300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NeverReturnKid View Post
    Can someone give me an idea of how promotions/raises work? I am looking at applying for a USPO position in the Northern District of Texas. I have nearly 4 years combined experience in Parole/Probation and as a CPS investigator, as well as a Master of Public Administration. I am hoping that's enough to get me hired on somewhere.
    Per the norm with the federal courts, each district has their own discretion on what step you're hired in at as well as your progression through the steps. With your background and experience, I would expect you would be hired at a 28 which is the equivalent to a GS 11. Your first two years will be spent in the developmental range of whatever step you're brought in at. If you're lucky, your chief will progress you at four steps every six months. However, I would expect to progress at two steps every six months until you're out of the developmental range.

Hope this helps, and I apologize for any typos as I'm using talk to text.

Comment

• Originally posted by PSOSAC View Post
      Per the norm with the federal courts, each district has their own discretion on what step you're hired in at as well as your progression through the steps. With your background and experience, I would expect you would be hired at a 28 which is the equivalent to a GS 11. Your first two years will be spent in the developmental range of whatever step you're brought in at. If you're lucky, your chief will progress you at four steps every six months. However, I would expect to progress at two steps every six months until you're out of the developmental range.

Hope this helps, and I apologize for any typos as I'm using talk to text.
      He won't be hired at a CL28. Most districts are only hiring at CL25 no matter the experience. But after one year you will likely be bumped to CL27.

Comment

• You are certain he won't be hired on at a 28. Is that a ND/TX policy? Shame some districts choose not to hire applicants at the level they qualify...
        Last edited by PSOSAC; 09-21-2014, 10:10 PM.

Comment

• Any Officers working in the South Florida Office?? Key West?

Comment

• I try and chime in here every once in awhile. I agree with the above posters that at least in my district (also in the south), we don't hire above CL 25 unless it's a transfer from another district. Everyone comes in at CL25, regardless of what the posting states. Sucks, but most districts are still fairly tight on money. Things are getting better though. Speaking with some other officers across the nation, I do know that some districts are hiring at higher levels. They are the rarity, it seems. It's possible though.

Also, should any new/upcoming USPOs have any questions about FLETC Charleston, hit me up. I'm about halfway through training and it's been great so far.

Comment

• Originally posted by holycrikey View Post
              I try and chime in here every once in awhile. I agree with the above posters that at least in my district (also in the south), we don't hire above CL 25 unless it's a transfer from another district. Everyone comes in at CL25, regardless of what the posting states. Sucks, but most districts are still fairly tight on money. Things are getting better though. Speaking with some other officers across the nation, I do know that some districts are hiring at higher levels. They are the rarity, it seems. It's possible though.

Also, should any new/upcoming USPOs have any questions about FLETC Charleston, hit me up. I'm about halfway through training and it's been great so far.
              Yeah it's too bad that all districts don't hire new officers at the higher levels based on experience, but it will probably all even out in the end. Have fun at FLETC. I'll be there in December!

Comment

• Where have they been hiring US probation officers lately?

I've applied to riverside county CA a little bit ago, but I've been ignored by HR for the past few weeks after they said they would offer me a Skype test administration.

I was really excited about the position, but it looks like you have to know certain locations are opening for this position.
                Last edited by Lost2Apathy; 09-23-2014, 10:14 PM.

Comment

• Check uscourts.gov. There's quite a few openings listed on there.

Comment

• I have no experience and I am finishing up my bachelor's degree in Dec. Do you think I'll have a chance at being USPO? Also do they test for color vision?

Comment

• Originally posted by sally mae View Post
                      I have no experience and I am finishing up my bachelor's degree in Dec. Do you think I'll have a chance at being USPO? Also do they test for color vision?
                      Yes, they will check for color blindness during your medical eval. Usually it's not a reason for rejection though. We've actually got a guy in my FLETC class right now who is red/green colorblind.

If your only background is a Bachelor's, extremely low likelihood you'll be hired (just being honest). All officers have a fair amount of field experience in probation/parole, corrections, law enforcement, etc. A few officers I know started as interns, worked their way to a probation officer assistant, and then finally got the shot at a full USPO position. If you don't have related experience, start with some local or state agencies. Always apply to USPO positions, but be realistic with your chances. Out of every officer in my office as well as the other 23 officers I've met at FLETC, everyone has at least four or more years of directly related experience. Myself and about eight others have an M.S. One officer has a J.D. These postings are definitely competitive (I applied to countless postings when I just had my B.A., so I'm not feeding any crap. It's tough to get in).

Comment

• Hiring is really dependent on district. I was hired with a bachelors degree and 5 years experience at a CL-27. As for being hired without any experience I think you may have an uphill battle. At my FLETC class we had people with MS and JD and they even had at least 2-3 years of supervision experience. Seems like federal probation wants to train you in "their way" of supervision/pre-writing; not train you how to supervise/write pre-sentence reports. However, I will add this. Some people in our district and other districts at FLETC were hired with NO supervision experience. They did however have experience running a drug court, re-entry court, clinical services program, etc. We also had a previous police detective and Child Protective Services worker in our class. I guess you just need some kind of experience working with families/offenders.
                        Last edited by c5rst; 09-28-2014, 10:45 PM.

Comment

• FOH Review

Does FOH usually take the full 30 days to do the medical review?
                          Last edited by AZbarr; 09-29-2014, 05:42 PM.

Comment

• Has anyone applied to any USPO positions in Texas recently? If so, any luck?

God Bless

Comment

• Originally posted by AZbarr View Post
                              Does FOH usually take the full 30 days to do the medical review?
                              FOH took about 2 weeks for their review during my process. QTC on the other hand was a nightmare.

Comment

• Originally posted by sally mae View Post
                                I have no experience and I am finishing up my bachelor's degree in Dec. Do you think I'll have a chance at being USPO? Also do they test for color vision?
                                I agree with the other posts that the chances of getting picked up for USPO or USPSO are going to be tough without prior experience. I was a student intern, received my BA and got a bit of experience with 4 years of doing state supervision. You could probably apply for a POA or PSOA position but those are likely to be highly competitive. Try to get into a county/state agency doing some type of probation, parole, pretrial services work, or something similar. I would advocate for working on your graduate degree. Some districts prefer candidates with grad degrees but at least where I'm at, it wasn't something that was necessary. Best of luck to you!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8421 users online. 454 members and 7967 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X