Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guam is one district that does not carry. I think they have everything ready for them to start a firearms program. Just have to get the chief judge to agree. Massachusetts might be another. More and more districts are allowing officers the option to carry on duty.

Comment

• Thanks!! Appreciate the info.

Comment

• Anyone have any info on SDNY? Hiring process? I took their test a while ago and received a call that I passed. They scheduled an interview for sometime next month. Best job in the world? I understand everyone has stressed the fact that each district lives by their own rules. Anyone with specific info on this district? 2 round interviews, next academy, G-ride, carry, task force, interaction with judges/defense attorneys, prosecutors, probationers?

Comment

• FraudBustah, how did the interview go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Question regarding an application for Probation Officer. I am considering applying for a position; but after reading the announcement, I am not sure I qualify. I have six years in the military, B.A, M.S, and J.D, and legal work experience with a state agency. Thoughts?

Comment

• Originally posted by ca_vet View Post
              Question regarding an application for Probation Officer. I am considering applying for a position; but after reading the announcement, I am not sure I qualify. I have six years in the military, B.A, M.S, and J.D, and legal work experience with a state agency. Thoughts?
              Oddly enough, considering what info you've provided, it doesn't appear you'd meet the minimum qualifications because, "A minimum of two years of progressively responsible casework experience in the investigation or supervision of offenders as a probation, parole or pre-trial services officer is required."

HOWEVER, given your J.D., I'd bet more the a few chiefs would give you a shot at an interview. Just my .02 cents. Good luck.

Comment

• Originally posted by PSOSAC View Post
                Oddly enough, considering what info you've provided, it doesn't appear you'd meet the minimum qualifications because, "A minimum of two years of progressively responsible casework experience in the investigation or supervision of offenders as a probation, parole or pre-trial services officer is required."

HOWEVER, given your J.D., I'd bet more the a few chiefs would give you a shot at an interview. Just my .02 cents. Good luck.
                I agree. Although, I'll say that my district just hired two people with no previous probation/caseload experience. I think the "minimum 2 year" statement can be pretty flexible district to district. Especially if the district is bifurcated, with court services/pre-trial being separate from supervision. My district appears willing to hire individuals with no probation/supervision/caseload experience if they're going into court services, as caseload experience there ins't as big of a deal as it would in a supervision role.

As with everything in federal probation, districts do their own thing all the time. We should probably have a sticky on the first page of this thread that says, "We probably can't answer your question. 94 districts doing things however they want to" haha.

Comment

• Originally posted by holycrikey View Post
                  As with everything in federal probation, districts do their own thing all the time. We should probably have a sticky on the first page of this thread that says, "We probably can't answer your question. 94 districts doing things however they want to" haha.
                  Thank you!! I've been getting a steady stream of PMs with questions about hiring practices in various districts, what's on an applicant exam, and how long is the hiring process. 99% of the time, I can't answer the question, except in a very general manner, since I have no clue how other places hire. My hiring process was completely different for folks that came in after me. There's no standard across the country and even within our own judicial districts. I agree with PSOSAC and Crikey that the potential applicant with a J.D. should definitely apply. I went to FLETC with a gal who has a law degree and got hired on with no prior probation/parole experience. Give it a shot and you never know, you can't win if you don't play.

Comment

• Hey guys, I'm currently a state Probation/Parole Officer looking to go federal asap!

I was wondering if you guys could offer some insight on Pre-trial Officer vs Probation Officer. I have been reading the U.S. Courts website and looking at the jobs. I know what the print says, but perhaps holycrikey, satxparoleofcr, or someone else working on the federal level could shed some light on the extra duties/down sides of each job the posting does not list.

I'm trying to decide which way to go: Stay with direct supervision of offenders or try Pre-trial.

Comment

• It depends on the district that you are going to. Some smaller districts do everything ie. Bond Reports, Pretrial supervision, Presentence Reports, and Post Conviction Supervision. Some districts are split (like mine) and Pretrial only deals with that. Pretrial supervision is focused on maintaining compliance with courts bond order and making sure they show up to court. Some have pre-trial diversion for low risk cases. Post Conviction supervision is longer terms of supervision and more in depth. We don't just make sure they don't violate that J&C. We try to implement change. Pretrial has a different mission that post conviction and I didn't really realize it until I went to FLETC and spoke with pretrial officers.

Comment

• Originally posted by dsb05c View Post
                        It depends on the district that you are going to. Some smaller districts do everything ie. Bond Reports, Pretrial supervision, Presentence Reports, and Post Conviction Supervision. Some districts are split (like mine) and Pretrial only deals with that. Pretrial supervision is focused on maintaining compliance with courts bond order and making sure they show up to court. Some have pre-trial diversion for low risk cases. Post Conviction supervision is longer terms of supervision and more in depth. We don't just make sure they don't violate that J&C. We try to implement change. Pretrial has a different mission that post conviction and I didn't really realize it until I went to FLETC and spoke with pretrial officers.
                        Thanks for the input! I should have included the places I was looking to apply for since it seems each district does its own thing.

I am looking at the eastern North Carolina district prefer Fayetteville, Wilmington, or Raleigh, but I would take Greenville, New Bern, or Jacksonville if the opportunity came along. Any specific info would be grand! Loving the job so far on the state side. I just want the Federal pay bump and too contribute to my TSP again, it has just been sitting since I left the Military sadly.

Comment

• Originally posted by dsb05c View Post
                          It depends on the district that you are going to. Some smaller districts do everything ie. Bond Reports, Pretrial supervision, Presentence Reports, and Post Conviction Supervision. Some districts are split (like mine) and Pretrial only deals with that. Pretrial supervision is focused on maintaining compliance with courts bond order and making sure they show up to court. Some have pre-trial diversion for low risk cases. Post Conviction supervision is longer terms of supervision and more in depth. We don't just make sure they don't violate that J&C. We try to implement change. Pretrial has a different mission that post conviction and I didn't really realize it until I went to FLETC and spoke with pretrial officers.

PTS is a different animal, especially if you're in a district that isn't combined, such as mine. I know folks that do PTS in combined districts and they supervise their pretrial cases like post-conviction cases. dsb05c is correct that PTS has a different mission than probation and that is largely based on the fact that our cases are still cloaked in the presumption of innocence. In PTS, you will write bail reports which can be very repetitious if that's all you do. PTS supervision is not as involved as post-conviction supervision and the push for evidenced based practices, but we do have location monitoring and sex offenders as well, and those can be challenging and time consuming. The district you're applying for is combined so the culture of PTS really depends on what district you work for. My opinion is that most don't really understand PTS but it is important and very fast paced, compared to post-conviction officers that can plan out a day and usually stick to their agenda. Good luck with the process and keep us updated.

Comment

• Originally posted by PSOSAC View Post

I'd have to agree with this. I am a current USPO and I was hired on fresh out of law school with no significant probation/parole/court services experience.

Comment

• Maybe I'm missing it, but is there a way for new listings to be e-mailed to me from the site; http://www.uscourts.gov/careers

Instead of checking it once a week.

Comment

• No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5419 users online. 275 members and 5144 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X