Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw this job pop on the radar and recently threw my hat in the ring as well... Kind of like the fact that you have to put more effort to apply for this position by sending paperwork in to the district offices. For those who currently work for USPO... is this the type of gov job where you apply and just forget that you applied for it OR are they quick with processing applications?

Comment

Originally posted by ne.fitness View Post
      I saw this job pop on the radar and recently threw my hat in the ring as well... Kind of like the fact that you have to put more effort to apply for this position by sending paperwork in to the district offices. For those who currently work for USPO... is this the type of gov job where you apply and just forget that you applied for it OR are they quick with processing applications?
      It's a lot quicker than most federal hiring processes. From application date to hire you can expect roughly 5-6 months.

Comment

Hello all I been following this forum and Can anyone tell me whats the average case load for a USPO. I know case loads are outrageous for local PO's.

Comment

I don't know about other districts but I can say that it's been between 50-70 for me.
          Last edited by satxparoleofcr; 01-02-2014, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by satxparoleofcr View Post
            I don't know about other districts but I can say that it's been between 50-70 for me.
            About 50 give or take with some guys on pre-trial supervision

I actually had an easier time at the state level. I'm busier than hell at this job but I still like it a lot more.

Comment

Do certain districts make exceptions and accept police work as experience?

Comment

Hello All,
                I have been researching these positions for a couple of weeks now and I seen these are "at will" positions which makes me nervous. Can anyone tell me if this is something that is enforced or if you are coming from another position that is permanent you remain permanent?

Comment

@Albert

I also applied for this position. Have you heard anything?

Comment

Originally posted by NJturnedDC View Post
                    Hello All,
                    I have been researching these positions for a couple of weeks now and I seen these are "at will" positions which makes me nervous. Can anyone tell me if this is something that is enforced or if you are coming from another position that is permanent you remain permanent?
                    US Courts, FBI, CIA, Dept of State, NCIS, Secret Service, Air Marshals and a few others are excepted service agencies, which basically means they don't have to follow the Office of Personnel Management's rules in regards to hiring, termination, etc. They have their own rules.

It doesn't matter what position you are coming from, if you take a job with one of those agencies, you better cross your t's and dot your i's...if you know what I mean.

Comment

Thank you Hangman, I never realized so many agencies were under excepted service

Comment

Originally posted by satxparoleofcr View Post
                        I'm a current USPO. Feel free to PM me with any questions.
                        @satxparoleofcr - Do US Probation Officers have the authority to carry weapons or make arrests. Do they serve on fugitive task force like some state PO's or is it primarily court-based with not that much action?

Thanks,
                        The only easy day was yesterday. - BUDS Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by TopGun87 View Post
                          @satxparoleofcr - Do US Probation Officers have the authority to carry weapons or make arrests. Do they serve on fugitive task force like some state PO's or is it primarily court-based with not that much action?

Thanks,
                          I sent you a PM

Comment

I think it varies depending on what district. It's my understanding that some are more pro law enforcement, while others are more paper pushers? I could be completely off but just what I've heard from talking with a few officers.

Comment

I was under the impression that the US Marshals do the majority of the enforcement work for US Probation, but that Probation/Pre-trial Services Officers are considered federal LEOs

I have read that they receive some regular law enforcement training and attend FLETC. Do they have to qualify with firearms, and have badges/credentials? Are they issued weapons, or was it like the BOP, where you were only given a weapon from the armory if they saw fit, and in your personal time you carry your own private weapon?
                              What is Perseverance?
                              -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                              -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                              -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Originally posted by PaPPO View Post
                                I think it varies depending on what district. It's my understanding that some are more pro law enforcement, while others are more paper pushers? I could be completely off but just what I've heard from talking with a few officers.
                                This is pretty accurate. Everything varies by district.

Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
                                I was under the impression that the US Marshals do the majority of the enforcement work for US Probation, but that Probation/Pre-trial Services Officers are considered federal LEOs

I have read that they receive some regular law enforcement training and attend FLETC. Do they have to qualify with firearms, and have badges/credentials? Are they issued weapons, or was it like the BOP, where you were only given a weapon from the armory if they saw fit, and in your personal time you carry your own private weapon?
                                In many districts the US Marshals serve the warrants issued by USPOs. And yes, USPOs are considered federal law enforcement.
                                Yes, all officers attend FLETC (Charleston, not Glynco) and qualify with firearms and are issued badges, credentials.
                                Last edited by brownj21; 01-31-2014, 02:58 AM.
                                www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10918 users online. 342 members and 10576 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X