300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DEA Hiring

On USAJobs.gov I've applied numerous times to different locations for a position in the DEA titled, Investigative Assistant (OA). With my prior CBP hiring process I was rated a G-5, I have a 4 year bachelors degree and nearly 3 years in banking. Some of the OA positions have been rated a G-5--G-7 status, I've been turned down on a few due to not qualifying for the higher grade status', any ideas on this? Also, any info on that job and what that is involved with. My wife's uncle has been in the DEA for over 20 years and has been giving me some really great advice and shared his experiences with me, incredible stuff.
    Tests taken:
    Erie County Sheriff
    Erie County Police
    Catt County Sheriff
    Catt County Police
    NYS Park Patrol Officer Trainee
    score:85 rank:7xx
    NYS Correction Officer score:80 rank:26xx
    NYS Police score:97.xx rank:64xx
    CBP

Try gaining more experience. I just was hired by an agency with 7 years of banking and LE training. If possible in your area enroll in a local police academy. Try moving into your fraud or risk management department for a few years. Or join the reserves at any branch. I have learned build up your résumé as best as you can. Don't forget to look at other agencies as well. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoffs11 View Post
      On USAJobs.gov I've applied numerous times to different locations for a position in the DEA titled, Investigative Assistant (OA). With my prior CBP hiring process I was rated a G-5, I have a 4 year bachelors degree and nearly 3 years in banking. Some of the OA positions have been rated a G-5--G-7 status, I've been turned down on a few due to not qualifying for the higher grade status', any ideas on this? Also, any info on that job and what that is involved with. My wife's uncle has been in the DEA for over 20 years and has been giving me some really great advice and shared his experiences with me, incredible stuff.
      The federal government is big on having prior specialized experience to qualify for a higher grade. If you read the announcement, it's pretty specific:

Grade 07: Qualifying experience for the GS-7 level includes one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-6 level in the Federal service that included conducting complex law enforcement searches and queries; gathering data, preparing reports, and making recommendations; and identifying inaccuracies or anomalies in the information gathered.
      If this job is one you're set on, you might want to consider applying for every grade available, even if it's not the highest.

May I ask what you plan to do after getting hired? The promotion potential peaks at GS-07/10.

Comment

I planned on gaining experience in the position and potentially being able to raise my grade level, if possible. I would be open to moving around but I guess I'm not sure how the process works once you get into a position. I suppose I'm open to the reserves but would have to speak intently with my wife about such a commitment as we have a small child and we both work.
        Tests taken:
        Erie County Sheriff
        Erie County Police
        Catt County Sheriff
        Catt County Police
        CBP

Comment

I planned on gaining experience in the position and potentially being able to raise my grade level, if possible. I would be open to moving around but I guess I'm not sure how the process works once you get into a position. I suppose I'm open to the reserves but would have to speak intently with my wife about such a commitment as we have a small child and we both work.
          Getting from a GS-06 to GS-07 is easy. It takes one year.

My question was more about what sort of career you want. Most people posting to the o.com forums are not interested in administrative positions.

Comment

I def don't want an administrative position but it seems like a foot in the door area, and some are GS-05 positions which I qualify for. Can you make the leap from administrative over to the other side of it...? I would like to be an officer, detective, etc.
            Tests taken:
            Erie County Sheriff
            Erie County Police
            Catt County Sheriff
            Catt County Police
            CBP

Comment

Would joing, say the Army Reserves, bring up my status to a GS-06 of GS-07? Local police academy seems likea good idea, but it requires a 9-5 daily commitment for, I believe 20 weeks, and there is no way I could just not work and afford the academy and keep up with my student loan payments etc.
              Tests taken:
              Erie County Sheriff
              Erie County Police
              Catt County Sheriff
              Catt County Police
              CBP

Comment

Hoffs, you will never guess the reason why you get turned down for a government position. The federal hiring system is far from perfect, so don't worry about understanding why you don't get selected. If you do, you might be changing the good things you are doing when you apply.

I think some of these jobs are filled by staff that is already working in these positions as contractors (espantoon might expand on this, since I do not work for the dea). From what I have gathered, there are private companies that hire people as contactors to do the job of an DEA investigative assistant. When DEA advertises that position, they will hire those people who are already in their office and convert them to federal employees.

You can call the local office and get the name of the company that hires contractors for the DEA, and go from there.

Comment

Joining the reserves will not bump you up in GS level at all.

If you are eligible for a certain job, but not getting referred look at improving the writing of your resume. Fed resumes are not the same as private-sector resumes.

If you want to get more competitive, for federal LE work on your master’s degree while this budget fiasco is going on. However, don’t get a master’s degree because you think it will magically open doors in the fed LE world because it will not. Pursue the degree only if you enjoy your chosen major and can handle the debt/work load.

If you want to be a detective have you considered joining a local department? For the most part those are the guys who actually handle most of the “sexy” police work you see FBI agents doing on TV.

Comment

I def don't want an administrative position but it seems like a foot in the door area, and some are GS-05 positions which I qualify for. Can you make the leap from administrative over to the other side of it...? I would like to be an officer, detective, etc.
                    This position will not ultimately qualify you to be a special agent. You'll have to look elsewhere for relevant qualifying experience. In terms of getting a foot in the door, you will meet plenty of people, but they will not be able to help you if you are not qualified to apply for an 1811 position. I would recommend checking out this link to learn more about how to be qualified: http://www.justice.gov/dea/careers/agent/index.html

Originally posted by ForzaMilan View Post
                    I think some of these jobs are filled by staff that is already working in these positions as contractors (espantoon might expand on this, since I do not work for the dea). From what I have gathered, there are private companies that hire people as contactors to do the job of an DEA investigative assistant. When DEA advertises that position, they will hire those people who are already in their office and convert them to federal employees.
                    That's a pretty good summation of conversion for contractors to government employees. Sometimes the selection official already has someone in mind for the job. It's very difficult to get a job posted to usajobs when it's for a single position and is advertised all over the country. The ratio of applicants to positions is staggering.

Originally posted by saone View Post
                    If you want to be a detective have you considered joining a local department? For the most part those are the guys who actually handle most of the “sexy” police work you see FBI agents doing on TV.
                    Best advice yet.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips and pointers, so many helpful people with useful info. Very much appreciated.
                      Tests taken:
                      Erie County Sheriff
                      Erie County Police
                      Catt County Sheriff
                      Catt County Police
                      CBP

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6693 users online. 368 members and 6325 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X