300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staying Positive?

I received notice today that one of my federal applications which was selected, did not get chosen for further consideration. I personally hate pity-sob stories so please stop me if this sounds too much like that.

That particular job was one of those that I really spent time targeting my resume and felt good about my chances. It was Department of the Army at Fort Hunter Ligget, and I have 5 yrs active duty Army Military Police experience plus college (finishing this December). I don't know what else I could have to improve my candidacy other than more enlisted years? Completed degree already?

Meanwhile I have an upcoming interview in Nevada for a K9 position that I think would be great. BUT, my wife doesn't want to move the family out there. I'm supposed to call to cancel the interview but I'm dragging my feet because i think it's a good opportunity. Also, I have until December to get a job when my GI Bill income runs dry, then contingency plans like re-entering active duty kick in. So you can see my dilemma

Damn that's pretty pity-filled, sorry. I've been heavily applying for 8 months and have 5 months to go. How do you combat the sh*tty negative feelings of not being selected or failing a psych etc, several times-over?

Originally posted by 31BZ6 View Post
    I received notice today that one of my federal applications which was selected, did not get chosen for further consideration. I personally hate pity-sob stories so please stop me if this sounds too much like that.

That particular job was one of those that I really spent time targeting my resume and felt good about my chances. It was Department of the Army at Fort Hunter Ligget, and I have 5 yrs active duty Army Military Police experience plus college (finishing this December). I don't know what else I could have to improve my candidacy other than more enlisted years? Completed degree already?

Meanwhile I have an upcoming interview in Nevada for a K9 position that I think would be great. BUT, my wife doesn't want to move the family out there. I'm supposed to call to cancel the interview but I'm dragging my feet because i think it's a good opportunity. Also, I have until December to get a job when my GI Bill income runs dry, then contingency plans like re-entering active duty kick in. So you can see my dilemma

Damn that's pretty pity-filled, sorry. I've been heavily applying for 8 months and have 5 months to go. How do you combat the sh*tty negative feelings of not being selected or failing a psych etc, several times-over?
    I feel your pain. It gets really tough sometimes that is for sure.

It is hard moving a family around in pursuit of your LE dreams. I know because I am doing it myself. If I were you, I would sit down with my wife and work out a deal with her. Find out what it would take for her to be happy in Nevada and promise her a few years there to attain any goals she may have. That is the only way I am able to keep my wife on board while I chase an 1811 spot. She has to know that, while it may be hard now, her dreams are important too and you can both get where you want to go.

As for the rejection, get ready for (possibly a lot) more. The hiring climate is not good right now. It will get better, but you are facing an uphill battle for most LE jobs. If you have a good chance with the agency in Nevada I would take it. I don't think more years in the Army is the right answer if your goal is LE. You already checked that box, now it is time to work on professional development.

Stay strong, and keep the faith!

Comment

Times are tough. Take the interview for the Nevada job, and continue to apply and interview elsewhere until you EOD in Nevada. That way,your wife can see you're trying elsewhere too.
      Last edited by clerkofoc; 01-30-2014, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Thanks man I appreciate that. I definitely underestimated the hiring climate when I first started applying. The news told me the recession was over!

Thanks for the good advice and good luck to you as well!

Comment

Nothing wrong with complaining about hiring from time to time. It is a healthy in my opinion.

The way I have come to see it, the hiring game is basically a numbers game. The more applications you put out there, the higher the chance of you getting a job offer. At the federal level, that could mean months and months, sometimes years. It took me 4 years of applying (1 years of applying after I got my degree) to get an offer. And that was in DC, where jobs are plentiful supposedly.

I did notice through trial and error that army and navy jobs were almost all filled externally (at my entry level anyway). They have people on base who separate all the time, so they hire them after they are done. Nothing you can do about that really, unless you can network with some people on base. DOD jobs are probably drying up to, due to sequestration.

If you finish your degree, start a grad program so you can still get paid while you look. Get some books about federal hiring process (i got one from my library and learned some things I hadn't considered before). Go to the interview in Nevada if you can, if anything, just so you can practice interviewing skills. Look for and county jobs. Some states will give you credit for your military service toward retirement (Maryland State Police does) so give it a shot.

There will have to be a hiring spree in the upcoming years, since most agencies haven't hired much in the past 5 years. When that time comes, you will have better experience with applying that those who apply for the first time.

One last thing. It took me awhile to realize that my idea of a perfect candidate on paper could be different from the agency's ideal candidate. So regardless how perfect your resume/ experience is, sometimes it just won't be the right fit. Don't let that make you second guess yourself and keep marching on.

Comment

Originally posted by ForzaMilan View Post
            One last thing. It took me awhile to realize that my idea of a perfect candidate on paper could be different from the agency's ideal candidate. So regardless how perfect your resume/ experience is, sometimes it just won't be the right fit. Don't let that make you second guess yourself and keep marching on.

This is really good insight. It doesn't get said much, but needs to be.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10324 users online. 477 members and 9847 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X