300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this apply to out of state LEO's?
    The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

Comment

Originally posted by fun. View Post
      Outside of Seattle proper, and still well within driving distance of Tukwila, you can get a lot of house for your money. With the starting salary that Tukwila offers you could live a pretty good life and do well for you and for your family. Obviously no one is going to get rich being a cop, but as far as I'm concerned the PNW (outside of Seattle) is the best kept secret in the country for good living.
      This is very accurate. The PNW has an incredibly stable economy afforded by big businesses such as Amazon, Boeing, and Microsoft. Our pay is definitely up there compared to other areas in the country.
      "A World Class Police Department Delivering Professional Law Enforcement Services"

http://www.tukwilawa.gov/police/pd.html

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by dannmann1050 View Post
        Does this apply to out of state LEO's?
        It applies to any and all LEO's who have worked for an agency for 18 out of the last 36 months!
        "A World Class Police Department Delivering Professional Law Enforcement Services"

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by wildstar82 View Post
          Im a fed just up the road but I work with a lot of state/local guys (not Tukwila). I'm not applying to the position, but I know others who are. What I know and see about the state LE system that I consider a drawback is that once you retire, you get no health insurance. Most other states that I've seen are not like that. That caveat saves the state system a lot of money by not paying retiree health costs, which are generally high. The state/local guys around this area do make well. Most King County Deputies I know generally make around $100k by the end of the year. The state LE retirement system is also pretty generous too. Considering they don't pay for health insurance, they probably should be.
          This is true wildstar which is why anyone with a brain around here puts the extra pay to work for them in some form of additional retirement account or IRA. If you're diligent about it, it can more than make up the difference.

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by fun. View Post
            Well here's a perk... we've got some damn good fishin' for when you do retire! :-D
            Salmon just stopped running but I think trout and bass are good into December!
            Last edited by Recruiter161; 11-19-2013, 06:53 PM.

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Firstlast View Post
              Heck I'll be fishing from my walker if I live that long.

Clarification on the schedule? 3x12 then 4x12? So guaranteed 4 hrs ot per check?
              We work a 12hr schedule so you have 3 days on then 3 days off followed by 4 days on and 4 days off. Our days off are constant except for Saturday's. So for example, our "B" side shift works from Wednesday through Friday and every OTHER Saturday. Our shifts are either 6am to 6pm or 6pm to 6am. We do technically work a little more than 40hrs/week based on our monthly schedule and those hours go into our "Kelly" bank which you can choose to either cash out or use as time off.

The days off give us a ton of time to work overtime if you want since we're a relatively small city population wise but have a TON of businesses that hire us for security work.

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Recruiter161 View Post
                This is true wildstar which is why anyone with a brain around here puts the extra pay to work for them in some form of additional retirement account or IRA. If you're diligent about it, it can more than make up the difference.
                The promotion potential must be really great since there are so many officers there without a brain because most officers I know work until they're older or get a second job after retirement. I'm not taking away anything from your dept or the LEOFF system because I've heard great things, but I figured some guys would like that piece of information for planning purposes. With the new healthcare act coming into law, it should actually make it much easier for LE retirees to get affordable health insurance without their age/prior conditions being held against them and make working in WA that much more attractive.

Comment

Originally posted by wildstar82 View Post
                  The promotion potential must be really great since there are so many officers there without a brain because most officers I know work until they're older or get a second job after retirement. I'm not taking away anything from your dept or the LEOFF system because I've heard great things, but I figured some guys would like that piece of information for planning purposes. With the new healthcare act coming into law, it should actually make it much easier for LE retirees to get affordable health insurance without their age/prior conditions being held against them and make working in WA that much more attractive.
                  I wasn't meaning to knock your comment at all Wildstar and I apologize profusely if you took it that way. It's true that most guys don't retire right at 53 when they're eligible and it's also true that some get a second job after retirement however many of the guys I know who have retired over the last few years were able to build a comfortable nest egg via the Leoff II retirement AND a deferred compensation plan/IRA. Some, but not all, of them got second jobs after retiring here but for the most part it was the guys who would go stir crazy sitting at home.

I know this because we are doing this big recruiting push due to the "Baby Boomers" retiring and we're attempting to fill those spots. I apologize again to everyone if my previous post was taken out of context.

Here is the link to the leoff II retirement system that also has a downloadable handbook which should address any specific questions: http://www.leoff.wa.gov/
                  Last edited by Recruiter161; 11-20-2013, 11:47 AM.

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Recruiter161 View Post
                    I wasn't meaning to knock your comment at all Wildstar and I apologize profusely if you took it that way. It's true that most guys don't retire right at 53 when they're eligible and it's also true that some get a second job after retirement however many of the guys I know who have retired over the last few years were able to build a comfortable nest egg via the Leoff II retirement AND a deferred compensation plan/IRA. Some, but not all, of them got second jobs after retiring here but for the most part it was the guys who would go stir crazy sitting at home.

I know this because we are doing this big recruiting push due to the "Baby Boomers" retiring and we're attempting to fill those spots. I apologize again to everyone if my previous post was taken out of context.

Here is the link to the leoff II retirement system that also has a downloadable handbook which should address any specific questions: http://www.leoff.wa.gov/

You're good! My feelings are not hurt. While I've never worked with your department, as I said before, but I've heard a lot of good things. You guys work in a target rich environment down there and I think if anyone wants to be a pro-active police officer in a department that is supportive, they should seriously give y'all a look.

I think any LEO would be doing themselves a huge disservice by not fattening up their 401k type account while on the job. While being a public employee and having a pension is nice, I don't underestimate the stupidity of government ruining it or getting rid of it, leaving those retirees in a bind. My discussion earlier stems from the fact that health care in retirement, before you can get Medicare, is really expensive. Before the ACA, a retired cop would spend upwards of $10k a year on premiums for health insurance. The premiums would eat away at any savings quickly and that's if there were no medical issues. I do believe the ACA will afford officers who decide to retire early enough to enjoy life the chance to do so without breaking their savings. The good thing about Tukwila PD is that you earn a wage that is modest enough to live comfortably and plan for what lays ahead. At the end of a day and career, you won't feel that you wasted your life risking it for peanuts while others get rich.

Comment

We are still actively testing and have a number of openings to fill. The $5,000 lateral signing bonus will remain in effect until the positions are filled. PM me if you have any questions about our department or testing process!

[email protected]

Comment

Happy New Year everyone! If you're looking to make a change for 2014 please let me know. The Tukwila Police Department is still continually testing and we do our best make everything streamlined to be flexible around your schedule.

PM me if you have any questions or check out our website below.

[email protected]

Comment

I've had a ton of people PMing me wondering if we still had positions available and I wanted to let everyone know that we plan on actively hiring at least through 2014. We still have positions available and we are incredibly flexible for our lateral testing as we try to make our process as convenient for you as possible.

Let me know if you are interested in making a change.

[email protected]

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3869 users online. 288 members and 3581 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X