we polygraph etc. We carry firearms, OC spray, and handcuffs. Cuffs are mainly for officer safety but we arrest based upon what's found in searches often. We confiscate contraband in plain view in residences if the officer feels comfortable doing so. We do not have officers detailed to USMS for fugitive tracking.

As for the social work side, we invest heavily in treatment services and subsidize probably 90% of the costs. We frequently send drug users to inpatient treatment and work with sober houses upon discharge. We run in house counseling programs. We have an employment and education program. We use second chance act funds extremely liberally. We have various "court" programs designed to assist specific populations that are struggling (think Drug Court). We have a day report program. We have a program on financial responsibility and another that walks the individual through the home purchasing process.

Overall if you are looking for LEO style jobs just understand Fed P/P is more about creating lasting change in an individual's life instead of locking them up.

Comment

• Sounds like an awesome districts to work in with a varying degree of areas of specialization. Would you mind sharing which district? Are these functions standard among all districts?

Comment

• Originally posted by JD2Fed View Post
            I am from a pretty good mixed LEO/Social Work district. We give everyone the chance to succeed but when they prove being out in the community is too risky we pull the trigger fast.

As for the LEO side, we have a pretty active SRT with a canine, we have surveillance teams and also active/passive GPS vehicle tracking, we have a robust officer safety program split into separate defensive tactics and firearms programs, we have a forensics lab, we work on local task forces, we use GPS ankle monitors, we polygraph etc. We carry firearms, OC spray, and handcuffs. Cuffs are mainly for officer safety but we arrest based upon what's found in searches often. We confiscate contraband in plain view in residences if the officer feels comfortable doing so. We do not have officers detailed to USMS for fugitive tracking.

As for the social work side, we invest heavily in treatment services and subsidize probably 90% of the costs. We frequently send drug users to inpatient treatment and work with sober houses upon discharge. We run in house counseling programs. We have an employment and education program. We use second chance act funds extremely liberally. We have various "court" programs designed to assist specific populations that are struggling (think Drug Court). We have a day report program. We have a program on financial responsibility and another that walks the individual through the home purchasing process.

Overall if you are looking for LEO style jobs just understand Fed P/P is more about creating lasting change in an individual's life instead of locking them up.
            Could you send me a PM? Have a questions for you on the district...thanks.

Comment

• How would you say the job security is? I know it is an at will position, with no civil service protection, but there can still be decent job security. Has anyone noticed firing for "no reason" in their districts. Someone earlier in the thread said they were told they could be fired for wearing the wrong color tie to court. I wonder if this was true or just some sort of scare tactic.

Comment

• Originally posted by rockcrete88 View Post
                How would you say the job security is? I know it is an at will position, with no civil service protection, but there can still be decent job security. Has anyone noticed firing for "no reason" in their districts. Someone earlier in the thread said they were told they could be fired for wearing the wrong color tie to court. I wonder if this was true or just some sort of scare tactic.
                Scare tactic - never heard of anyone being fired who didn't deserve it.

Comment

• I just started as a USPO; however, in my District many officers have been there for years, some close to 18 years. I was told, if you make mistakes own up to it and just do the job you're paid to do.

I was in the fed civil service for years and saw many use civil service protection as an excuse to be lazy or act up (mainly the bad apples in the org.)

Comment

• I'd rather not say what district I am from. I don't mind answering PMs but I'm not sure how to turn them on. Help plz?

Comment

• JD2FED,
                      Go to My Settings, then look for My Account, under General Settings, scroll down and there will be a selection to "Turn On" Private Messaging.

Comment

• Thanks PMs now turned on for anyone who wants to message.

Comment

Last edited by rockcrete88; 02-09-2016, 11:53 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rockcrete88 View Post
                            How detailed do I really need to be on the medical form? About 7 years ago I went to a Dr. twice for some mild anxiety. He tried to give me a bunch of drugs, and after the second appointment I realized I didn't really have any problems and never went back. I'd hardly classify it as a mental condition or counseling. This was such a minor event, my first inclination is to not even include it, however I'd hate for it to pop up somehow and look like I was hiding something.

Can anyone's experience give me some advice?
                            I promise I'm trying to be helpful... However, I'm pretty sure your post indicates you are in fact trying to hide something. Read the questions on the form carefully, answer them honestly, and be prepared to provide follow up documents and or see a doctor. In your case, it sounds like your diagnosis substantiated the need for the "bunch" of medication you were prescribed. The doctor was going to continue to provide care; however, you "never went back."

I'd get ahead of the game and scheduled to see a psychiatrist immediately. If you are in fact good to go - Have them clear you in a clearly written letter on their fancy letterhead and submit that with the forms. That's what I did for an injury that I previously had surgery for. That way, the doctors at the AO see you are being honest about it and you've had a medical professional make a determination on the matter.

This is a very coveted federal law enforcement job. You will be given a shiny gold badge and a gun. You're temperament will be tested frequently, especially in the event you are assigned to the field.

Be honest!

Best of luck.

Comment

• Couldn't agree more PSOSAC.

Comment

• Just an update guys, I got the job!!!!! So excited! I start in a week!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10531 users online. 532 members and 9999 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X