300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background question

I just passed my oral board interview with the Orange County Sheriff's department for a corrections position, and I have begun filling out the 16 page personal history. Under the employment section, it asks for my supervisor's home address and phone number. However, my most recent supervisor won't give me her home address, and said to use her work address. During the orientation I believe the recruiter said to bring in a copy of an email showing proof of it, and then they will decide where to go from there. I also plan on calling the department tomorrow to see if there is anyone there I can speak to about it. Do you think this will be a big deal?

It should not be a big deal. Your passing the background should not be dependent on a third party disclosing their home address to you. Your BI should recognize this.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Another question, it also asks how many law enforcement agencies I've applied to. I remember I was asked that during my pre-investigative interview, I listed four agencies that I actually began the process with, but I also mentioned that I've applied to a bunch of others online, and the officer seemed curious about that. Is this something I should be concerned about? I can't remember all the agencies I've applied to, I applied to a lot because I was graduating college and wanted to start working soon, so I would just go to governmentjobs.com and applied different departments that were hiring to increase my options.
      Last edited by XA20; 08-11-2013, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Just an update, I had my meeting with the background investigator and told her I applied to several other departments in addition to the four I listed on my application. She asked me to email her the names of the rest, and said it's not a big deal that I've applied to a bunch of departments.

Comment

When one goes through a testing process one tends to be paranoid of everything that goes on. From the writing of the raters during your orals, questions asked by the Background Investigators.....and so on. If your truthful and honest to the best of your ability then you'll do fine and good luck to you.

Comment

So, my background investigation started two weeks ago and I just got a call saying my investigator wants me to take a polygraph already. It seems too soon to me, I thought they do that after the investigation is completed. Does this mean anything? Or are they just trying to expedite the process?

Comment

They sent out my reference letters last week, I doubt everyone has already sent them back already

Comment

Originally posted by XA20 View Post
                So, my background investigation started two weeks ago and I just got a call saying my investigator wants me to take a polygraph already. It seems too soon to me, I thought they do that after the investigation is completed. Does this mean anything? Or are they just trying to expedite the process?
                Too soon for what? Poly isn't about your whole background, they already should have info on that and don't need to wait for a ref. letter to come back. Do a poly and that cans more applicants than any so why continue to waste man hours with a background.
                "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

I thought they do the polygraph after the entire background investigation is complete, I guess i could be wrong.

Comment

The poly primarily determines if you lied on your personal history questionnaire or of there is anything in your background not covered by the questionnaire that would otherwise DQ you.

It's better to do it at the beginning, discover any DQ factor early and avoid having to do a full background.
                    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Since it was already covered we can skip the home address question-

You are wrong- there is no set timeline or sequence per se - it can come at any stage. Same with the drug screen, MMPI, field interviews, medical and PT tests.

Some agencies who do them in-house will just plug you in when they have an open seat. I know some agencies try to get them done early on in the process as it tends to be the least expensive and often most effective tool to determine if you are worth investing time and energy on.

As for agencies applied to- this is a HUGE thing to remember. Keep track of them. If you submit an application to a law enforcement agency- make note of when and the status of your application. It matters not the vehicle through which you applied- applied is applied. They will look to review your application and ->disclosures<- for consistency. As such, they should be 100% consistent.
                      Originally posted by SSD
                      It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
                      Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                      And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                        It's better to do it at the beginning, discover any DQ factor early and avoid having to do a full background.
                        More like saving the PD money, because it's to lazy to do a proper background investigation.

XA20, tell the truth and you should be good to go. Know this, however, you can tell the complete truth and still fail the poly. The poly does not detect deception, it only gets admissions...admit to all you know and let the dice roll.

No one can remember everything, including applications (not that it matters anyway).
                        Last edited by Brightshape; 08-30-2013, 05:10 AM.

Comment

How was the poly? Did you pass? Any hiccups?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5434 users online. 320 members and 5114 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X