Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's not the GL system and court payscale is different. As PSOSAC noted, pay is very much up to each district. I still don't know how I started at CL25 and now at a CL 28. Not sure when I changed over. I started as a POA and got bumped up to line officer 4 years ago. Chiefs can bring people in higher or lower. You can transfer and chief will can say we will take you but not at your current salary.

Comment

• Thanks, I meant the CL* scale in my previous post. I'm just trying to understand the pay structure, but it seems like it's up to the chief to choose the pay you start at. I just wanted to know if I start at CL 25 step 1. How long would it take for me to get to CL 28, I understand how the steps increases work, but not the grade increase. Without any chief discretion. Thanks
      Originally posted by dsb05c View Post
      It's not the GL system and court payscale is different. As PSOSAC noted, pay is very much up to each district. I still don't know how I started at CL25 and now at a CL 28. Not sure when I changed over. I started as a POA and got bumped up to line officer 4 years ago. Chiefs can bring people in higher or lower. You can transfer and chief will can say we will take you but not at your current salary.

Comment

• Yeah I honestly couldn't tell you. I just know that the developmental stage takes a lot longer to get out that it used to when they changed the payscales.

Comment

• Also one more question, It said that the US courts is considered an excepted service. Ive been researching it and maybe a USPO can clarify this. Is there a big difference between excepted service and competitive service beside the hiring process. Once a person finishes the probation period, are they offered the same civil services rights and protection as other federal employee or is it completely at the will of the district/chief. Just wondering what the job security is. Thank you

Comment

• Originally posted by 20NOutLife View Post
            PSOSAC,

Ok, I'm trying to understand this. If I was to get hired at the GL 25 step 1, after a year, I will be GL 26/1, then after another year, I will be GL27/1, then another year, I will be GL28/1. Then the default steps kicks in every 6 months while in developmental range and then every year at full performance range. And the journeyman level is GL28. This is without any chiefs influences or Quality Step Increase, etc. Just the normal progression period. Also, GL 25 and GL 26 is at law enforcement rates but GL 27- 28 is at normal pay? I just want to calculate what the salary will be like if I decide to take the job. Thank you very much for your help.
            You will be suubject to default two step increases every six months while in the developemental range in any classification level. When your sup or chief feels your work warrants it, you'll be promoted to the next level in the developemental range. Typically, every year until you reach 28.

Also, dont ask why, but we are paid on the non- leo CL scale...
            Last edited by PSOSAC; 05-05-2015, 01:21 AM.

Comment

• Rest in peace nypd officer Brian Moore #469

Comment

• Does uspo get overtime pay or is it leave the work till tomorrow scenario? I know that they can work at Home. Is it a suit and tie outfit everyday or is there uniforms? All the uspo I seen wore business attires. Thanks

Comment

• If office is at the courthouse, business attire. Satellite offices wear business casual. No overtime and some leave at 8 hours in the day and 40 at end of week. I don't though and have my cell 24/7 to respond to alerts on home detention cases. Some will flex off their time but again I dont. There is to much work and I like having peace of mind to work extra and get things done in time.

Comment

• Is the overtime non existing overall or only in certain district? (sorry about asking about overtime again. It's just overtime puts an extra 25% on my salary now)

Comment

• Originally posted by 20NOutLife View Post
                      Is the overtime non existing overall or only in certain district? (sorry about asking about overtime again. It's just overtime puts an extra 25% on my salary now)
                      It should be completely at the discretion of each district. I can tell you in my neck of the woods, overtime is impossible. You'll receive comp time that can be accrued up to 40 hours per year (my local policy). I have yet to encounter a district that looks in any way favorably towards overtime. Maybe some other districts can chime in.

Comment

• I have used comp time only once in my 6.5 years and it was one day for travel last fall when I traveled to and from FLETC. I may flex a few hours here or there but usually will only flex an hour for any 3 I work over. Usually end the week with 45-50 hours not including hours I work at home. But I have the flexibility to make my own schedule. People choose probation for the scheduling flexibility. Not because of the pay.

Comment

• Originally posted by dsb05c View Post
                          I have used comp time only once in my 6.5 years and it was one day for travel last fall when I traveled to and from FLETC. I may flex a few hours here or there but usually will only flex an hour for any 3 I work over. Usually end the week with 45-50 hours not including hours I work at home. But I have the flexibility to make my own schedule. People choose probation for the scheduling flexibility. Not because of the pay.
                          What does flex an hour mean? I'm trying to understand the concept. And you work 45-50hrs, get pay for 40 and the rest is in comp. Or no matter how much work u do, as long as it equal to 40hrs per week, then your fine. If I take the offered, can I make my own schedule to let say, work 4 10hrs days and having 3 days off. I work for my local dept so the whole concept of making up or flexing a schedule is very new to me. Thank you for all your insight in this topic thus far.

Comment

• Basically if I have 2 field days that run between 10-12 hours each day and work 2 regular 8 hour days, I will have between 6-8 hours extra. What I do if that is the case, is just take a couple hours off on Friday and only work till 3 or so. I will not build up hours throughout the week just to take off. Reason being, 1) I'm not allowed, and 2) The work is still there so it makes things a little more hectic than if I try to just balance 40 per week. I know some are able to only work 40 hours per week and staying relatively on task. I prefer to get ahead so I'm not stressing about deadlines. Also, I am a ORT (DT Instructor) and DFI (Firearms Instructor) so that is just extra work to plan and conduct training that takes away from regular duties. Our district does not allow to work 4 10 hour days even though we have requested it multiple times. Occasionally, you can request to work a weekend in order to take off a whole day the following week. But it has been stated before, no two district are alike. There are some district that largely let people work from home. I have one buddy that was told by SUSPO not to do field work after 5 pm. My district on the other hands wants to know why we are working past 5 and on weekends. Some SUSPOs in my district are much more strict when it comes to hours. All my SUSPOS have largely left me alone because I am never cheating them hours and work the evenings at least 6-8 times per month.

Comment

• Completely different in my district. We're required by policy to work some evening and weekend field hours. Also, I count every hour over 40 as comp time.

Comment

• In my district not a minute over 40 hrs is required. However, if you end up working over comp is given.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never heard of overtime being offered with the federal courts. I'm not even sure it exists...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8090 users online. 384 members and 7706 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X