300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-ACT 120 Jobs

Hey guys, I've been a long time reader but never really posted too much before. I was just wondering, what have you guys have seen in your state or area that doesn't require the ACT-120? For example, here in PA the State Police do not require the 120 as a pre req. and all of the sheriff departments send their deputies to a special training upon hiring.

I guess this would go for LEO jobs that are federal, municipal or state.

Thanks!

-J

PA State Police
    Written- Passed
    Oral Boards- Scheduled

PA State Police Liquor Enforcement
    Written- Passed
    Oral Boards- Waiting...

PA Dept. Of Corrections
    Written- Scheduled

PA DCNR Ranger
    Written- Scheduled

PA County Sheriff Deputy
    Looking for an open position..

Watch your Six
    PA State Police
    Written- Passed
    Oral Boards- Scheduled

Written- Passed
    Oral Boards- Waiting...

PA Dept. Of Corrections
    Written- Scheduled

PA DCNR Ranger
    Written- Scheduled

PA County Sheriff Deputy

Watch your Six

For some reason, PA doesn't give their Deputy Sheriffs police powers. Retarded if you ask me. You wouldn't be able to lateral from Sheriffs to Municipal either because of the lack of the Act 120 cert. IIRC, Deputies get Act 2, which doesn't carry over.

If at all possible, if you can self sponsor yourself through an Act 120 program, you'd be set.

Comment

That's the tough part...act 120 takes a couple months and I've heard its impossible to work during. And everyone has bills so I have no clue how i'd swing that. I wouldn't mind being a sheriff's dep. to get my foot in the door somewhere though.

PA State Police
      Written- Passed
      Oral Boards- Scheduled

Written- Passed
      Oral Boards- Waiting...

PA Dept. Of Corrections
      Written- Scheduled

PA DCNR Ranger
      Written- Scheduled

PA County Sheriff Deputy

Watch your Six
      Last edited by jdh4659; 08-19-2013, 08:30 AM.
      PA State Police
      Written- Passed
      Oral Boards- Scheduled

Written- Passed
      Oral Boards- Waiting...

PA Dept. Of Corrections
      Written- Scheduled

PA DCNR Ranger
      Written- Scheduled

PA County Sheriff Deputy

Watch your Six

Comment

You can go to Act 120 at night through a part time academy. Just some FYI but there are private police departments (mainly colleges) that do not require an Act 120 for employment but just a 235.

Sheriff's in Pa did it to themselves in the 70's when 120 was introduced. They were going to be mandated to have 120 and they would have police powers but they did not want it. Rumor from my state senator is that all new sheriff's deputies after the election will be required to have 120.

I work as a federal officer in PA and do not have 120. I applied for waiver and was granted but am waiting to see what classes I need as I have some MPO certs already.
        I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Originally posted by jdh4659 View Post
          what have you guys have seen in your state or area that doesn't require the ACT-120?
          I guess this would go for LEO jobs that are federal, municipal or state.
          In my state and I am sure in every state except PA this ACT 120 does not mean anything. The ACT 120 also does not apply to federal law enforcement using federal powers. PA could state that federal agents cannot enforce state law (e.g. be considered a peace officer under state law) without ACT 120 but they have no control over how federal law enforcement enforces federal law. I know as a federal special agent I can excercise all of my federal police powers in PA without ACT 120.

Comment

I guess what i'm getting at is...

What are some states/agencies that do not require a specialized pre-req program such as ACT 120 to start a law enforcement career? Here in PA our PSP do not require anything prior, nor do our Sheriff's departments (as of now). In neighboring Ohio SOME municipal agencies require Ohio Peace Officer Training, maybe all do but I'm not certain...

I'd like to look into these to see where some openings are. If you all know of any.
            PA State Police
            Written- Passed
            Oral Boards- Scheduled

Written- Passed
            Oral Boards- Waiting...

PA Dept. Of Corrections
            Written- Scheduled

PA DCNR Ranger
            Written- Scheduled

PA County Sheriff Deputy

Watch your Six

Comment

The vast majority of federal law enforcement jobs do not require any law enforcement certifications or any sort of POST licensing prior to getting a job. They may require a degree and are very competative especially if you do not have vet preference points.

Comment

I guess what i'm getting at is...

What are some states/agencies that do not require a specialized pre-req program such as ACT 120 to start a law enforcement career? Here in PA our PSP do not require anything prior, nor do our Sheriff's departments (as of now). In neighboring Ohio SOME municipal agencies require Ohio Peace Officer Training, maybe all do but I'm not certain...

I'd like to look into these to see where some openings are. If you all know of any.
                That is incorrect. Most sheriff's (including Philadelphia) are now requiring Act 120 so they do not have to send someone through Act 2 training at State College.

Only PSP and DCNR do not require an Act 120 as a prerequisite to get hired at the state level. DCNR rangers do not get act 120 certified as they are not afford the right by DCNR to take the MPO test at the end of training and the ranger is required to find an agency to sponser them through ther test. PA State capitol police, Ft. Indiantown gap police and all the others such as the various universities require Act 120 up front.
                I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4365 users online. 179 members and 4186 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X