Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my experience, my BA (which I earned this year after nearly 5 years OTJ) helped mostly with getting promoted within my agency. Although I don't make more for just having the degree, I do appear (on paper) to be more promotable than those without.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeymedic View Post
      In my experience, my BA (which I earned this year after nearly 5 years OTJ) helped mostly with getting promoted within my agency. Although I don't make more for just having the degree, I do appear (on paper) to be more promotable than those without.
      This, IMHO, is the biggest benefit to having a degree. Many agencies that I have experience with either do not require a degree at all to be hired, or the degree requirement can be waived with a few years of military service. That's to be hired, though. Degrees definitely become far more important when trying to promote once you've already been on the job for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by Esco View Post

Now. Lets say u work for a large dept and your watch commander(LT) hates your guts. You can transfer to another watch/unit or across town no problems. You **** off a higher up at a small dept u might find yourself out of a job. Food for thought. Good luck on your career.
        I agree with above, Lieutenants and in many cases Sergeants can make life miserable.
        Best wishes for a successful career.

Comment

So I may repeat some things that have been said above so I apologize in advance. I offer my .02 because I have recently been through this. I started with a big department but moved to a smaller department due to family issues in terms of money (the smaller offered me a huge pay increase and my wife was going to grad school so she wasn't working).

Here is what I have found out. Had it not been for the dire need for the increase and for me to support my family I would have moved back to the bigger agency. I too thought being just a number was a bad thing but I quickly found out that s*** rolls down hill a lot faster with fewer bumps (people) to buffer the decent.

Eventually with a big department you name will be known, rather good or bad. It just takes more time. With a smaller department the way people view you and your personality will affect your job, not so much in a bigger department. In the smaller dept peoples gossip will taint others views a lot faster seeing that it doesn't have far to go so be careful. It doesn't matter how much of an awesome officer you are someone is not going to like your for whatever reason.

Also and you mentioned this before bigger departments have more specialized units to transfer to. My small PD only has VICE, Street Crimes, CID, FTO and school resource officers. In a PD with 245 sworn, it will take some time to finally make it out of patrol. The old agency I worked for had all that plus CCRT, CRT, Fugitive task force, TNT just to name a few.

Hope this helps man and good luck. Don't let people get you down about your age. I had a buddy of mine in the academy with me who was 21 and he turned out to be a great officer. If your not mature when you take the badge, it will make you mature fast. You either realize the real world is a dangerous place and the things you see make you mature or you screw up and lose your job and you gain a hard lesson from it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6287 users online. 348 members and 5939 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X