300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 20NOutLife View Post
    What does flex an hour mean? I'm trying to understand the concept. And you work 45-50hrs, get pay for 40 and the rest is in comp. Or no matter how much work u do, as long as it equal to 40hrs per week, then your fine. If I take the offered, can I make my own schedule to let say, work 4 10hrs days and having 3 days off. I work for my local dept so the whole concept of making up or flexing a schedule is very new to me. Thank you for all your insight in this topic thus far.
    I think you are asking a lot of district specific questions that can only be answered by officers in the district in which you applied. Just my $.02

Comment

• No overtime here. They have comp and flex time. I hardly use either unless working a weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by PSOSAC View Post
        I think you are asking a lot of district specific questions that can only be answered by officers in the district in which you applied. Just my $.02
        Thanks I think you're right, I was actually called back and finish with my background. But before they actually offered me the position, I want to collect some info so that I can see if it's worth leaving my current dept. They did explain to me about the caseload, take home vehicle and working from home, I didn't want to come out and ask, what are you guys paying me and can I get overtime etc. That would sound kind of unprofessional.

Comment

• Originally posted by 20NOutLife View Post
          Thanks I think you're right, I was actually called back and finish with my background. But before they actually offered me the position, I want to collect some info so that I can see if it's worth leaving my current dept. They did explain to me about the caseload, take home vehicle and working from home, I didn't want to come out and ask, what are you guys paying me and can I get overtime etc. That would sound kind of unprofessional.
          What is your current position? I think you'll find that USPO is a pretty well-paid position compared to most state or local agencies.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdg0044 View Post
            What is your current position? I think you'll find that USPO is a pretty well-paid position compared to most state or local agencies.
            I agree! I left my county gig 4 yrs ago and today I'm making $48k more a year. Yes, i was paid a ridiculously low salary at the county....

Comment

• No overtime pay in my district but they are liberal with schedule making and flex time. Couple days a month I'll come in at 1pm or 2pm and work till 10 or 11pm. Sometimes we come in on a Saturday and work 6 or 7 hours and then take a day off during the week. As long as you get your work done and are present in Court when required, the rest is pretty much up to you. We are expected to have our cell phones on us 24/7.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdg0044 View Post
                That's what I'm interested in, the quality of life and peace of mind. My salary now is roughly 108k But money isn't everything. The flexibility of scheduling is trully attractive. I'm an officer for my local correction dept. Even though I can retire at 40, that's still young, and I wouldn't mind working till 50. Another reason I wouldn't mind leaving for US probation. Thank you for your insight

Comment

• Sounds like you are going to take a MAJOR pay cut if you come to the feds. Just make sure you dont wait too long. Have to be sworn in by 37 or you turn into a pumpkin.

Comment

• Originally posted by PSOSAC View Post
                    Sounds like you are going to take a MAJOR pay cut if you come to the feds. Just make sure you dont wait too long. Have to be sworn in by 37 or you turn into a pumpkin.
                    Oh yeah. I forgot the age limit. hehe, if i wait till 37, might as well do the last 3yrs and retire at 40. =), Pay cut isnt a major concern because quality of life wins all the time. I'm just doing a cost comparison of health insurance, pension fees, prescription, etc.

Comment

• Anyone have any info on the eastern NC District? If so I would love to pm and talk

Comment

• Poa

I am starting a POA position in a couple of weeks. Does anyone know if there is any kind of training we are sent to?? Any advice for POA would be great (:

Comment

• Hello Everyone,

First I just want thank everyone who has commented on this thread in the past as it has been very informative. So my question is in regards to medical standards for Probation Officer Assistants. I recently have applied for a couple POA positions but I maybe wasting my time as I have a very mild form of cerebral palsy. I can still walk/run and do everything else however the CP has affected my balance. (Basically I can't balance using just my right foot.) It is my understanding that cerebral palsy is one of the possible disqualifying conditions. Please correct me if I am wrong but it is understanding that generally POA's do not attend FLETC and are not armed, so I am hoping there maybe so wiggle room.
                          So my basic question is this does anyone know if I will be required to stand on one leg during the medical exam to become a POA?

Thank you so much for your help in advance.

Also just a little bit of background on me: I have BA in Political Science and I am working on getting my masters. I currently work for the MA DOC as a clerk in medium security prison.

Comment

• Former POA here. POAs do not go to FLETC but do have their district trainings they may be required to attend.

Madoc, POAs do not carry firearms but do get high risk LE pay and retirement. Some POAs have contact with offenders and my district requires they participate in the safety program (mattroom and scenario). The district's HR would have more info on that. I will tell you, they delayed me twice to get medical follow ups for an abnormal ekg (enlarged heart) and possible (didn't have it) sleep apnea. But some districts may work with you depending on the type of position it is. If you are mostly writing reports and limited contact with offenders, it may not be an issue.

Comment

• Dsb05c,

Thank you so much for your response. I guess it is worth a shot, anyhow I will never know unless I try. Additionally I applied and have an interview on the 8th of this month for a Probation Services Clerk position in the US Probation Office for the District of MA. I realize that position is not a law enforcement position but hopefully it might make it easier to become a POA one day. Thank you so much again for your help.

Comment

• No problem. Yeah, getting a foot in the door would be a big help. Plus may let them feel easier promoting you to a poa if they have seen you work and know if the medical condition would be an issue. Good luck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10491 users online. 386 members and 10105 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X