300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resume advice

I've been looking over my resume lately and I realize that if definitely needs some touch ups. Especially with police applicants asking for resumes, I want it too look its best. So my question is: What kind of specifics do PD's look for on these resumes? Community service, skills, etc. I have a long list of jobs which stems from my inability in high school to stick with one. The past 3-4 years I've been consistent. Any sample resumes would be helpful!

The Sarge empathizes with your difficulty to hold down a job. Being zapped with gamma radiation from the fryer/hot lamp combo thereby turning you into a hostile, green behemoth when a burger pops and splatters grease on your arm has got to be an incredible burden. But, as a young 20-something, you've undoubtedly surpassed a bulk of the hormone-infused reactions that have, in the past, led to you spending your hard-earned income on a new wardrobe - what with having your shirts and pants torn to shreds every time you turn into a living engine of destruction and walking out of jobs with demolished uniforms and a pink slip.

As a starter, the Sarge would suggest removing "Incrediblehulk" from the top of your resume and using your legal name, Bruce Banner. It's really gonna help you out in the long run. Fo' real, tho. Perhaps you can illustrate how you've used your superior intellect in the field of physics for the "greater good." Police departments always like to see you're down with that.

In conclusion, the Sarge would suggest consulting with Frank Castle. As you probably know, he was an undercover FBI agent who laid aside the badge and doubled up on the guns after his family was brutally slaughtered (no relation to the Sarge). As Frank is a BTDT kinda guy, he can sit down and show you how to dot your i's with a 9mm. Or the cool little ellipses that may be used for dramatic effect (although rare, if ever on a resume) with a 3-round burst from an M-16.

Frankly, if that advice doesn't help, you may just need to search out a professional resume-writing service.
    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Unless you are applying with the Feds, I don't know of any agencies that accept resumes. A couple of members here have mentioned one or two departments that specifically aske for them, but most civil service agencies evaluate you based on your written and oral civil service scores.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
        Unless you are applying with the Feds, I don't know of any agencies that accept resumes. A couple of members here have mentioned one or two departments that specifically aske for them, but most civil service agencies evaluate you based on your written and oral civil service scores.
        Majority of the NJ agencies I have applied to asked for a resume even some of the civil service departments. Probably just depends on the area.

As far as what to put in the resume, my resume has stayed pretty much the same when I applied to LEO and non LEO jobs and there was never any issue. Maybe someone who has reviewed resumes can give you some specific input.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6741 users online. 339 members and 6402 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X