Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding LAPD hiring perception of full-time versus part-time work

I have been in the LAPD process for nearly two years. I was previously removed from the process in 2011 due to the department's opinion that I did not have sufficient employment experience. I have since earned the requisite work experience by getting a full-time job, and I am now back in the process.

I'm at a crossroads. My first choice of career is, of course, to become a police officer. However, given that the LAPD is highly selective, I have no guarantee of success. Thus, I have prepared a Plan B, which is to attend graduate school and qualify myself for a career of a more civilian nature. For the academic programs I am interested in , I will need to prepare for and take the GRE examination, which will require more time than I currently have, given my full-time job.

(NOTE: I am aware that I could take the GRE with minimal preparation while working full-time and earn a mediocre score. However, I aspire to gain admission to highly competitive Master's programs, which require much higher test scores than I could earn by preparing in my off-hours alone.)

Here's my question: Should I go part-time at my current place of work to free up study time, or will that negatively impact the department's perception of me as an employee?

Has anyone experienced a similar situation? Any advice would be appreciated.

You should visit policebackground.net/Forum

That is a police background/forum website that is entirely devoted to LAPD. The people on that forum are extremely nice and knowledgeable.

Comment

Do you really need to go part time to study for the GRE? I find that interesting because there are plenty of guys/gals who while working full time, and taking care of their families, also were able to complete a masters degree etc. It's how bad you want it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11130 users online. 516 members and 10614 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X