Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Probation Officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Follow up to the job I applied to in Shreveport, LA. I didn't get that job but they are posting another one soon. Meanwhile I am applying for the PO job in Tyler, Tx

    Comment


    • Originally posted by MiamiCanes View Post
      I want to say a big THANK YOU to holycrikey. This brother's wealth of knowledge on this thread has assisted me in many ways.
      Not a problem. Glad I could assist others that are interested in this field. I got a lot of help from others when I was applying too. Just spreading it onward.

      Comment


      • I was invited to take a test in Tyler, Tx. Anyone know what these test consist of?

        Thanks

        Comment


        • Originally posted by pragmatic1920 View Post
          I was invited to take a test in Tyler, Tx. Anyone know what these test consist of?

          Thanks
          Only officers from that district would know exactly, and they might be subject to NDA's. However, I would assume it is a writing test. Brush up on your spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc. Good luck!

          Comment


          • Thanks for the advice!

            Comment


            • While I don't know how the Eastern District of Texas testing is, the ones I've taken in the other Texas Districts were basic grammar, spelling, and reading comprehension. I'll be testing for the position in Tyler on Thursday as well.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by NeverReturnKid View Post
                While I don't know how the Eastern District of Texas testing is, the ones I've taken in the other Texas Districts were basic grammar, spelling, and reading comprehension. I'll be testing for the position in Tyler on Thursday as well.
                Good Luck!
                Last edited by pragmatic1920; 03-07-2015, 10:41 PM.

                Comment


                • I had some questions about workload. Somewhere near the beginning some current USPO's said they had about 50-70 cases. How often are you expected to meet with your offenders? Most of my current caseload I see weekly, some more often, some less. Are you doing monthly home visits on everyone? How big of a geographical area are you spread over? Do you generally have specialized caseloads?

                  Comment


                  • Also, brush up on evidence-based practices.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Go Banana View Post
                      I had some questions about workload. Somewhere near the beginning some current USPO's said they had about 50-70 cases. How often are you expected to meet with your offenders? Most of my current caseload I see weekly, some more often, some less. Are you doing monthly home visits on everyone? How big of a geographical area are you spread over? Do you generally have specialized caseloads?
                      Contact standards are still fairly new. Generally though, we only have contact standards for two categories: High and Moderate. High risk are to be seen at least 2x month, Moderate are to be seen 1x month. Some Highs I see once a week because they have a ton of issues. Some Moderates I see 2x a month because they too need a little bit more than the standard. Low/Moderate is the next level and is an "as needed" category and is based totally on your discretion. If you can justify why you don't need to frequently see these people, you're golden. I have some Low/Mods I see every one/two/three months because they have some current issues that need addressing. Others I haven't seen in six or more months because they've been doing well. In my experience with the feds, everything is based on justification. If you can justify why you haven't seen a guy for 8/9/10 months, it's totally fine. Again, I speak only for my district. Also, there is no standard on whether you see them at home or in the office. To my knowledge, I don't think any district in the US has a certain requirement on x number of office visits versus home visits. I like the field, so I try to spend more time there. Lots of discretion.

                      Geography is going to vary massively from district to district. In my district, we used share our city cases, as that was where most of them lived. On top of that, we were assigned one external county that was specifically yours. Recently we changed to where they want us to not be bound by geography. I now have offenders in the city as well as three or four surrounding counties. Makes days longer, but it's good to develop contacts in other counties. Some districts will tie you to a specific county, some will spread you out. Impossible to say how things are run in your neck of the woods.

