300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MA DOC or BOP if you had a choice

What would you choose and why? Pro's and Con's about why picking one over the other, and if you had the choice what would you pick...Also, how competitive is the promotion potential within the MA DOC?

any info would b great please because i was just hired for both the BOP Sept 7th FLETC and the MA DOC in Oct 5 and im not sure what i should do....questions i have are around promotional potential, pay, retirement?

BOP is a good way into the Feds to stop your 6C clock. The retirement is FERS 33% top 3 salaries, TSP(govt 401k matches 5%) plus soc sec if still around. If u wanna move around nation you can make rank @ BOP quickly over a few years. 25 years at any age, 20 years at least after 50.

Make sure u check MA retirement. I'm unaware of there's.

Comment

Originally posted by Esco View Post
      BOP is a good way into the Feds to stop your 6C clock. The retirement is FERS 33% top 3 salaries, TSP(govt 401k matches 5%) plus soc sec if still around. If u wanna move around nation you can make rank @ BOP quickly over a few years. 25 years at any age, 20 years at least after 50.

Make sure u check MA retirement. I'm unaware of there's.
      Be aware though that with the fers retirement they don't count any overtime with that retirement salary calculation...
      Guys..."does that make sense?"

Comment

Originally posted by deliver247 View Post
        Be aware though that with the fers retirement they don't count any overtime with that retirement salary calculation...
        Why is that, all the agents i know who get LEAP are told by OPM that is counts towards their normal salary.

Comment

Leap is not overtime. Leap is paid on every check. It's availability pay. OT would be over leap it's called FLSA. FLSA does not count towards any federal retirement.

Comment

but in order to qualify for the leap, don't you have to avergae at least 10 extra hours per week ?

Comment

Depending on the agency. Usually 2 hrs extra a day. Some agencies do just 8 hr days and still get leap

Comment

I don't belive BOP gets LEAP. If you want a corrections career, and wish to stay in New England, the MA DOC may well pay better and likley provide a better retirement. Reasearch this well.
                If you want to move around geographically, or get into Fed LE than it is the BOP hands down. Either organization is a good one. The final choice is what you want for the long term. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Wentwest View Post
                  I don't belive BOP gets LEAP. If you want a corrections career, and wish to stay in New England, the MA DOC may well pay better and likley provide a better retirement. Reasearch this well.
                  If you want to move around geographically, or get into Fed LE than it is the BOP hands down. Either organization is a good one. The final choice is what you want for the long term. Good luck.
                  Hello to all, this is how I got into the Feds, however if you intend to stay put I think the locals might have the benefits beat . In NYC dept of correction benefits have the bop beat by miles. But the city correction isn't for the feint of heart. Research it well, look at the medical and high years for the pension.
                  Abraham Lincoln:Nowhere in the world is presented a government of so much liberty and equality. To the humblest and poorest amongst us are held out the highest privileges and positions. The present moment finds me at the White House, yet there is as good a chance for your children as there was for my father's.
                  --August 31, 1864 Speech to 148th Ohio Regiment

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10967 users online. 547 members and 10420 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X