Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Probation Officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hello,

    I applied for a Pretrial Services Officer position in NY. The position closed Aug 20th. I have a MA and over 6 years or mental health and case management (foster care, juvenile justice, mentally restarted population, substance abuse population etc)type of experiences and currently work for DOCCS (7 months only though). Any idea if they would consider someone like me a good candidate. Also, Does anyone know if they have started calling for the position, is it by phone or email. I am really hoping they call me but it would be nice to get an idea if I should get my hopes up or not.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by acacia1122 View Post
      Hello,

      I applied for a Pretrial Services Officer position in NY. The position closed Aug 20th. I have a MA and over 6 years or mental health and case management (foster care, juvenile justice, mentally restarted population, substance abuse population etc)type of experiences and currently work for DOCCS (7 months only though). Any idea if they would consider someone like me a good candidate. Also, Does anyone know if they have started calling for the position, is it by phone or email. I am really hoping they call me but it would be nice to get an idea if I should get my hopes up or not.
      MA in what? Sounds like you have the background it's just a matter of what that particular district is looking for.

      Comment


      • In my experience they sent a letter snail mail which included a prearranged interview time. I just had to call and confirm the appointment. Same thing with the second interview. However, I was contacted by phone when they made the job offer.

        Comment


        • A masters in forensic mental health counseling

          Comment


          • Originally posted by acacia1122 View Post
            A masters in forensic mental health counseling
            Yes, you are qualified!

            My .02 cents... Remember, this position is a mix 50/50 mid law enforcement/social work. If your District is like mine, it's 70/30. U will be issued credentials/badge/and a gun. Biggest struggle I've seen is people being too social work driven and not adjusting well to being a LEO. We are there to help people; however, the safety of the community is our primary goal.

            Also, regarding the hiring process. Each district operates independent from Washington. Meaning they hire how they (the Chief) want to. Each district does things differently.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by PSOSAC View Post
              Yes, you are qualified!

              My .02 cents... Remember, this position is a mix 50/50 mid law enforcement/social work. If your District is like mine, it's 70/30. U will be issued credentials/badge/and a gun. Biggest struggle I've seen is people being too social work driven and not adjusting well to being a LEO. We are there to help people; however, the safety of the community is our primary goal.

              Also, regarding the hiring process. Each district operates independent from Washington. Meaning they hire how they (the Chief) want to. Each district does things differently.
              Yayy. Thanks so much for your help. When I called HR after Applying a few weeks ago the person indicated that the process does take four months. I guess I'm worried because of how competitive the applicant pool is. On the posting they asked for a cover letter resume and a 2 pg statement on why you qualify and I think I did a pretty god job of selling myself. However I'm sure others did a good job at that as well. In the mean time I will just keep my fingers crossed.

              I'm also waiting on westchester probation to call I took that exam last year and did pretty well. So we will see
              Last edited by acacia1122; 09-01-2014, 08:44 PM.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by acacia1122 View Post
                Yayy. Thanks so much for your help. When I called HR after Applying a few weeks ago the person indicated that the process does take four months. I guess I'm worried because of how competitive the applicant pool is. On the posting they asked for a cover letter resume and a 2 pg statement on why you qualify and I think I did a pretty god job of selling myself. However I'm sure others did a good job at that as well. In the mean time I will just keep my fingers crossed.

                I'm also waiting on westchester probation to call I took that exam last year and did pretty well. So we will see
                Mobility helps also. It is common for folks to move for the position. If not you are forced to wait until the next posting for your area in 1,2 or maybe 3? Years.

                I agree you are qualified and competitive but it is a very good job that lots of folks are applying for. Good luck.

                Comment


                • I'm finally branching out from applying to only openings in Florida after about 15 no-go's. I just applied for the USPO opening in Denver, Colorado and a recent one in Cheyenne, WY. I also applied, yet again, for the new PTS opening in Tampa. Eventually, the stars have to align for me.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by PSOSAC View Post
                    Yes, you are qualified!

                    My .02 cents... Remember, this position is a mix 50/50 mid law enforcement/social work. If your District is like mine, it's 70/30. U will be issued credentials/badge/and a gun. Biggest struggle I've seen is people being too social work driven and not adjusting well to being a LEO. We are there to help people; however, the safety of the community is our primary goal.

                    Also, regarding the hiring process. Each district operates independent from Washington. Meaning they hire how they (the Chief) want to. Each district does things differently.
                    Lucky... My district is the reverse. Pretty much 70 social work and 30 law enforcement. I really wish we could swing the other way sometimes...

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by holycrikey View Post
                      Lucky... My district is the reverse. Pretty much 70 social work and 30 law enforcement. I really wish we could swing the other way sometimes...
                      It's about the same in my district. I don't mind it though. I came from a county probation department which was 100% social work and 0% law enforcement.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by GA12 View Post
                        Mobility helps also. It is common for folks to move for the position. If not you are forced to wait until the next posting for your area in 1,2 or maybe 3? Years.
                        I agree you are qualified and competitive but it is a very good job that lots of folks are applying for. Good luck.

                        Hey there

                        So I got a call today from personnal inviting me to take the exam? Hopefully I do well enough to secure an interview

                        Comment


                        • So I recvd a letter on 9/11/14 inviting me to take the exam on 9/12/14...Im glad my current job is flexible!. I took the exam, it wasnt too bad, just LONG. It literally took me the whole 3 hours to complete. They said I will hear back either way by 10/31

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by AwesomePOII View Post
                            So I recvd a letter on 9/11/14 inviting me to take the exam on 9/12/14...Im glad my current job is flexible!. I took the exam, it wasnt too bad, just LONG. It literally took me the whole 3 hours to complete. They said I will hear back either way by 10/31
                            Good luck! What does your experience/education level look like?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by jdg0044 View Post
                              Good luck! What does your experience/education level look like?
                              Thanks, Ive been a Felony Probation Officer for 3 years, worked in the Prison as a Case Manager for 1 year...Bachelors in Psychology.

                              Comment


                              • Can someone give me an idea of how promotions/raises work? I am looking at applying for a USPO position in the Northern District of Texas. I have nearly 4 years combined experience in Parole/Probation and as a CPS investigator, as well as a Master of Public Administration. I am hoping that's enough to get me hired on somewhere.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 12456 users online. 456 members and 12000 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X