                      Most districts have specialized caseloads. Sex offender caseloads are common. I'm a semi-specialized sex offender officer (50% of my caseload sex offenders and I am the only sex offender officer in my office) so feel free to ask questions if you'd like. Some districts have specialized caseloads with just financial crimes or gangs or violent offenders or computer crimes. Depends on if your district has a ton of those cases and can make an entire caseload out of it. Specialized caseloads are different from being an actual specialist officer. A specialist officer is a totally different pay band and the job must fall in the Adminstrative Office guidelines for a "specialized" officer. So even though I supervise sex offenders, I'm not officially a specialized officer. Weird, but this can vary district to district as well.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by holycrikey View Post
                        Contact standards are still fairly new. Generally though, we only have contact standards for two categories: High and Moderate. High risk are to be seen at least 2x month, Moderate are to be seen 1x month. Some Highs I see once a week because they have a ton of issues. Some Moderates I see 2x a month because they too need a little bit more than the standard. Low/Moderate is the next level and is an "as needed" category and is based totally on your discretion. If you can justify why you don't need to frequently see these people, you're golden. I have some Low/Mods I see every one/two/three months because they have some current issues that need addressing. Others I haven't seen in six or more months because they've been doing well. In my experience with the feds, everything is
                        based on justification. If you can justify why you haven't seen a guy for 8/9/10 months, it's totally fine. Again, I speak only for my district. Also, there is no standard on whether you see them at home or in the office. To my knowledge, I don't think any district in the US has a certain requirement on x number of office visits versus home visits. I like the field, so I try to spend more time there. Lots of discretion.

                        Geography is going to vary massively from district to district. In my district, we used share our city cases, as that was where most of them lived. On top of that, we were assigned one external county that was specifically yours. Recently we changed to where they want us to not be bound by geography. I now have offenders in the city as well as three or four surrounding counties. Makes days longer, but it's good to develop contacts in other counties. Some districts will tie you to a specific county, some will spread you out. Impossible to say how things are run in your neck of the woods.

                        Most districts have specialized caseloads. Sex offender caseloads are common. I'm a semi-specialized sex offender officer (50% of my caseload sex offenders and I am the only sex offender officer in my office) so feel free to ask questions if you'd like. Some districts have specialized caseloads with just financial crimes or gangs or violent offenders or computer crimes. Depends on if your district has a ton of those cases and can make an entire caseload out of it. Specialized caseloads are different from being an actual specialist officer. A specialist officer is a totally different pay band and the job must fall in the Adminstrative Office guidelines for a "specialized" officer. So even though I supervise sex offenders, I'm not officially a specialized officer. Weird, but this can vary district to district as well.

                        Can being bilingual meet the guidelines for " specialized officer?"

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by MiamiCanes View Post
                          Can being bilingual meet the guidelines for " specialized officer?"
                          No, specialized officers are specific positions that must be applied for. They are competitive, an in my district, you must have 3 years experience with at least one year at the CL-28 pay level.

                          Comment


                          • We used to have a MH officers, DATS officers, and ISS (really bad guys and witsec) cases. They changed and now just call specialist officers. Our contact standards are PCRA driven. LOW cases should be on admin supervision with our POA, high cases at least once per month, moderates every other month and low/moderates quarterly. Of course, it depends on what is going on with cases. There isn't a set standard of each visit but by home contact but they strongly encourage contests should be in the community and office not used to meet that contact standard. Also have monthly treatment collateral contacts and location monitoring monthly contacts with collateral contacts with those. Sex offenders do have set standards and are a pain in the butt to supervise

                            Comment


                            • Can someone also maybe give any insight on how promotions work. By that I mean does it go Probation officer, Probation supervisor, assistant deputy chief,etc?

                              Also has anyone in the hiring process for the Massachusetts districts heard anything back yet?

                              Thanks!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Nixon35 View Post
                                Can someone also maybe give any insight on how promotions work. By that I mean does it go Probation officer, Probation supervisor, assistant deputy chief,etc?

                                Also has anyone in the hiring process for the Massachusetts districts heard anything back yet?

                                Thanks!
                                As we all keep saying, It depends on the District... Typically its officer, specialists such as Drug and Alcohol Specialist (DATS)/Location Monitoring Specialist/program Specialist, supervising officers, deputy chief, chief.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 6966 users online. 297 members and 6669 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X