Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the info Sat, and yes, I'm going through the process with the SD in NY. I was under the impression that the majority of the info posted was relating to Probation and not Pretrial Services, so the clarification is much appreciated.

Comment

• I think there's only 17ish independent Pretrial offices across the country. I'm very fortunate to be in one of those offices.
      Last edited by PSOSAC; 12-09-2014, 12:36 AM.

Comment

• I was reading one of the announcements and it states police officer experience does not meet the requirement, but investigative experience does. I am not a detective but have been assigned cases to work on my own. Any current PO's know if I would stand a chance? I have 12 years local LE experience and a Master's Degree.
        "In valor there is hope"

Comment

• Originally posted by borninblue View Post
          I was reading one of the announcements and it states police officer experience does not meet the requirement, but investigative experience does. I am not a detective but have been assigned cases to work on my own. Any current PO's know if I would stand a chance? I have 12 years local LE experience and a Master's Degree.
          I think a lot of it has to do with your ability to articulate your experience. If you can relate your experience as a police officer to the duties carried out by USPO's it will go a long way. Your masters degree will also be a big benefit. You'll never know if you don't try. My district just hired a former police officer for a USPO position so it's certainly not unheard of.
          Last edited by c5rst; 12-11-2014, 10:44 PM.

Comment

• Agree with the above. They mostly mean not just routine patrol. If you are on units that does investigations, that counts. So if you are able to articulate how you can do the job, you should be ok. We have some that were police in their previous job.

Comment

• Someone on another forum claimed that the FLETC Academy for new U.S. Probation and Pretrial Services officers will be shortened in length due to the backlog of new officers needing to go through. Anyone have any info on this?

Comment

• I'm not sure as to why FLETC was shortened but it is true. I just received my dates this week for FLETC in April 2015 for 4 weeks! I heard it might be because they need to schedule more academies throughout the year so I'm sure it is due to the backlog.

Comment

• So, are they increasing the days to 10 hours? Are they shortening the amount of training? Such as, less rounds being fired on the range......

Comment

• I doubt they'll shorten the firearms and ORT portions of the training. If anything, I would think certain classroom modules would be cut. I'm not sure about 10 hour days but with the 6 week academy, I remember being done between 1600-1630 on a consistent basis.

Comment

• +1 for shortening the classroom time. Especially considering the majority of officers have been in the job for a substantial time before they report to FLETC. I was given "in house" training the first three months at the office and had been performing all duties of my gig for nearly a year before a FLETC spot opened up.

Comment

• Originally posted by PSOSAC View Post
                        +1 for shortening the classroom time. Especially considering the majority of officers have been in the job for a substantial time before they report to FLETC. I was given "in house" training the first three months at the office and had been performing all duties of my gig for nearly a year before a FLETC spot opened up.
                        This is exactly the reason I think FLETC needs to be shortened. I've only been back from FLETC a matter of months and have already forgotten just about everything to do with pre-trial and pre-sentence. I'm supervision so that stuff won't stick. I really believe FLETC should be 90% firearms, ORT, computer skills, and safety. The rest is stuff you'll figure out in district anyway.

A bit off topic, but the FLETC instructors for firearms were top notch. All of them were career military or law enforcement and were no-nonsense marksmen who knew how to teach. You'll transition from FLETC instructors to US Courts instructors when you move from basic pistol to tactical pistol. And honestly, I wish we would have kept the FLETC guys the whole way...
                        Last edited by holycrikey; 12-22-2014, 03:25 PM.

Comment

• I think they're gonna convert some of the classes into ELM modules, so there will probably be more "homework" for the 4 week classes.

Comment

• Think they also took out the driving portion. FLETC really should be only a few weeks anyway. Each district operates so differently from one another. Heck, each division on my district are different. Constantly getting called when a violation report is done this special way at this division and not the next. FLETC should focus on national policy and high liability stuff. Leave the basic stuff to FTO in district.

Comment

• I just got invited to take a test for a position in the Western District of Texas. Any idea what to expect? I'm guessing each district has their own process/test.

Also, do the US Courts provide vehicles for doing field visits? As a Parole Officer and Probation Officer in Texas I always had to use my own vehicle.

Comment

• Most districts have vehicles but officer's typically have to share. I share a vehicle with 1 other officer. I went to FLETC with a guy who works in a really small sub-office and he has to use his own car, but I don't believe that is the norm.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7115 users online. 381 members and 6734 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X